Mubo

N-400 Timelines

16 posts in this topic

Hey there, Welcome to VisaJourney!!

Check out the "Immigration Timelines" link on the top navigation bar. Click the citizenship section and play around with the data. It might give you a good idea.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
JUST FILED MY N-400. PLS WHAT IS THE LIKELY TIMELINE FOR THIS. DO YU ADVISE ME TO FILE I 130 FOR MY WIFE . WE JUST GOT MARRIED. I AM A NOVICE SO PLS ADVICE ME SO THAT I WILL NOT MAKE MISTAKE.

PLS MORE COMMENT ON THIS GUYS!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
JUST FILED MY N-400. PLS WHAT IS THE LIKELY TIMELINE FOR THIS. DO YU ADVISE ME TO FILE I 130 FOR MY WIFE . WE JUST GOT MARRIED. I AM A NOVICE SO PLS ADVICE ME SO THAT I WILL NOT MAKE MISTAKE.

What is your local office? That is the timeline you could follow. But every case is different. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112463

Good luck.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

If you just filed your N400, you applied to be a US Citizen. I am assuming then you are a greencard holder. I would advice you to wait till you gain your Citizenship before filing I-130 for your wife. Reason being, after Citizenship she will be wife of a US Citizen and not Wife of a Permanent Resident. Big diference. As wife of a Citizen she does not have to wait for Visa Number Availability (which could take 5 years or more to see the fruits of the I-130). As a citizen's wife, she will not need to wait for a visa to be available, and the I-130 could be approved in less that a year (depending on various situations).

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Timeline

If you just filed your N400, you applied to be a US Citizen. I am assuming then you are a greencard holder. I would advice you to wait till you gain your Citizenship before filing I-130 for your wife. Reason being, after Citizenship she will be wife of a US Citizen and not Wife of a Permanent Resident. Big diference. As wife of a Citizen she does not have to wait for Visa Number Availability (which could take 5 years or more to see the fruits of the I-130). As a citizen's wife, she will not need to wait for a visa to be available, and the I-130 could be approved in less that a year (depending on various situations).

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Thanks Gracey but i am of the opinion that if the i130 is approved and i became citizen , i can request to change the status of approved petition according to my lawyer but the issue now is that, if it is already sent to nvc, i might not be able to change status as a friend told me. Pls advise and help post to fellow VJs. i am a green card holder as you said since 2001 but because i only started residing in 2005, i was denied initially on ground of non maintating my resedency but am more than 30 months within now and i can file back. Thanks for more advice

What is your local office? That is the timeline you could follow. But every case is different. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112463

Good luck.

Thanks.

Vermont

Filed: Timeline

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Thanks Gracey but i am of the opinion that if the i130 is approved and i became citizen , i can request to change the status of approved petition according to my lawyer but the issue now is that, if it is already sent to nvc, i might not be able to change status as a friend told me. Pls advise and help post to fellow VJs. i am a green card holder as you said since 2001 but because i only started residing in 2005, i was denied initially on ground of non maintating my resedency but am more than 30 months within now and i can file back. Thanks for more advice

Good luck.

Thanks.

Vermont

You can always upgrade a petition submitted as an LPR after the alien becomes a US citizen. My question is only this. Did you acquire PR through a former marriage? If so, I believe an alien must wait until they've been an LPR for 5 years before petitioning a spouse.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Vermont

You can always upgrade a petition submitted as an LPR after the alien becomes a US citizen. My question is only this. Did you acquire PR through a former marriage? If so, I believe an alien must wait until they've been an LPR for 5 years before petitioning a spouse.

NO. I came with green card in 2001 stayed 8 months and i went back. Came in after 11 months stayed 4weeks and left again, stayed another 11 months and came here for visit of 5 wks. I only started staying permanently in 2005 April. Initial denial of N_400 was because, i stayed out more that a no of days but can refile having been resided for over 30months which i am now and that is why i am re-filing. However, am just married in africa and i want to know if to start the I-130 for my

NO. I came with green card in 2001 stayed 8 months and i went back. Came in after 11 months stayed 4weeks and left again, stayed another 11 months and came here for visit of 5 wks. I only started staying permanently in 2005 April. Initial denial of N_400 was because, i stayed out more that a no of days but can refile having been resided for over 30months which i am now and that is why i am re-filing. However, am just married in africa and i want to know if to start the I-130 for my

If you only started staying permanently in 2005 April, and if you're not married to a US Citizen, you won't be eligible for citizenship until 2010 April. You can file the paperwork 90 days before you have five years in the US, which would be January of 2010.

Any time you spend six months or more outside of the US, you lose all accrued time for the purpose of meeting the "continuous residence" requirement for citizenship. When you return from a trip of six months or more, you start accumulating continuous residence time.

I'm assuming your wife isn't a US Citizen; otherwise you wouldn't be petitioning for her. Therefore, you need to spend five years in the US as an LPR with no trips of more than six months outside the US.

I'm not sure I understand your timeline completely, so my dates would be wrong if your starting date is something other than April of 2005.

I would also be somewhat concerned about abandonment of status issues. In particular, it may be unwise to use the phrase "I only started staying permanently in 2005 April", or "I came to the US for a visit of five weeks". By law, if you're not continuously maintaining your residence permanently in the US, you are not entitled to your green card. You wouldn't want them to retroactively determine that you abandoned status long ago.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

check your eligibility in this official worksheet http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-480.pdf

My PAST Timelines:

10/2004 - Conditional GC

08/2006 - 10/2007 - Lifting Conditions timeline

10/2007 - 6/26/2009 Citizenship, Los Angeles DO timeline

auBam7.png

CSC i-130 for my Mom

06/30/09 - delivered

07/06/09 - NOA date (rec'd - 07/10) #WAC 09xxx3, touched.

07/08/09 - check cashed, #WAC 09xxx2 (not online)

08/29/09 - APPROVED!!!

NVC

09/14/09 - NVC case # assigned, emails registered

09/17/09 - email AOS bill received and paid online, ds3032 received and returned

09/21/09 - AOS bill status "PAID", FedExed out AOS, 09/24/09 delivered to NVC

09/28/09 - AVR:AOS acknowledged

10/02/09 - 3032 was acknol. by NVC, paid IV Bill online

10/05/09 - emails: 1 pm -RFE for 3032, 3 pm - IV bill, 5 pm - status PAID

10/09/09 - ds230 delivered to NVC at 9am

10/14/09 - AVR: Checklist response was received

10/20/09 - login failed! - between 5 pm and 9 pm PST, at 5 pm it was still working

10/21/09 - case complete! (AVR updated after 10 pm) = total NVC 37 days

10/28/09 - interview date email came at 6.30 pm, no AVR changes yet

10/30/09 - AVR: "Case sent to embassy on Oct 29" = total 4 months from delivery of i130 to USCIS

11/02/09 - Medical

11/20/09 - Interview - PASSED!!!

11/28 - POE: LAX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Vermont

Hi Mubo

Like someone already... and here are the points to note

1. If you are a green card holder, AND have consistently resided in the US for five years AND did not get your greencard through marriage to a US citizen, THEN chances of getting your Citizenship approved are very good.

2. If you apply for your spouse the form I-130 before you become a citizenship, you are just wasting a lot of time since you will not be given priority like the Citizens do. Check the processing times for greencard holders who applied for their spouses in the USCIS website, last time I checked they are now processing early 2002 applications.

3. If you apply for Citizenship (if determined eligible) you will probably be sworn in in less than 8 months (at least in Texas Service Center) and turn around and file your I-130 to bring your spouse which should be approved in about another 8 months.

If you do the math, its more worthwhile to file as a Citizen.

Hope this helps

Gracey. PS (the wrong timeline will show under my name, for which I apologize - since I've graduated to the I-129 filing. I check on the citizens-to-be forum to see where I can help....if I can)

Timeline

Hope this helps.

Gracey.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Vermont

Hi Mubo

Like someone already... and here are the points to note

1. If you are a green card holder, AND have consistently resided in the US for five years AND did not get your greencard through marriage to a US citizen, THEN chances of getting your Citizenship approved are very good.

2. If you apply for your spouse the form I-130 before you become a citizenship, you are just wasting a lot of time since you will not be given priority like the Citizens do. Check the processing times for greencard holders who applied for their spouses in the USCIS website, last time I checked they are now processing early 2002 applications.

3. If you apply for Citizenship (if determined eligible) you will probably be sworn in in less than 8 months (at least in Texas Service Center) and turn around and file your I-130 to bring your spouse which should be approved in about another 8 months.

If you do the math, its more worthwhile to file as a Citizen.

Hope this helps

Gracey. PS (the wrong timeline will show under my name, for which I apologize - since I've graduated to the I-129 filing. I check on the citizens-to-be forum to see where I can help....if I can)

Thanks so much. You are so thoughtful.. As i told u, i was denied and told that i can apply after being here over 30 months. I have a lot health issues. I reaaly need hel. Am even thin king of contacting my last case that they closed now that i have met their requirement so that i wont go thru all this stages again. Anyway, just advise on the way forward more.

Thanks

I filed my n400 in may 2007 and i didnt get my receipt until november and went in for finger prints in december. I just recently got my interview notice and i go in on april 5th. I am however a bit worried because i got arrested for a dui in 2004 but was found not guilty and got off with a speeding ticket. Do i have reason to be worrying? I hired a lawyer to represent me but i just want some more opinions on this..thanks =)

• 3 years later...

Yes you should file I-130 straight away as it takes long to approve. Once you are citizen upgrade it to save time

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

FYI - you're replying to a thread from 3 yrs ago - may not be relevant :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.