Weldonboy

i485 and Vawa

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi everyone, please advise me as this forum has been more than useful.

My story goes thus; i am Nigerian and I was hooked up with my USC wife through a friend while i was in London on vacation as i am a relatively shy guy. i started chatting with my USC wife until i eventually surfaced in the US on the 9th of july 2015. We met and actually fell helplessly in love with each other. We got married in  September of same year, however and unfortunately, my USC wife and my so called friend who introduced her to me were caught having sex at the parking lot of the club house we had our reception. i felt so unfortunate that i came all the way to be betrayed by two of those i trusted the most. i decided to let her go, but she came crying with her mum and two of her friends blaming her shameful act on the devil. she swore she was under the influence of alcohol and promised heaven and earth that such wont happen again. i decided to give her a second chance as i believe that to err is human but to forgive is divine. We got back together again and this time around, she decided to file immigration benefit for me. Right after she filed the benefits for me, she started getting really abusive, she would forcefully want to have sex with me but i had a very hard time being sexually attracted to her. long story short, she got pregnant but obviously not with me, as i never slept with her even though we tried, i just lost my sensuality towards her despite ceaseless consumption of libidinous pills. Worst still she had no remorse for her action as i found out about her pregnancy in a way that was disgraceful to my personality as my so called wife passed out and i had to rush her to the hospital, it was at the ER i got to find out about her pregnancy. i was dumbfounded and helpless, the doctor and nurses could tell i was disappointed at the news but couldnt just tell exactly why. i left the hospital in disappointment. Despite my USC wife;s awful act, she still came home from the hospital to unleash chaos in the house. She claimed i left her for death, and at such  such she started throwing all sort of what you can imagine at me. she even went extra mile of pouring some soups from the kitchen on me. i was just lucky the soup was not not at the time, it would have blemished my skin. Unlike any other  commonly shared story, she didnt withdraw her petition despite moving out of my house, rather , she was monitoring the progress of the petition and as soon as i got my EAD, she started threatening and extorting me. i was scared and couldnt resist her extortion. From when i obtained my EAD in april of 2016 till september of same year, she had had me forcefully give her up to about $15000. Worst still, when i485 interview was scheduled and i informed her , she asked for another $8000 or she wont go with  me to the interview. this got me mad so much that i was prepared for the worst and so i called the cops right to her face to report extortion and possible fraud, she immediately got to her kitchen, pulled a knife and ordered me to hangup or she would stab and kill herself and have me blamed for it. i immediately hung up with the 911 operator and despite their effort to call me back and find out if i was under duress, i denied it i said we got it sorted out. i was a correctional officer at the time, and was on my uniform while i was at place. she called my job and told them i got involved in a domestic violence with her with the hope that my job will just get me fired without investigating, however i was lucky to keep my job as i was not found guilty of any form of domestic violence. my job informed immigration of my case and immigration came to my house to inquire about what i got going on, but i just simply told them my marriage to her was simply not bona fide and that i got in it for immigration benefit. i was mentally stressed at the time and didnt give a damn what could happen afterwards. Though i showed the officers proofs of her extortion and threats in form of her messages to me, the officers were like i could still qualify for immigration benefit independently without her and further advised me not to give a dime of my money to her anymore and also encouraged me to concentrate on my job and not be scared that immigration would come for me. with all said, i was recommended to an immigration lawyer who refered me for a psychological evaluation and the report thus proof i was suffering from immense psychological derangement and PTSD which could explain inconsistency in my statement and most likely that i was suicidal and that's i was trying to have myself blamed for everything. In the light of all this, my lawyer filed VAWA for me.

Do you guys think i stand a chance??? your responses would really help

you can always get your id renewed as far as you have a pending immigration petition with uscis. it has happened to me and i went to dps office. They have to confirm your continuous eligibility to stay in the US with uscis and that usually takes 5 working days. afterwards, you will get a letter in your mail box to report at the dps office to get your id

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hopefully you have other proof of her abuse than just the emails/texts...and hopefully you can get your hands on the police report to see how your statement of marrying just for a green card was noted by them (if at all).  It is good you had the psychological evaluation.  The part about her cheating will really not make a difference in a VAWA case.

Please tell me you are not still living with her, and please tell me you are planning on filing for divorce from this woman.  She sounds like an absolute nightmare on so many levels.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Your lawyer definitely sounds like he knows what he's doing. I cannot give you more advice than the previous VJers who replied, but I do want to know if you are very very far from her and safe.

9 minutes ago, AL-MJD said:

Your lawyer definitely sounds like he knows what he's doing. I cannot give you more advice than the previous VJers who replied, but I do want to know if you are very very far from her and safe.

Thanks for your response. Well so far so good, i have had my divorce with her finalized. She didn't show up throughout the final ruling on the divorce process despite being served by sheriff department. I relocated already

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
1 minute ago, Weldonboy said:

Thanks for your response. Well so far so good, i have had my divorce with her finalized. She didn't show up throughout the final ruling on the divorce process despite being served by sheriff department. I relocated already

Great! I pray your life from now on will be easier. Never talk to her ever. My fiancé adopted his ex-wife's daughter under pressure which makes it difficult for us to stop contacting her. She was similarly abusive too and even chased him around with a working chainsaw. I hope you did not do the same with your ex-wife's child, at least, and you can truly move on.

You're not alone and everyone except her, is glad that you are safe now. Cheers and hugs! 

42 minutes ago, Going through said:

Hopefully you have other proof of her abuse than just the emails/texts...and hopefully you can get your hands on the police report to see how your statement of marrying just for a green card was noted by them (if at all).  It is good you had the psychological evaluation.  The part about her cheating will really not make a difference in a VAWA case.

Please tell me you are not still living with her, and please tell me you are planning on filing for divorce from this woman.  She sounds like an absolute nightmare on so many levels.

Thanks for your response. Well so far so good, i have had my divorce with her finalized. She didn't show up throughout the final ruling on the divorce process despite being served by sheriff department. More so, i was able to lay hands on affidavits from neighbors who testified to her abuse. Police report was helpful as they captioned every threat she was saying while i was on the phone with the 911 operator. i have long relocated, though shes obviously still trying to contact me, however i am not being gullible to disclose my where about to her. My vawa PD is 03/17.. you guys should please pray for me as i have also had to contact my congressman to look into my case as well

3 minutes ago, AL-MJD said:

Great! I pray your life from now on will be easier. Never talk to her ever. My fiancé adopted his ex-wife's daughter under pressure which makes it difficult for us to stop contacting her. She was similarly abusive too and even chased him around with a working chainsaw. I hope you did not do the same with your ex-wife's child, at least, and you can truly move on.

You're not alone and everyone except her, is glad that you are safe now. Cheers and hugs! 

Thanks and i really do appreciate you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Weldonboy said:

i have long relocated, though shes obviously still trying to contact me, however i am not being gullible to disclose my where about to her.

Good.  Stay strong with that.  If she's continuing to contact you via phone, and her contact is unwelcome by you, I'd see about getting your number changed/blocking her on facebook/whatever you have to do so you are not subject to her abuse and manipulation any longer.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

32 minutes ago, Going through said:

Good.  Stay strong with that.  If she's continuing to contact you via phone, and her contact is unwelcome by you, I'd see about getting your number changed/blocking her on facebook/whatever you have to do so you are not subject to her abuse and manipulation any longer.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Sorry you had to go through this nightmare. Just reading it made my blood run cold. I hope you eventually get your green card to at least put a smile again on your face. Best wishes!

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

12 minutes ago, Starkilla09 said:

Sorry you had to go through this nightmare. Just reading it made my blood run cold. I hope you eventually get your green card to at least put a smile again on your face. Best wishes!

There are lots of wolves, sharks and snakes out there. Devils posing in human skin..... I really hope and pray i get out of this

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.