JC&BS

Ghanaian marriage license

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

US citizens married to Ghanaians.... and vice versa. What is the process for this?

What docs are needed from both parties?

Go to court and sign and then return 21 days later if no one has objected to marriage before receiving marriage license?

Then get it notarized by Registar?

I'm confused.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Go to  AMA if u are in  Accra,u pay 50 Ghana cedis for the 21 days certificate, after 21 days u go back to AMA,take that 21 days cert to the Registrar General's office and pay the FEE 70 Ghana cedis,then u get registered and u will choose the date u get married,but u do all this with your partner.You can't do it alone.

I hope this helps.

Edited by uufarouk

Timeline

My husband an was planning to get married in march so registered an had to wait 21 days but since I was there I had to send a letter explain that I was allowing him to register for me with a copy of my passport

Timeline
10 hours ago, Prettyface35 said:

My husband an was planning to get married in march so registered an had to wait 21 days but since I was there I had to send a letter explain that I was allowing him to register for me with a copy of my passport

Did you have to provide a "certificate of singleness"? (Assuming this is your first marriage)

Timeline

It doesn't work like that, u and ur husband both need to be present and sign,otherwisw the embassy will deny ur visa.and the Registrar will not allow it

Timeline
11 minutes ago, uufarouk said:

It doesn't work like that, u and ur husband both need to be present and sign,otherwisw the embassy will deny ur visa.and the Registrar will not allow it

When applying for the marriage license (prior to receiving official license where both parties sign) can it be done by the one living in Ghana? 

I dont live in Ghana and can not take a 21 day vacation. I do understand I need to sign the actual license itself but I was hoping the application for the license can be done by the Ghanaian.

Timeline

if you can't  be there to register then your ghananian husband can do it for you. My husband registered for both of us in 01/03/17 the AMA told him he needed a letter from me since I was in the states at the time an a copy of my passport.. the marriage certificate yes you have to be there to sign but to register no you don't unless things have changed in the last year. We have been married for a year now

Timeline

one person can not sign a married certificate in Ghana. He can only make an appointment for you 2 to get married, and that is the 21 days everyone is talking about. you will need to be there in person and your husband and whoever you guys deem necessary to be your witness. they all must sign before your marriage is registered under the  law. except you mean different thing but if it is signing of marriage, then is a must that you should be there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.