Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 're-entry permit'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Family & Marriage Based US Visa Immigration Discussion
    • K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures
    • IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Process & Procedures
    • Direct Consular Filing (DCF) General Discussion
    • Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America
    • Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America
    • What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration
  • Non-Family Based US Visa Discussion
    • Tourist Visas
    • Work Visas
    • Student & Exchange Visitor Visas
    • Diversity Lottery Visas
    • Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
  • Consulate & USCIS Service Center Discussion
    • National Visa Center (Dept of State)
    • US Embassy and Consulate Discussion
    • Waivers (I-601 and I-212) and Administrative Processes (221g)
    • USCIS Service Centers
  • US Visa Holder and Permanent Resident Immigration Discussion
    • Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from K1 and K3 Family Based Visas
    • Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas
    • Working & Traveling During US Immigration
    • Tax & Finances During US Immigration
    • Removing Conditions on Residency General Discussion
    • US Citizenship General Discussion
    • Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits
    • Military Immigration-Related Discussion
    • General Immigration-Related Discussion
  • General Discussion Area
    • Off Topic
    • Games While You Wait
    • Regional Discussion
    • Moving to the US and Your New Life In America
    • Finding Work in America
    • Emigrating Outside the US
    • Current Events and Hot Social Topics
    • Introducing our Members
    • General Polls
    • US Immigration News and Discussion
    • Site-Related Discussion - Updates, Ideas, etc.
  • Moderator and Organizer Forums (Hidden)


  • VisaJourney Endorsed Partners

Found 10 results

  1. Hi all. I have 2 pending re-entry permits to collect at my local embassy (mine and my child's). I emailed the embassy after Christmas last year asking if they have any documents for me, but the answer is no. (i thought 1 month after Nov 27 is enough for them to be delivered to my embassy, apparently not so). 1. So how long does it usually take for the re-entry permit to be available for me to pick up? Just a bit worried that it will just go missing if I made the assumption that local embassy will call me for the collection (and then they never did). 2. Whats the usual procedure for the collection? The statuses when I check both cases online: Reentry Permit Was Produced On December 11, 2017, we produced your Reentry Permit for your Form I-131, Application For USCIS Travel Document, Receipt Number LINXXXXXXXXX. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address. Document Was Mailed To Me On November 27, 2017, we mailed your document for Receipt Number LINXXXXXXXX, directly to the address you gave us. If you do not receive your document by December 27, 2017, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request the document be sent to you. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.
  2. Just to share my experience. I applied for re-entry permit back in September (Sept 15th to be exact, of the date the applications got received). Applied for both mine and my child's. We each got I-797C dated a couple of days later (my child has Notice Date 1 day earlier that mine though). Then nothing happened - until my INFOPASS appointment nearly 1 month later (Oct 12) where the officer updated me that i have pending biometric appointment - that is on 20th Oct. So I went to the state's ASC right after the INFOPASS appointment, (just walked in) with just the info, the worker at ASC found my appointment details, and printed our appointment letter, did our biometric and got the letter stamped and signed by the ASC worker. However, we have never received the original ASC appointment letter through mail . I cannot imagine had i not had the INFOPASS appointment, i would have missed the biometric appointment. (unless they did not mail it because i had done the biometrics). When i checked my own case this week, my re-entry permit was produced and details will be mailed to the address (so my re-entry permit clock had started a couple of weeks ago). My child's case is still stuck at Sept 15th status (calling Tier 2 USCIS support number only revealed that my child had done the biometrics on 12th Oct). That is about it. Kinda odd that i thought for Re-entry permit, it will usually take up to 3 months, and in 2 weeks it will be 3 months for my child's application. Not that I am complaining, i just found it odd. I just hope my child's case would be processed without any issue.
  3. Hello, I hope you will be able to advise with your comments and answers to my questions below: I became permanent resident more than 1 year and less than 2 years ago, and have 1+ year(s) of uninterrupted physical presence in the US. I may have job opportunity with US Company that has a contract with US Government overseas and I would like to accept it. However my goal is to pursue US Citizenship/Naturalization and thought to ask some clarification questions. 1. N-470 will/may approve me to be outside of the US for up to two years, right? Can it be approved for absence of more than 2 years? 2. Some research pointed me I need to apply for re-entry permit before leaving US (or within one year of absence from the US). I have no idea how does re-permit and N470 relate? Can you please shed some light about this requirement? (I would preferably be outside of the US for more than 2 years) If answer is no, can I apply for re-entry permit extension while outside of the US? 3. Most importantly: Since US company is under the US Government contract I understand I may be exempt from both: the residence AND physical presence requirement. I did not meet 30 months of physical presence yet. Do you happen to know any details what forms (if any) are needed for application for physical presence waiver since I may be working with a contract under US Government? 4. I understand I need to be physically present in the US for at least 3 months before I can apply for naturalization. Is there a way to apply for naturalization while I (and my wife + kids) are outside of the US? 5. I would highly appreciate if you share any other important steps that I am missing to be able to be away from the US and still pursue the naturalization objective. Thank you all for your comments
  4. Hi Board, My mother will be coming back to USA after little less than 2 years away from USA (She took a 2 years re-entry permit before departure).She was living with me before departure and she will live with me also after she comes back. By this time I have changed my address while she was away. Will she need to change her address (AR11 with USCIS) before she comes back to USA? Thanks a lot for your help on this.
  5. I received my re-entry permit today. I will be abroad for another year. My document expires in 2019. I was curious what people's experiences were returning to the United States using a re-entry permit. I can't find anything about it other than that I "might" be interrogated or I "might" be denied re-entry. Does anyone have any actual stories, good, bad or indifferent?
  6. Hi all. I have a question regarding this - if i plan to naturalize using the 3 year rule, what do i need to do? Background info: 1. Wife is a natural born USC - left USA at the age of 2 and never stepped foot on US soil ever since then. 2. I got selected for DV lottery, activated the GC Nov of last year (2016). 3. My eldest child got included in the DV so he has a GC now. (DV3) 4. 2nd child (youngest) was not included and wife is petitioning for him now (I-130) 5. Currently out of the USA and plan to go back to USA this month (just me and my kid - wife still has to work in home country and taking care of the youngest) 6. Planning to get re-entry permit this month too (I-131) and return to my home country after the I-131 biometric. 7. Will make a move to the USA some time middle of next year after the petition is approved and visa in hand for the youngest. Now my questions: 1. Let's just say i arrive on US soil again maybe July next year (July 2018), how soon can i apply for naturalization? 2. Would having Re-entry permit affects my application? 3. Also once I naturalized using 3 year rule, would my offspring , regardless where he/she is born (obviously out of the USA), be considered as a USC at birth? (i know that the offspring of parents where both parents are USC, will always be a USC IF one of them has been in the USA prior to the birth - but i just want to know that IF, just IF, USCIS considers only my citizenship (via naturalization after being LPR for 3 years), would my child automatically be considered as a USC? Or do i need to spend 5 years as a USC on US soil before that takes place?) - SIDE INFO, prior to getting a GC, I spent 4 years in the USA on J1 visa years ago, completing my bachelors degree - not sure this period can be counted towards that 5 years being USC rule before my offspring can be considered USC at birth). Thoughts?
  7. Hi, I did my biometric on September 2016 in the US then left. I received the re-entry permit ( 2 years) on December 2016 while i was abroad. Question: Should I return to the US by September 2018 or December 2018 (validity of re-entry permit) ? (Advise please)
  8. Hi all. I have some questions here. Currently I am out of the USA - but will be in USA within 1 month. The expected duration of stay would be exactly 3 months. Within that 3 months, i would like to apply the following documents: 1. Green Card replacement I-90 for myself (my GC is MIA - tracking says it is delivered but no where to be seen - USCIS helpline said if it is said as Delivered, nothing else they can do) 2. Green card replacement I-90 for my toddler (no biometric - and no need to come in-person) [same case as mine] 3. Re-entry permit I-131 for myself 4. Re-entry permit I-131 for my toddler (no biometric - and no need to come in-person) Re-entry permits are to be delivered to the US embassy in Malaysia. My toddler and I both have a valid I 551 stamp on our passports (but will expire end of this year). Questions: 1. From my readings, i've come to understand that my toddler would not need to have his biometric taken. Can other verify this as well? a. therefore i would not need to pay for biometrics in both I-90 and I-131 right? b. i do not need to bring him to any of the interviews right? 2. Would 3 months be enough for me to reach to the point of the biometric to be taken? 3. If the answer for No 2 is NO, then what are my options? I am not sure if i can prolong my stay in the USA longer than 3 months as it is putting a lot of strain on me financially. (changing flight would cost a lot of money too). I plan to be back in the USA for good maybe middle of next year (a huge maybe there - hence i need to have the re-entry permit in place).
  9. I just realized, I made a mistake on sending the documents needed for I-131 for the Re-Entry Permit. Instead of sending in a copy I-797, I sent a copy of my I-797C instead! I already had my biometrics taken for the re-entry permit a week ago, so I'm not sure what to do.
  10. Hi all! I'd like to make sure my children don't need any re-entry permit or a returning resident visa while on my husband orders and won't lose their LPR status? I read in the USCIS manuals that step-children are considered children for visa purpose, but not for naturalization. "One definition of child applies to approval of visa petitions, issuance of visas, and similar issues. [2] The other definition of child applies to citizenship and naturalization. [3] I was trying to find detailed explanation of what USCIS means by 'similar issues' and if they mention step-children who reside overseas on official orders. And they mention everywhere 'child'. Does it apply to step children as well? "Spouse or Child of a Member of the U.S. Armed Forces or Civilian Employee of the U.S. Government Stationed Abroad - If you are the spouse or child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or of a civilian employee of the U.S. government stationed abroad on official orders, you may use your Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, to enter the United States even if it has expired. Therefore, you would not need a Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa......" As I got naturalized I learned that it counts as my child resides overseas even being on orders and can't derive citizenship from me until we are back in the states. I wanted to make sure that we won't run into trouble because we will be stationed overseas for over a year. Has anyone had the same experience? Thanks!