JC&BS

I don`t like the lawyer

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

So, I am facing a dilemma and would like your input. I am planning to file for the CR1. Fiance`s family is footing the bill and we will repay after his arrival in US. They want me to go with the family lawyer but when I met up with the lawyer he wasn't very nice. He wouldn't answer basic questions such as 'After I give you the paperwork for you to organize, will you send the petition off or will I send it off?" He replies "Who will I send it off to?" I replied 'I don't know. Not sure." (Because I genuinely do not know who sends it off, I ask as a potential client) I ask again a few minutes later and he responds "Why do you need a lawyer?" I take a breath because I am irritated at this entire situation, I don't like lawyers and do not feel like I need one. I'm only here because the family is paying for him. I look at the aunt(who recommended him) and say "You were recommended to me." He then says "You don't have to follow through with any recommendation." I nod in agreement.

Out of fairness to him, it was a free 15 minute consultation when he normally charges $300 / hour but since I am now a 'friend of the family' he met up with me. He has not been hired as my attorney as of yet.

Not only did he not answer my questions but he was condescending. I do not like this man. But the fact is he has helped two family members with immigration.

I'm also positive that when I explain my thoughts to the family they aren't going to listen and be loyal to the lawyer particularly because they share nationality and he has helped two family members, the earliest being this past fall. 

What can this lawyer do for me? No idea since he didn't sell himself to me nor answer my questions.

Firstly, you said fiancé but you want to apply for CR1. You will get married before that, right? 

Secondly, are there complications to your case? If not, save the money and DIY. There have been numerous examples here on how a lawyer hindered the process instead of helping. Just read the threads and understand the process, post questions and let VJ members help you, and you should be ok.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Either find another lawyer you are comfortable working with, or don't use a lawyer at all if you don't feel you need one----many don't.  Answers to many of your questions (as well as advice on how to properly fill out and file the forms) can be found on these forums for free.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable with. I have seen too many visa's be messed up by lawyers to put much faith in them. That being said, he might just be good at his work but be an #######. Besides, you really don't need a lawyer for these visa's if everything is straightforward. Just follow the VJ guides and you will be just fine.

You can keep both happy and let him do all the paperwork but YOU send it out. That way you can triple check if you have all the paperwork you need and everything is filled out correctly.

Edited by Little_Vixen

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ms_bobdog said:

Firstly, you said fiancé but you want to apply for CR1. You will get married before that, right? 

Secondly, are there complications to your case? If not, save the money and DIY. There have been numerous examples here on how a lawyer hindered the process instead of helping. Just read the threads and understand the process, post questions and let VJ members help you, and you should be ok.

Yes, presently he is my fiance but will become my husband before I file.

As noted above, most lawyers are ####### - it’s just the nature of the work (and some personality lol). Once the lawyer agrees to take you as a client, they should fight for you and be seen to be doing so. If you’re not convinced, drop them - you’re paying them after all. Check out other users of their service - what do they say?

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove alternate spelling of profanity.

We also used a lawyer who was a family friend of my spouse's family and specializes in immigration. She has been absolutely amazing and I am 100% confident in her. I think like anything in life, if you are unhappy with the service go elsewhere. 

Even though the family is loaning you the money you are ultimately paying for this service and the $300 per hour will add up quickly, especially if the lawyer is hard to communicate with. Maybe to appease the family do the paperwork yourself and pay to just have him check it over?

12/26/17 - NOA1

06/27/18 - NOA2 (+183 days)

07/11/18 - Case sent to NVC (+14 days)

07/18/18 - NVC Received (+7 days)

08/10/18 - NVC Case Number (+23 days)

09/06/18 - All Docs Submitted (+27 days)

09/19/18 - Case Complete at NVC (+13 days)

10/18/18 -  Interview appointment letter received (+29 days)

11/20/18 - Interview Date (+33 days) - APPROVED!

11/26/18 - Visa Received 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.