38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

2009 HHS Poverty Guidelines

per: I-864P

I-864P.gif

Edited by Captain Ewok
Updated for 2009

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
HI,

WHAT IS AT LEAST THE SALARY OF USC TO BE CONSIDERED IN POVERTY LEVEL? :unsure:

THANKS..

Those are the limits that Ewok posted. For example, if you have a household of 2, then you need to make at least $17,500 (125%) unless your embassy looks at the 100% level. This is for the I-134. For the I-864 you need to look at the 125% level.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
HI,

THANKS..

Those are the limits that Ewok posted. For example, if you have a household of 2, then you need to make at least $17,500 (125%) unless your embassy looks at the 100% level. This is for the I-134. For the I-864 you need to look at the 125% level.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION... :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok so I got this letter in the mail today which states:

"The petitioner/sponsor's income on the Federal income tax return does not meet or exceed 125% of the poverty guideline. The petitioner/sponsor's current income listed on form I-864 is sufficient; however, no evidence has been submitted as proof of current income.

In order to process your application further, submit evidence of the petitioner/sponsors current income."

The letter also states to submit federal income tax of the most recent year. We havent filled 07 because she has not received the W-2s yet.

I dont understand this.

First of all my household is of 6 and we live in NY state. That means my wife needs to make $35,500 a year. I sent her tax returns for the last year, 06. She has not filled for the 2007 year yet because she is still receiving her W-2s. She made 55K the year before and 56K the year 07 and I listed that because I sent the paper work in the month of december of 2007. I sent her 06 tax report.

Why are they asking for more evidence and what can I send to them. Her current paycheck stubs?

Does it mean that she does qualify or does not. I think 56 > 35 so why are they saying that does not meet or exceed 125%.

Thanks guys.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
First of all my household is of 6 and we live in NY state. That means my wife needs to make $35,500 a year. I sent her tax returns for the last year, 06. She has not filled for the 2007 year yet because she is still receiving her W-2s. She made 55K the year before and 56K the year 07 and I listed that because I sent the paper work in the month of december of 2007. I sent her 06 tax report.

Why are they asking for more evidence and what can I send to them. Her current paycheck stubs?

Does it mean that she does qualify or does not. I think 56 > 35 so why are they saying that does not meet or exceed 125%.

Thanks guys.

I don't know why they are asking for more documentation when she sufficiently meets the previous years income - below is a guideline of what you should send:

b2 Job Letters and Proof of Income.

Pay stub(s) showing income for the most recent 6 months and letters from all current employers are no longer required as initial evidence. The applicant, however, may submit either or both of these items (1) in response to a request for additional evidence (RFE), or (2) with a Form I-864 if the applicant believes doing so would help establish that the sponsor meets the governing income/assets threshold. If submitted, letters from current employers should show dates of employment, the nature of the job, wages or salary earned, number of hours/weeks worked, and prospects for future employment and advancement. It should be sufficient for the employer to say that the employment is of indefinite duration or words of similar effect. Promises of future employment are not required. link

Edited by trailmix

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, I'm not sure I get this...

How can you have a household of one? Do they mean before you and your spouse get together, assuming it's just you and your spouse? If not, then you'd always have a household of at least two people; maybe more, if children or other family members were involved. :unsure:

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm pretty sure they will count your soon-to-be spouse as one of the members of the household. So, the minimum should be 2, if you live alone without dependents. someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
Okay, I'm not sure I get this...

How can you have a household of one? Do they mean before you and your spouse get together, assuming it's just you and your spouse? If not, then you'd always have a household of at least two people; maybe more, if children or other family members were involved. :unsure:

I think they are just talking about if you are single. The poverty guidelines are used by HHS for getting public assistance benefits also not just immigrations ;)

Click for full timeline

• 2 weeks later...
HI,

THANKS..

right, i remember reading a longgg time ago that generally the i-134 looks for 100% of the poverty guideline and the i-184 looks for 125%...is this true??? if its 125% then i would just squeak by for 2007, if its 100% then im ay-okay.

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Timeline
HI,

THANKS..

right, i remember reading a longgg time ago that generally the i-134 looks for 100% of the poverty guideline and the i-184 looks for 125%...is this true??? if its 125% then i would just squeak by for 2007, if its 100% then im ay-okay.

I think the 100% or 125% depends on the consulate.

But, since your interview is before April 15, you should be OK with the 2007 guidelines.

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

What was the increase from 2007? Was there an increase? It doesnt seem like it to me.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Timeline
What was the increase from 2007? Was there an increase? It doesnt seem like it to me.

There was an increase...don't remember what it was.

Click for full timeline

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a quick question and hopefully someone can help me out with it. My fiance, Eric, has been paying child support on the side and it never used to affect his income. And according to the guides, he was above the 125% for a 2 person household.

But in two weeks he will be going to court and there is talk of them taking child support off of his pay which will affect his income. I'm also wondering, will we have to cliam it as a 3 person household even though his daughter is living with the mother? If that is the case then it looks like we will be under the 100% and need to find a co-sponsor.

Thanks guys for any help that you can provide!

Timeline
I have a quick question and hopefully someone can help me out with it. My fiance, Eric, has been paying child support on the side and it never used to affect his income. And according to the guides, he was above the 125% for a 2 person household.

But in two weeks he will be going to court and there is talk of them taking child support off of his pay which will affect his income. I'm also wondering, will we have to cliam it as a 3 person household even though his daughter is living with the mother? If that is the case then it looks like we will be under the 100% and need to find a co-sponsor.

Thanks guys for any help that you can provide!

I don't understand why child support will affect his income.

If they take the child support out of his income it stays the same, its just that his take home pay is less, but his gross income does not change. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Since he is supporting his daughter, he should list her as being a partial dependent on the I-134. I don't know how that would affect the household size. I *think* you would need to meet the household of 3 requirements.

Of course, I could be totally wrong :)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.