inthomas

How Do I Speak to a live person at USCIS via telephone?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Good day everyone,

For the last couple of weeks I have been calling USCIS helpline at 1 800 375 5283 to ask a question regarding my fiancee's K1 visa. I always call during their posted operating hours ( 8am to 6pm ), but I can never through to anyone. The information on the automated messages does not answer my questions.

My question is : does anyone know how to navigate through the helpline to guarantee to get through to a live person? What is the number succession one should push once they are at the main menu of the helpline? I have gotten through to people in the past, but now once I get to place where there previously was an option to talk to someone, the recorded voice just says to call back during normal operating hours (but I'm calliing during normal operating hours).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't even know if they have live people that work there. Maybe it's only 1 robot and this robot doesn't answer the phone, considering the delay on the cases I wouldn't doubt that.

Good luck for you though. Take a day off work and spend on the phone, who knows, maybe you get lucky.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

There are live people at the USCIS? I always heard they were zombies! "Must slow down the petitions...." (effectively eating away at our brains! :lol:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Ive got through many times but that was a very long time ago. It may be due to the holidays. Good luck! What were you going to ask them?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I actually got through one time and got to speak to a real live Officer. I know because he didn't know the answer to my question and had to ask his supervisor.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Ive got through many times but that was a very long time ago. It may be due to the holidays. Good luck! What were you going to ask them?

I would like to ask a couple of things.

1) I applied to the California office because on the newest I-129F forms, it lists California as the filing center if you live in Illinois (with Vermont being the only other center). However, there is a lot of information on the USCIS website that suggests that people can still send this application to Nebraska, Texas, Vermont or Cali service center. What is the correct service center for someone moving shortly to Illinois? ( I move there in February....I've been living in Belgium the last three years.)

2) If USPS can confirm to me that they delivered my application packet on Nov 28, 2007, should I expect to have received by now my first notification that USCIS has my file? I've seen nothing yet from them and the check has not posted yet either....just wondering if this is normal or behind schedule.

I would like to ask a couple of things.

1) I applied to the California office because on the newest I-129F forms, it lists California as the filing center if you live in Illinois (with Vermont being the only other center). However, there is a lot of information on the USCIS website that suggests that people can still send this application to Nebraska, Texas, Vermont or Cali service center. What is the correct service center for someone moving shortly to Illinois? ( I move there in February....I've been living in Belgium the last three years.)

2) If USPS can confirm to me that they delivered my application packet on Nov 28, 2007, should I expect to have received by now my first notification that USCIS has my file? I've seen nothing yet from them and the check has not posted yet either....just wondering if this is normal or behind schedule.

Make sure you get your answers first before mailing anything. Another person on VJ sent theirs to Caly and then received a notice that it was the wrong center. I believed when he/she called they were told to do it all over again. I am not sure what their screen name was if you search you may find it. Best Wishes

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

For the real person to get a hold of on the 1-800 line you may want to go through something like this: 1 for English then 1 for case then I think 6 for the change of address and other matters. I called about not receiving my GC (after 6 months) and got a hold of a nice who could not really help me but looked up stuff for me.

Best of luck to you.

Where in IL are you moving to?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The way I always got someone was to not push any options and just wait on the line as if I was waiting for someone who speaks Spanish, then when they answer in Spanish just say "oops!" and they'll go on with your call in English. It was the fastest way I could ever get someone on the line.

Filed: Timeline

There are no live persons at USCIS. Our homeland is now protected by drones otherwise known as civil service morons who, rather than live, just exist and need to know nothing, help nobody, have no value to add, or have to do anything at all to earn a comfortable living, and if they do not go postal they eventually wear out and die to be replaced by other drones. Each generation of drone gets more and more marginal by feeding off of the lack of success of the previous generation.

Kidding. When you get the menu, either use the "i got a typo error" or the "i have a RFE" option and you will be connected to one of the drones directly. Wear tinfoil over your head or something as protection because they will suck the life right out of your brain and toy with your very will to live.

Regards,

David and Nitadyah

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Good day everyone,

For the last couple of weeks I have been calling USCIS helpline at 1 800 375 5283 to ask a question regarding my fiancee's K1 visa. I always call during their posted operating hours ( 8am to 6pm ), but I can never through to anyone. The information on the automated messages does not answer my questions.

My question is : does anyone know how to navigate through the helpline to guarantee to get through to a live person? What is the number succession one should push once they are at the main menu of the helpline? I have gotten through to people in the past, but now once I get to place where there previously was an option to talk to someone, the recorded voice just says to call back during normal operating hours (but I'm calliing during normal operating hours).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Look at this old thread (esp. the last post), believe it or not a few people I know tried that number combo trick and it did work although it was awhile ago. That's why I saved the link to it. Hope it still does work, I'd give it a try if I were you. Needless to say even if you get to talk to someone it's going to be someone who is totally clueless who will not know the CORRECT answer to your questions.... :whistle:

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
What was the number she called? I'd like to get this info too but I just dont know who to call! :(

The "RFE trick"... 1-800-375-5283 Then hit 1,2,2,4,2,1 Then enter receipt number, then 1 a couple more times... If you call the USCIS number and answer honestly, you will get a customer service rep with no clue.

That trick will get you on the phone with someone who works AT the CSC, not just USCIS. It came from this thread. I called it a couple weeks ago and every time I called they were very helpful/knowledgeable.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-10-28

RFE Reply(s) :2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays :P)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28 (Vancouver)

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry :2008-02-20

Marriage :2008-02-26

Wedding Ceremony: 2008-05-03

Adjustment of Status 4105.gif

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2008-03-09

NOA: 2008-03-15

RFE(s) : 2008-03-29

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Touched: 04/01 - 04/02 - 04/16 - 04/17 - 04/18 - 04/21 - 05/06 - 05/07 - 05/08

Transferred to CSC: 2008-04-30

APPROVED!! : 2008-06-18

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method :Mail

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Approved: 2008-05-12

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Approved: 2008-05-12

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Panama
Timeline
Good day everyone,

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Here is the magic trick to your question: Call the USCIS tele.# And choose the 1 for english or 2 for spanish. the in this sequence push these options. 2-2-6-2-4 Use these options everytime you are prompted. :thumbs:

There are no live persons at USCIS. Our homeland is now protected by drones otherwise known as civil service morons who, rather than live, just exist and need to know nothing, help nobody, have no value to add, or have to do anything at all to earn a comfortable living, and if they do not go postal they eventually wear out and die to be replaced by other drones. Each generation of drone gets more and more marginal by feeding off of the lack of success of the previous generation.

Kidding. When you get the menu, either use the "i got a typo error" or the "i have a RFE" option and you will be connected to one of the drones directly. Wear tinfoil over your head or something as protection because they will suck the life right out of your brain and toy with your very will to live.

Regards,

David and Nitadyah

OMG I FELL OFF THE CHAIR CALL 911 this is the post of the year....did you do this after we spoke last night lmao omg i need stitches in me side, from laughing.......

When something goes wrong remember this saying "WHEN MAN PLANS, GOD LAUGHS"

www.orlando4obama.com

I-130 JOURNEY BEGINSSent August 28, 2007 to TSC for receipting in CSCReceived NOA1 from VSC December 21, 2007

Notes - earned USCIS skymiles for sure - postmarked from Chicago Lockbox

online finally 2/24/08

touchy feely 2/25/08

touched 2/27/2008 - great RFE requested - just wonderful news to see in your inbox early in the am

3/13 - RFE letter FINALLY received - and document that we sent NOW resent back to VSC grrrrowling

3/19 case resumed processing

3/20 touched

3./21 touched

3/23 Easter bunny touched again

4/01 - APPROVED I-130

4/02 - touched

4/07 - received hard copy approval

NVC JOURNEY BEGINS

4/07 NV Case number assigned

4/08 AOS, DS and all fees paid online

6/09 tax transcript for 2007 just became available -whoot

6/20 NVC receives everything nothing more to give them now just close eyes and pray

6/23 NVC enters into system

6/26 NVC - RFE uggh - wants all three years of Federal tax return listed and they lost originals or so they say - DING DING ROUND TWO

7/25 NVC Case completed whooottttttttt

8/7 Case forward to US EMBASSY LONDON OH YEAHHHHHHHH -

Embassy - case out for delivery to embassy via DHL sneaky us lol

08/10Received

08/19 Medical Exam completed - healthy oh yeah!!!!!!!!

9/26 @8am -Interview - approved VISA IN HAND OMG WHOOT!!! HELLO AMERICA MY LUV

POE- Atlanta then MCO - October 15th with the cat "GIT" on board lol - POE SUPER SWEET

Husband home finally - god what a journey....but after 400+ days we made it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.