Cecile and Bryan

International Driver license in Missouri

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello all

Apparently in Missouri, you can't get an SSN until AOS. Therefore, you can't get a driver license until then.

My fiance sent this email to the DMV:

"I live in the Saint Louis metro ware and I am going to be bringing my Fiancee from France to marry. We are trying to find information on driving restrictions and licensing for when she arrives.

When she arrives in the US is she able to drive on her France issued Drivers license and for how long? Does Missouri accept an International Driver’s Permit? Are there any special restrictions for immigrant drivers?"

And here is their answer:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry regarding driving in Missouri.

If you have a valid current driver license from your home country, and it is printed in English, you may drive while visiting in the state of Missouri. If your valid current driver license from your home country is not printed in English, you must also have a valid current International Driving Permit issued in the same country. Please contact your home country licensing authorities for information about the International Driving Permit.

This would allow you to drive any properly-insured/registered vehicle of the proper classification (for example, unless you have a motorcycle endorsement, you cannot operate a motorcycle). Any restrictions on your license (such as corrective lenses) must be observed as well."

So apparently I can drive with my French DL if I have the International driving permit. But I wonder about the word visiting. If I arrive with a K1 visa, will I be visiting? if yes, when does it stop being a "visit"? is it when AOS is done and I get the 2 year GC? is it when I get married?

What do you think?

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

here is a link for you to print and take to ss office you can get ssn before aos k-1 are able to get ssn and work

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

if you scroll down half way you will see k-1 listed

good luck

Timeline

Thank you I'll try that!

But in case it wouldn't work, I would still love to know how long I can drive with my French DL over there!

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Thank you I'll try that!

But in case it wouldn't work, I would still love to know how long I can drive with my French DL over there!

Hi,

i remember reading that driving with a french or intl DL was okay for 6 months as a VISITOR, or 3 months if IMMIGRANT (which is our case i believe once we're married)...

I'm still driving with my french and intl DL for now, because the RMV is such a pain in the back to deal with... i just got rejected 2 times in a row this week when applying for a permit, and the lady has been so despiteful and suspicious to me when looking at my international DL. it was horrible. they just always find a paper that is not acceptable for them, and believe me, after all we've been through with USCIS, i know my papers!!!! she even told me "anyway miss your visa expires at the end of the month, so you'll be going back to your country, huh?" ... she got me angry. She also told me that they didn't accept a month to month lease agreement as a proof of residency, and i was using my passport as a proof of birth, because they couldn't accept my french birth certificate+consulate/USCIS agreed english translation..... and yes, my visa expires on march 23rd, but i'm married now, and i have filed for AOS+EAD. SO hopefully i won't have to "go back to my country". I don't even know if i'm gonna be able to take the road test and permit before i get the green card, with all this now...

Anyway, good luck on tacking the permit and road test again. You know they don't transcript foreign DL. And make sure you get some utlities bills under your name as a proof of residency for that kind of agencies!

mag

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Thank you I'll try that!

Hi,

i remember reading that driving with a french or intl DL was okay for 6 months as a VISITOR, or 3 months if IMMIGRANT (which is our case i believe once we're married)...

I'm still driving with my french and intl DL for now, because the RMV is such a pain in the back to deal with... i just got rejected 2 times in a row this week when applying for a permit, and the lady has been so despiteful and suspicious to me when looking at my international DL. it was horrible. they just always find a paper that is not acceptable for them, and believe me, after all we've been through with USCIS, i know my papers!!!! she even told me "anyway miss your visa expires at the end of the month, so you'll be going back to your country, huh?" ... she got me angry. She also told me that they didn't accept a month to month lease agreement as a proof of residency, and i was using my passport as a proof of birth, because they couldn't accept my french birth certificate+consulate/USCIS agreed english translation..... and yes, my visa expires on march 23rd, but i'm married now, and i have filed for AOS+EAD. SO hopefully i won't have to "go back to my country". I don't even know if i'm gonna be able to take the road test and permit before i get the green card, with all this now...

Anyway, good luck on tacking the permit and road test again. You know they don't transcript foreign DL. And make sure you get some utlities bills under your name as a proof of residency for that kind of agencies!

mag

Getting a DL in some states is just really lame. My husband has been waiting since November for a friggin Learner's Permit. Every time I try to call the Central Verification Office, they don't answer the phone and the mailbox is full. It is truly ridiculous. Anyway, I feel your annoyance with the BMV.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank you I'll try that!

well you can drive as long as you tell them your a visitor 6 month is about the norm. or drive till you get pulled over and tell them you havent been here that long or till dmv gets you a lic. hehehhe sorry for that but drunk drivers drive all the time with out a lic. it is really a shame when someone is doing the right thing and they get treated like a leapor

good luck

Timeline

Thank you all for the information, yes I know this is a pain in the ####, I know that won't be easy. That's why I'm trying to gather all this information: to try to do things right and not make it worse than it's going to be.

Hi,

so if you're true that would mean that I can drive with my DL until 3 months after the marriage? It sounds good.

Would anyone have an 'official' proof of that statement?

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: Timeline

Well at least when you get your SSN and learner's permit, the actual Missouri test will be a piece of cake. Just drive around your local Walmart parking lot in a huge pick up truck with a faded Bush/Cheney sticker on the bumper and a couple of dead deer tied up in the back. Aim for the closest parking spot near the entrance to the store and put your foot down and accelarate whilst using one hand to eat a half pound cheeseburger and the other hand to chat into your phone while listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd on the car stereo. If you get that coverted parking place next to the door of Walmart so you don't have to walk an unnecessary 2 feet 4 inches then you are given a Missouri Driver's License. That's how I got mine. I now drive a Toyota but 'Freebird' still gets played on my stereo now and again. :)

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi there !!! I live in MO and once you get married and file for your SSN then yo will be able to get your drivers License !!! Hope that Helps !!!! My Faincee and I are stuck here IN Juarez Mexico waiting for our Appeal for our K1 Visa Congratualtions on yours !

I arrived in MO, applied for my SSN then married. I went for my DL's, and they told me until I got my GC I couldn't get a MO license. I drove on my Canadian license from January when I arrived until August when I got my GC and then went and took my road and written test (yes, you have to take both :angry: ). I got different answers from different people on how long I could drive on my Cdn. license and never did get a straight answer so I just drove with it. I was covered under my husbands auto insurance as soon as I got here as well. I know another VJ'er from here and her husband could not get his license until he got his GC as well...not just a notice that you've applied for AOS, your actual GC. So, that's what I know and have experienced! Best of luck!

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.