wait4ever

Vietnamese Passport Renewal

19 posts in this topic

My wife and I just went to the Vietnam Embassy to renew her expired VN passport. She had to pay $110. The passport will be valid for 10 years. They said it will be ready in 3 weeks.

THREAD NECRO! :bonk:

... I mean...

You realize you're responding to a thread where the last post was a year and a half ago, right? I think it's safe to assume that the OP has worked out his problem by now. :whistle:

Jim, I think there is merit to this necro post. The poster was not responding to help the OP, but rather adding valuable info for others who may search for and read this post. The data regarding the substantial increase in cost for the passport renewal is good knowledge to share, IMO.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If that's the case Todd, adding valuable information, I want to share my experience with you all regarding renew a vietnamese passport... in Vietnam.

Prereq: Your VN passport will be expired within the next 6 months (Kim had 3 months left), you are in Vietnam and in Saigon. If you're not, your local Province Office can now handle it. Or you can mail in the passport and application together. Or if you don't want to be bother, some travel agency inside VN can do the whole thing for $350,000VND. Note: you still need to supply them with everything (photos/local police sign-off/family book etc.)

Here is our experience:

First: Go to the office in Nguyen Du Street or one on Nguyen Trai, either one is fine, buy an Application for Passport package for $10,000VND (or I think it was $7,000VND).

Fill it out and have your Local Police Officer (Cong An Khu Vuc) signed off and stamp it with local police seal (Cong An Phuong dong dau). Make sure you bring your family book (So Ho Khau), which note the reason why you are no longer in VN (immigrate to America)

Two Passport Photos (cost us $10,000VND for 4 prints)

Bring along the to-be-expired passport to The Immigration/Visa Control Office (Phong Quan Ly Xuat Nhap Canh) on Nguyen Trai Street, take a number and wait for them to call you up to the window.

This is where you present your "Application", your "To-be-Expired" Vietnamese passport and the two passport photos.

Wait again!

They then call you to the next window, this is where you pay the FEE for the NEW Vietnamese Passport application, costs:

$200,000 VND

Reciept issued, included date for pickup. 5 Days is all it takes!

We come back to pick up on the date they scheduled, 5 mins later Kim now got her brand new VN Passport which is good for 10 yrs.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

• 1 year later...

My passport will expired soon so I have sent my passport application to the Vietnamese Embassy in Washington DC. When I mail the envelope, I used the Priority mail with tracking number. However, there was nobody to accept the package when the post office was there. And the post office left the notice in the Embassy. I would like to know if the Embassy will pick up the package at the Post Office?

Anybody that was in similar situation like me please help.

Thanks so much

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

*Moved from Asia: East & Pacific forum to Vietnam forum*

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.