14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi guys, So who on here is using a lawyer. I have a friend who filed the k-1 visa and didn't use a lawyer, everything turned out fine. And then I have other friends who filed the K-1 visa and are saying using a lawyer is the only way to go? 

Thoughts? 

I filed in September btw and have not used a lawyer at all. Hoping I get my NOA2 in the next month or so! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, amynelli said:

Hi guys, So who on here is using a lawyer. I have a friend who filed the k-1 visa and didn't use a lawyer, everything turned out fine. And then I have other friends who filed the K-1 visa and are saying using a lawyer is the only way to go? 

Thoughts? 

I filed in September btw and have not used a lawyer at all. Hoping I get my NOA2 in the next month or so! 

A little late to be asking now is it not....

YMMV

This site is majority a DIY site. So my guess is greater than 75% of users here did not use a lawyer.

A lawyer really isn’t needed if you have a straight forward case.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
18 minutes ago, tpmd said:

Our lawyer has been useless and a huge waste of money. If you do your research and have a straight forward case then there's really no need! 

Thats what I had the feeling of. I just have some friends here who say it cost them a million dollars and they should have had a lawyer but I just have a feeling they didnt research super well and were confused about the process. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
18 minutes ago, amynelli said:

Thats what I had the feeling of. I just have some friends here who say it cost them a million dollars and they should have had a lawyer but I just have a feeling they didnt research super well and were confused about the process. 

Yeah, totally not worth it. In fact, ours even gave us wrong information (the wrong filing fee) which caused a delay. We thought we would need him as we were both living abroad and hoped he'd make it easier.... nope.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

We have a lawyer and just received and RFE dated 2/14 but got it today... And I honestly have been communicating with his paralegal, through phone and email. I don't remember the last time he's replied to my email or i've been able to talk to him on the phone. And every time I call or email the paralegal seems like she just wants to end the conversation asap. I also regret getting the lawyer... 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
6 hours ago, amynelli said:

I believe the reason it cost them is not because they needed lawyers but they probably didn't really researched themselves, and had problematic cases.

i didn't even see one lawyer helping with anything so far...I saw lots of problems with lawyers though...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I just have to say my lawyer was reasonably priced, extremely available, no paralegals involved, super flexible with my payments, knowledgeable, understanding... I know it is totally possible to do this on your own and I can see why a lot of people have negative experiences using a lawyer but my experience was super positive. I checked out 3 different lawyers all on recs from friends and I went with the one I got the best vibe from. My gut was totally right. That being said, even with a good lawyer it doesn't replace the need for due diligence and work on your part as the filer. Its still your process and how bad do you want it? I still put in a lot of work but my lawyer definitely answered ALOT of my questions and caught quite a few things I would have missed. Maybe I'm the only VJer with a positive review for a lawyer??? I've dealt with other types of lawyers before and this was by far the best experience I've had... probably helps that I was really excited for this one and not dreading some kind of reprimand or punishment :innocent:

Now watch me get an RFE... lol

Edited by L and E

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Waste of money

i had one for 1st CR1   / got the 4 page RFE and he had me do all the work and collect documents and he all he did was copy and mail them

when we were denied ,  he said his work was done (different than when i was in  his office and he if denied ,  get in  touch with him immediately as that was when his real work started)

i did my own appeal and won 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
22 hours ago, amynelli said:

Thoughts? 

I used a lawyer simply because my Fiance had tried to come to visit me on a B2 and twice was rejected (he is from Kenya so understandable). I was scared he wouldn't get the K1. But after $2500 for the Initial submission AND he screwing up on the Letter of Intent of my Fiance and getting a RFE, I decided to do the AOS and ROC myself. I keep him updated just for Professional Reasons. 

If your situation is not too complicated maybe VJ'ers can help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I didn't have a lawyer. My petition was approved with ease, interview went well, now just waiting on the visa to be issued.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about lawyers slowing things down drastically.  You can do it yourself with the help here.  I used a service and I am happy I did.  That was only for my own comfort.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.