• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About CatherineA

  • Rank
    Platinum Member
  • Birthday
  • Member # 197025

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • City
  • State

Immigration Info

  • Immigration Status
    Adjustment of Status (pending)
  • Place benefits filed at
    National Benefits Center
  • Country
    Costa Rica

Immigration Timeline

Recent Profile Visitors

4,586 profile views
  1. Because you can't apply for a K-3 (submitting an I-129f) without also submitting an I-130. I-130 is the petition for CR-1. Your I-130 got to NVC first, as most of them do, so they processed it as a CR-1.
  2. You can apply for it, but from what I understand, it really hasn't been issued in years. The story (I believe) is that they issued them at a time when the IR/CR visas were talking a really very long time (like 18+ months) and this was a way to immigrate and wait in the US. Now, your I-130 (petition for the spouse visa) will beat the I-129f (petition for K3) to the National Visa Center, and so they close the I-129f.
  3. How did you move to the US? That could be a major factor, depending.
  4. Hrm, interesting on the timing. Maybe that's what they meant....but I still don't think that that would have been grounds for denial. K1 is so unique in the way it works (non-immigrant visa without work authorization that ends in immigration, by design) that it throws a lot standard processes off. I'll dig around a bit but maybe it's possible to try again. Was it the person who told you this or some sort of official denail? Either way, your EAD should be here soon and it's all a moot point. EAD *definitely* qualifies for a SSN. Explain "government assisted insurance"? He purchased through and has his fees reduced based on income? You can't receive "means tested benefits" but I don't think that that would qualify. That generally means food stamps and subsidized housing etc. The fee scale based on income is sort of like tax brackets-- the less you make, the lower your tax rate. Is he on Medicaid (government healthcare for the poor)? I'm not sure how Medicaid works and am pretty sure that you'd be excluded from that. But, if he has a plan through, his getting married is a "qualifying life event" so he can change from insuring just himself to insuring "the household', of which you are a member. Plus, it' is Open Season right now, so anyone can make changes right now, until January 31. Again, because of your lack of SSN, this may be something you need to take care of in person. That stinks, I know (we had to file taxes in person last year for the same reason) but it's how it is. I would hurry up and get on finding a family plan now, though. I understand your frustrations with our healthcare/insurance system. A good half or more of the people in this country feel the same way.
  5. At what point in the process did you apply for the SSN? You could have applied any time after arrival up until 14 days before the visa expired. If you didn't (we didn't), then you need to wait for EAD/AP. Could that be what they mean? But you CAN get health insurance without an SSN. My husband was added to my family plan within a week, without an SSN. I think we gave them his A-number? If your husband has insurance through his employer and you're eligible to be added, have him talk to the benefits managers there. If you're trying to buy through the exchange, your Notice of Action for AOS *should* be sufficient but the K1/AOS process is really unique and it is possible they missed it. But, try. You may need to see someone in person, this might not be possible online. If for whatever reason you're left out, your EAD DOES make you eligible and you'll get that soon. Or you can go the private route which does not need an SSN or any immigration information at all. If you leave now, you completely abandon the process, no refunds, nothing and if you want to return to live, you'll need a spouse visa. Same if you leave after getting your green card (which takes about 6 months, not "years"). If you leave the US as a green card holder for more than 6 months, you've abandoned your green card and will need a visa to return. Not sure if/how this would effect your ability to use ESTA but I'd look into that too. Citizenship (which does take years) is what gives you the ability to come and go as you please and stay away for as long as you like. I understand that each case is unique, but it seems pretty short-sighted to me to change your mind on what country you're going to live in over a few weeks of being uninsured (after how many weeks already?)
  6. Sorry for late reply, hope it's in time to help. He should have gotten a DS-3025 but apparently the doctor in CR doesn't do this. The original DS-3025 is in the sealed envelope your husband turned in at the border. USCIS is supposed to link up your AOS file to that envelope. It appears that they fail to do this a good portion of the time. Either way, if you read the instructions for the I-693, you'll see that K1s are exempted from it as long as you apply for AOS within 12 months of the medical and the DS-3025 was properly filled out and wound up in that sealed envelope. So don't do the I-693. If you get an RFE for it (like we did), you can pay a civil surgeon to do it for you (and if you don't have any vaccination records at all, he'll need to get hose again first), or contact your congressman's office and have them clear it up. This happens to lots of people and unfortunately seems to happen to a lot of CR people because that doctor doesn't give us copies of DS-3025 so we don't even have the option to "only" pay the civil surgeon to transcribe the vaccination supplement (which is NOT necessary but a lot of people do because they don't know it's not necessary and/or they get an RFE and don't want to risk it).