Jump to content

Brother Hesekiel

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Brother Hesekiel last won the day on December 3 2011

Brother Hesekiel had the most liked content!

About Brother Hesekiel

  • Rank
    No B.S. Member
  • Birthday 11/30/1957
  • Member # 68637

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • City
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status

Recent Profile Visitors

20,413 profile views
  1. From resident to tourist?

    Citizens from certain countries have a hard time getting a B2. The reason for this is simple: the consular officer isn't sure that the person won't want to overstay. A way around this is to apply for a Green Card, then surrender said card via I-407 to the consulate, and, AT THE SAME TIME, apply for a B2. Clearly, a person who has the right to permanently live in the United States is no danger of overstaying. If such a person tells the consular officer that she prefers living in Colombia, but would like to visit her family for a few months per year, there's no reason not to issue her the B2.
  2. Green Card holders are taxed the same way as US citizen. NO difference at all.
  3. 1) Nobody has called me a US citizen, ever. Most people call me by my name, but others have called me . . . um not so nice names. But you "US citizen" you was never among them. And the first thing I did after they tattooed by forehead with US CITIZEN is have it removed so that I can't be identified as one. 2) I doubt that as a retiree you'll be making enough money to have to file as much as an EZ1040.
  4. I read all of the posts, and then I try to put myself in the shoes of the O.P. First and foremost, I would not let my cat endure what the O.P. described. If my husband were to torture my cat, I'd intervene immediately, without hesitation. If he then lies his hands on me, I'd immediately call the cops and press charges against him. THEN I'd have a viable case for VAWA, not earlier. I also have a problem with the "my parents paid for everything." Why? Why would I want to marry a guy who pulls such a stunt on me and my parents? I don't want to give advice to the O.P. But if it were me, I'd grab my cat and go home. End of story.
  5. First, not as a lawyer, but as a man to another man, I suggest you don't badmouth your ex-wife. That's not gentleman-like and won't earn you any points for anything from anyone. Sometimes marriages just don't work out, plain and simple. Now to your post. The attorney you consulted is trying to make money off you. It's how he pays his bills. Truth is, the fact that your ex-wife contacted the USCIS is pretty irrelevant, if you can show that your marriage was bona fide. What documents you need for this (the three pillars of RoC) is not part of this advice here an now. You should be able to pull this off yourself without the help of an attorney. We can help you here, free of charge.
  6. I'm a bit shocked about the inadequate advice given to you. There's only one way forward, and I'll outline it for you. Understand that there are only 2 ways to remove conditions: 1) JOINTLY, when happily married, living under one roof 2) SINGULARLY, when divorced. Based on your post, you do not fit into either of the two categories, and unlike you live in a state where you can divorced as quickly as Elvis can marry you in a Las Vegas chapel, you won't be able to do this for some time. So without me having to type like there's no tomorrow, here's how you'll have to proceed: 1) File for divorce tomorrow morning. Have your husband served. 2) File the I-751 alone 7 to 9 days before your Green Card expires. Do it via certified mail and return receipt. Do NOT file later than that. Do NOT let your residency expire. A couple of weeks afterward, you'll receive your extension letter in the mail. 3) About a month after you submitted your application, an I.O. will go through your application and notice that you did not enclose a divorce decree, resulting in an RFE for this. Usually, you'll get about 90 days to respond. 4) If your divorce has not been finalized by then, you'll get a one-on-one date with an immigration judge. Usually, that also takes a month to three months. That's when you'll need the help of an immigration attorney. It will cost you about $1K (Sorry). At that appointment, your attorney will ask the judge to suspend proceedings 'til your divorce is final. In almost ALL circumstances the judge will sign off on this. 5) Once your divorce is final, you'll be forwarding the divorce decree to the USCIS, after which they can adjudicate your I-751. Shortly after you should receive your unrestricted, 10-year Green Card.
  7. bigbrother1021

    The document may have expired, but not her status as a lawful permanent resident. There are many Green Card holders who do not renew their Green Cards 'til they absolutely need to. They absolutely need to when either (1) wanting to travel internationally or (2) having to go to the lions' den (the USCIS office). For all other purposes, work and I-9 form included, no Green Card is needed if the applicant has a valid driver's license and an unrestricted SS card. Have your mom file form I-90, accompanied by a check for $540. Put a 50-cent stamp on the envelope. No lawyer needed.
  8. What will be my status?

    Oh boy . . . A travel document doesn't mean you'll be "admitted" again to enter the United States when you return. It does happen, and most such cases lately concern DACA patients, but generally speaking, in order to be admitted again, you'll have to return with a valid visa. I doubt very much that you have such a visa or will have such a visa. Then again, since you can't adjust from a CD/1 anyway, there's not much to lose. The worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to wait for your CR-1/IR-1 visa, which can take about a year. Well, not true. The worst thing that can happen is that you have overstayed for over 180 days by the time you leave the United States, and will trigger a 3 (or 10-year) bar when leaving.
  9. Then you do not even need a travel document. Nor would you have a problem. Potential problems arise at day 365.
  10. I'm 60 years old now, and I still appreciate the opportunity to learn something, so maybe you can help me out. Name ONE, just one, any one reason, why you would NOT want to become a US citizen. I'll tell you one reason: You are worth $500,000,000, make about $5,000,000 per year without lifting a finger, and don't want to live in the United States of America anymore. You live on your private island in the BVI, like that Virgin dude Branson. Or your net worth is $350,000,000, like Tina Turner's, and you live with your husband in the most expensive part of Switzerland. And, again, you don't mind never setting foot on US soil again. To avoid double taxation in such a case, you should not become a US citizen. Short of that, there is NO reason whatsover I can think of. You will die as a British citizen, no matter what you do, even if you were to kill off the entire Royal family.
  11. The travel permit only prevents you from AUTOMATICALLY losing your residency and thus your Green Card when staying abroad for over 1 year. When you return, with or without travel permit, even after just a few months absense, you'll have to show that you did not establish residency abroad and thus voluntarily abandoned your US residency. I don't see any problems by working for Apple in Ireland, but if you stay out of the US for 366 days or longer, the 2 year + 1 day rule will kick in. That means they count one year minus one day of residency. To avoid that, you should spend your vacation with your wife in your country of residency, which you should do anyway.
  12. Great question. A really great one, which is a rare occurrence. It's great because I don't know the answer to it, which is also a rare occurrence. Prima facie the conviction would point to a crime of moral turpitude. Upon closer inspection, however, my educated guess is that most I.O.s would not feel that your hubby shouldn't become a US citizen because of it. But there's no guarantee that the I.O. adjudicating your husband's N-400 doesn't have a bad day and sees this differently. Too bad it's a "fresh" incident. He'll have to disclose it, wear a clean shirt, and explain that it was an honest mistake on his part. Most likely he'll be fine.
  13. Sweet baby Jesus! You're not the first human being who found out that the USCIS forms are made by retards for retards. People with a brain that works well, like yours, can only shake their head in disbelief. The requirement is within the past 5 years or since you became a resident. Clearly, if you lived on the North Pole next to Santa Claus, you don't have to list all the trips you made on December 24th to deliver presents to the American children. I know they didn't state that, but it's a great preparation for the questions of the N-400 which are even more retarded! http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/hey_wait_a_minute/2011/02/the_problem_with_question_36.html Answer those questions with 0. Do NOT alter the form from 5 to 3 years!
  14. Interviewed Today

    After reading your post, I started to experience a bit of brain bleeding. Then I realized that it's April 1st, so either you tried to punk us or the I.O. tried to punk you. Or . . . it was a drunken sailor that just dressed up as an Immigration Officer! A decision can NEVER been made after the interview. As in at no time. Never. That's because every N-400 has to be reviewed by a supervising I.O. to make sure that nobody can buy or blackmail their way into US citizenship. The brain bleeding started when I read the CR-1 comment. It's the class of admission, and you were admitted to the United States of America as a CR-1, hence your Green Card has CR-1 listed on it. That can be changed as easily as your time of birth: not.
  15. Name Change for Wife on CR-1 Visa

    Purely from a financial point of view, that was a mistake. You'll have to submit an I-90, complete with a check for $540, to the USCIS, resulting in a new Green Card. Or, if you don't drown in money, you wait with this 'til the Removal of Condition stage.