Filed: Timeline

[petitioner's address]Minnesota

U.S. Department Of Homeland Security

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680

Nature of Submission: I-130 Application

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed please find my Form I-130, Petition for Alien Spouse for [bENEFICIARY] and supporting documents. Contents include:

1. Form I-130.

2. G-325A Biographic Information.

3. Copy of U.S. Spouse's U.S. Passport.

4. Copy of Certificate Of Marriage.

5. One (1) color photo 2x2 of Petitioner.

6. Copy of Petitioner's Birth Certificate.

7. Copy of Beneficiary's Birth Certificate.

8. Five (5) pieces of Pictures as a secondary evidence of Bonafide Marriage.

9. Check in the amount of $355.00 for application fee.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter

Very truly yours,

Petitioner

that's the cover letter for my wife's application, and now, i have no idea what's for her son (my stepson).,i mean, in his cover letter, what does it include?... i am trying to do this without a lawyer and i hope members here can assist me, me and my wife will really appreciate it.

are we using the right terms?

thanks a lot

Larry

Filed: Timeline

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680

Dear Sir or Madam:

Enclosed please find my Form I-130, Petition for Alien Spouse for [bENEFICIARY] and supporting documents. Contents include:

1. Form I-130.

4. Copy of Foreign Spouse's Passport.

5. Copy of Certificate Of Marriage.

6. One (1) passport-style photograph of Petitioner.

7. One (1) passport-style photograph of Beneficiary.

8. Copy of Petitioner's Birth Certificate.

9. Copy of Beneficiary's Birth Certificate.

10. Five (5) pieces of Pictures as a secondary evidence of Bonafide Marriage.

11. Check in the amount of $355.00 for application fee.

Very truly yours,

Petitioner

I hope i got this right.

Larry

Edited by lawrence_jeramie

hey larry-

here is an example of my cover letter for my IV package. i can't find the original from my 1-130 package but this is the same format, just different items. my 1-130 got approved without problem.

my name

my address

United States Department of Homeland Security

National Visa Center

National Visa Center

32 Rochester Avenue

Portsmouth, NH 03801-2909

December 14, 2007

Nature of the submission: Application for Immigrant Visa packet, DS-230, Original Submissions for CR-1 Spousal Visa

To Whom It May Concern,

Enclosed please find my Form DS-230, Application for Immigrant Visa, and all supporting documents.

Contents include:

-Barcode Sheet

- DS-230 form

-Marriage Certificate, Translation, And Translation Certification

-Birth Certificate from the Central Registry, Translation, And Translation Certification

-Police Record, Translation, And Translation Certification

-Birth Certificate for Son (who will not be accompanying the Applicant), Translation, and Translation Certification

-Copy of Biographic Data Page of Passport

-Affidavit of Support from xxxxxxxxxxxx

All forms submitted are in original form, except for the Copy of the Passport, which is an unaltered color copy.

Signed,

hope this helps!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your cover letter looks nice !

CR1 application

I-130: 03/26/2007-07/02/2007 at NSC

NVC: 07/20/2007-11/08/2007

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 01/18/2008

(2 months' additional security checks)

Received Green Card: 05/12/2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751: 2/25/10-

Hey Larry,

You should have 4 pages of the G325-A for yourself and for your spouse..

As for Cover Sheet.. I never really made a coversheet till my wife's DS-230 submission..

But a cover sheet is nice though..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680

Dear Sir or Madam:

1. Form I-130.

Very truly yours,

Petitioner

that's the cover letter for my wife's application, and now, i have no idea what's for her son (my stepson).,i mean, in his cover letter, what does it include?... i am trying to do this without a lawyer and i hope members here can assist me, me and my wife will really appreciate it.

thanks a lot

Larry

I would be careful to list the contents in their order of appearance in the stack. The check should be first and is not an application fee. It is a processing fee. You aren't applying. You're petitioning. Later your spouse will apply for a visa based on the approved petition.

There should be a G325a for petitioner and another for beneficiary. Passport copy should be "all pages", so your description should reflect that as well. You may use a copy of your birth certificate instead.

Item 5 should be a color passport photo but you need one for the beneficiary too.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 10 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680

Dear Sir or Madam:

1. Form I-130.

8. Five (5) pieces of Pictures as a secondary evidence of Bona-fide Marriage.

Very truly yours,

Petitioner

thanks a lot

Larry

I would be careful to list the contents in their order of appearance in the stack. The check should be first and is not an application fee. It is a processing fee. You aren't applying. You're petitioning. Later your spouse will apply for a visa based on the approved petition.

There should be a G325a for petitioner and another for beneficiary. Passport copy should be "all pages", so your description should reflect that as well. You may use a copy of your birth certificate instead.

Item 5 should be a color passport photo but you need one for the beneficiary too.

Boy your fantastic, I hope you don't mind if I add you as a friend in case I might need your help.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Timeline

Ok well this is the information I found I hope it helps you one in any way.

BE WARNED:

You must qualify to file for an I-130 in the US. Not everyone does, and in some cases doing so can be considered fraud and result in being deported and banned from re-entry into the US for a period of time. If you attempt to file and you do not qualify your legal status in the US can be placed in jeopardy. J1 Visa holders will almost always require a waiver and should consult with an immigration lawyer or the USCIS for more information. If you have any doubt, consult an immigration attorney.

If your fiance/fiancee came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, and you are not yet married, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the K-1 visa should be filed (using an I-129f) instead of the I-130 to avoid a denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

If you are already married, and your spouse came to the US on a tourist visa with the intent of immigration and marriage, then he/she should return to his/her home abroad, and the I-130 (or along with an I-129f for a K-3 Visa) should be filed with the relative outside of the U.S. to avoid denial, deportation, or even being banned from re-entry to the US.

The above conditions are serious and can result in the separation of families for many years if not taken seriously.

Download the Following Forms:

1. I-130

2. G-325a

2. I-864

2. I-485

2. I-765 (optional)

2. I-131 (optional)

The above forms can be filled out on your computer and printed. Make sure you sign and date them as required. Anything you cannot fit by typing, you can handwrite (very neatly) in black ink in the blank instead. You should always verify the current forms at www.uscis.gov.

Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.): 1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-130), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-130: Petition for Alien Relative

4. Copy of the Full Birth certificate (front and back) for the US Citizen or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship.

5. A copy of petitioner's proof of naturalization. (If applicable)

6. A copy of petitioner's proof of permanent residency. (If applicable)

7. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate and/or passport along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

9. A certified official copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If one or both of you have been divorced before)

10. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died)

11. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated

12. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

13. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the foreign spouse signed and dated

14. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the beneficiary on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of (insert name) ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

15. Evidence of a bonafide marriage (see note below for what to include)

Note: Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

Assembling the I-485 Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.): 1. Payment as required by USCIS. Be sure to include the payment for both the I-485 and the biometrics fee*. Use a money order so you can track the payment. If a personal check is allowed, use that instead.

>> The fee for I-485 applications filed on or after July 30th 2007 inlcudes the cost of the I-131 and I-765 (no need to pay for them if filed with or while your I-485 application is pending adjudication -- as long as you paid the "new" rate for the I-485 effective July 30th 2007).

2. Cover Letter. Should include a description of what your are petitioning for (I-485), a table of contents (list everything in the packet). If you need additional room to explain your case, attach a separate sheet (list the attachment on the cover sheet). Make sure to sign and date the cover sheet.

3. Form I-485: Petition for Alien Relative

4. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses Passport (biographical page as well as entry stamps).

5. Copy of the non US Citizen Spouses valid I-94 (front and back copies)

6. A copy of the intending immigrant's birth certificate along with English translation. (If in any language other than English)

7. A certified copy of your marriage certificate. (If filing for your spouse)

8. A copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both of you have been divorced before)

9. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If filing for a spouse, and one or both have you were married before, and the prior spouse died)

10. Two passport-type photos (see specification) of the Non US Citizen Spouse. Write the full name on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of <Insert Name>". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325a.

11. G-325A (all four pages) filled out,signed and dated

12. I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status

13. I-864, Affidavit of Support (see poverty limits here)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation

14. I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, if you want to work while your application is processed (optional)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment per USCIS instructions.

15. I-131, Application for Travel Document, if you need to travel outside the United States while your application is processed (optional)

>> Include any additional required supporting documentation or photos as well as payment per USCIS instructions.

16. I-485 Supplement A, and penalty fee if applicable. See 8 CFR 245.10

17. I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Excludability**, if applicable

* Fingerprint fee not needed for applicants under 14

** an I-601 is NO FEE, if, and ONLY if filed WITH an I-485. Later filing DOES require a fee. Whether to file an I-601 is an important decision -- like the J-1, consulation with an attorney is recommended.

Add an overall cover page:

It is useful to add an overall cover sheet with the description of the package and pertinent information such as the applicants name and address. Make sure the cover sheet indicates the package is an Immediate Relative (Spouse) Family Based Adjustment of Status Application with a concurrent I-130 filing. List the major contents of the package (i.e. I-485 and evidence, I-130 and evidence, I-765, I-131,etc).

Where to File Everything:

Applicants are required to mail applications to a national mailbox (Chicago) as stated on the form (not your local USCIS office). The only case in which you may file at a local office is for the following locations: Dallas District Office, El Paso District Office, and the Oklahoma City Sub Office. Please read this notice if your local USCIS office is any of these locations.

Be sure to mail the package with return receipt requested / delivery confirmation. Send via USPS.

IMPORTANT!

Make TWO copies of the entire package before you send it in. This includes the money orders too. You want to have a perfect replica of the package you are sending in. All Forms that you submit must be originals with original signatures. Supporting Evidence that you submit may be photocopies. Retain ALL original supporting Evidence since the USCIS has the right to check them by issuing an RFE (Request For Evidence). If you receive an RFE, follow the direction exactly, and make two copies of what you sent back. During any future interviews the USCIS may also want to examine the original supporting evidence.

After Filing: What to do?

Now starts the waiting game. If you filed for an EAD, your spouse will get their Employment Authorization Document approved in 30 to 90 days and will be scheduled to have their picture taken and to have their EAD card issued.

After your spouse has received their EAD, the real wait begins. I-485's can take several months to couple years for approval, and often leaves the petitioner feeling completely hopeless of ever receiving approval. DO NOT GIVE UP! Though it seems like forever, the CIS will eventually get to your petitions!

Your spouse may also be required to have a medical sometime during the AOS process. The medical must be done by a CIS accredited doctor. Your CIS office should give you a list of CIS accredited doctors in your area, if not check with your local office to get one. The medical exam can cost anywhere from $100-200 dollars, many physicians will not take a check, but only accept cash. Be prepared of the cost before your spouse gets this done. It would be wise to collect their vaccination information before going to the appointment as the doctor will need to have record of them. At the appointment your spouse will be tested for TB, AIDS and Syphilis. If they do the skin test for TB, they will be required to return to the CIS doctors office to have the site checked before they finish the exam paperwork. Note: Some CIS Offices allow you to schedule your appointment when you want, as long as it is done before the AOS appointment, check with your CIS office to see how they handle CIS medical exams before filing your AOS paperwork.

Your spouse will be required to have biometrics taken at some point including fingerprints and photo's. This can typically precede the interview date by up to 15 months, however is ussually much closer. Eventually you will receive a letter from the CIS informing you of your interview date. You and your spouse will need to bring supporting evidence of the relationship... i.e. photos, joint checking account, joint lease, joint mortgage, and birth certificates of children if any etc. Also, it is very important to bring the current passport of the applicant, as the CIS will stamp his/her passport with the I-551 stamp if they are approved. This stamp is proof of permanent residency that can be used until they receive their greencard. This normally can take up to six months. The interview is fairly painless and may be video recorded and lasts between 15-30 minutes.

NOTE: If you are married less than 2 years, your spouse will have to renew his/her greencard 2 years from issuance by filing the I-751 to remove conditional status.

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

• 9 months later...
8. A certified copy of your certified marriage certificate (again, translated if not in Engligh)

9. A certified official copy of the petitioner's and/or intending immigrant's divorce documents. (If one or both of you have been divorced before)

The I-130 instructions are to submit a "copy of your marriage certificate." I took this to mean "photocopy." How does one know that the "copy" referred to in the instructions is just a "photocopy" or a "certified copy"?

Has anyone here submitted just a photocopy of their marriage certificate with their I-130?

Edited by Armenia

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Finland
Timeline

I didn't send any certified copies of anything at this stage. The new 325A is only one page now.

I also submitted only pages of my passport that reflected the stamps from visits to see my husband as more proof, plus proof of citizenship. I didn't include anything else-I'm not sure why they want to know that I went to the Cook Islands five years ago or other trips when I wasn't with him at that time!

Edited by FinnLove

Our timeline:

2/88: We met in Sydney, Australia at a youth hostel! He's Finnish, I'm American-both were in our early 20s at the time and fresh out of college (so couldn't afford to visit each other's countries after that!). We had a three-day romance, then went our separate ways. He actually was going to Sydney a week later, but decided at the last minute to cut his trip short in another country and go early. Wow.

1988-1998: Wrote "snail mail" letters/sent Xmas cards, but lived our separate lives. I married someone else, divorced in 2006...he lived with someone for years and then that ended.

10/08: Because of a series of random life events, I Googled my Finn Man and found him (but no link to his email, and the website his name was on was in Estonian so I couldn't even read it!). It took me two weeks to find a link to someone else, who forwarded my email to him (we were both single at the time thankfully!!!!). The email went to his spam folder but he happened to check it that day and responded back to me immediately! This was after 10 years of no contact and almost 21 years of not seeing each other after we first met.

11/08-5/09: We traveled back and forth to visit each other. Love at first (second?) sight!

7/09: Married in Helsinki, Finland...after meeting randomly 21 1/2 years ago and finding each other again!!!!!

8/13/09: I-130 sent!!!!!!!!!

Rest is on my timeline!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

P.O. Box 804625

Chicago, IL 60680

Dear Sir or Madam:

1. Form I-130.

2. G-325A Biographic Information forms for petitioner and beneficiary

5. Color photos 2x2 of Petitioner and Beneficiary

7. Copy of Beneficiary's Birth Certificate. This is not needed at this stage.

9. Check in the amount of $355.00 for application fee. This should be item number 1.

Very truly yours,

Petitioner

thanks a lot

Larry

A similar letter is used for the step-son but just list the items required with his petition. He DOES need a birth certificate with the petition.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Timeline

THIS HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL ON DOING A COVER LETTER . THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE EXAMPLES . ZAWGYOSAMA

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.