44 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello there,

My fiancé and I have recently submitted our petition in December 2017. We have received our NOA1 on December 19. Our file should not get processed before at least July or August, so we're patiently waiting as many of you out there. I work full time in the south of France and was wondering when would be a good time to quit my job? I first thought about waiting til we get our NOA2 but Im afraid not to have enough time between the prior notice, the fact that Ill need to sell all my furniture and move out of my apartment, getting papers ready for the embassy interview in Paris and planning the wedding.

When did you stop working to entirely focus on the rest?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Laëtitia.

Timeline

Thank you JFH for your reply. My situation is a bit different so I'll have to stop working before the approval otherwise Ill never have enough time for the 3 month apartment notice, selling my furniture, get the unemployment papers and interview done, wedding planning and embassy appointment stuff. Also I'd like to spend time with my family before moving out of the country at the end of the year, as my father just passed 3 weeks ago. I'll move back with my mom this summer for a while to support her. I can't just move out to Texas without spending time with her, she's been through a lot lately. Thank you again for your reply.

You have 6 months after the visa is approved also to immigrate so you have more time than you think. 

(To be specific, you generally have 6 months from the medical date.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you for the info NikLR,I didnt know that, but I'd rather get things done before so I can move as soon as possible to be with my love, once the visa is approved. I'll need to spend time with my family before leaving anyway as they won't be able to be at the wedding. The situation has been kinda hectic lately, so I need to be there for them.

3 minutes ago, Laë said:

Thank you for the info NikLR,I didnt know that, but I'd rather get things done before so I can move as soon as possible to be with my love, once the visa is approved. I'll need to spend time with my family before leaving anyway as they won't be able to be at the wedding. The situation has been kinda hectic lately, so I need to be there for them.

Of course we all want to move asap.  I quit before my interview and gave in my month notice for my apt etc.  I moved within a week of getting my visa.  

Im just giving you that cushion you may need.  Afterall you arent going to be able to do much of anything for about 4-6 months after filing for your AOS. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

We all go by "when visa is in hand" to be on safe side for being approved

not knowing your full situation  say like "Can you afford to quit early?"

or the one woman on here that was living in France but was originally from Algeria and was in AP for 7 months while they did a background check in Algeria as she did not know to get criminal investigation from there

My husband vistied all his family 2 months after the visa and stayed to sell his car, etc

you know your financial situation and all   so basically,  you need to decide

so sorry about loosing your father 

and not much you can do to plan the wedding till you are in Texas

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi Laetitia, 

The best advice i can give you is to be patient and confident.I'm about to become a US citizen, but i came here 12 years ago. I went through this dilemma back in 2006. Personally, while organizing my departure, also from the south of France, since the day i knew i was joining my wife in NJ, my job was not in my head anymore (at all). My level of motivation was extremely low. I was looking at my last day at work in France as a great day of liberation. On the other hand, one's level of finance is never high enough when you make such a drastic move in your life. Every dollar counts, specially like in your case you won't be able to work right away and generate a revenue. You'll be happy to have a little "matelas". But again, it's very personal, maybe your fiance is well off and  you can afford to leave your actual job a little earlier.

Anyways, i wish you luck in your new life in the US.

It's a personal decision. Since I arrived on an IR-1 visa I was an LPR imnediately and could leave whenever I wanted. Another advantage of the CR-1/IR-1 over the K-1. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable on a K-1, being "landlocked" for several months if I had aging or sick parents back home. But surely anyone who goes into this process knows that and takes that into consideration. 

I had lived in 5 different countries before I moved here (3 of them without my parents) so I am no stranger to packing up and leaving family thousands of miles away. I also have 4 siblings, 3 of whom live in the U.K. If I were an only child who'd never left my homeland before, I might feel differently about it. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 minutes ago, JFH said:

It's a personal decision. 

That's the important part.  I'm sure you'll be the best person to make the decision.

What if you quit early, but end up in AP for six months or a year after the interview? (Doubtful, but possible)

What if you have unexpected event and need extra funds?

Are you comfortable relying on your spouse to cover for all expenses - or do you prefer to have more savings and be independent?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

The safest time is: After you have visa in hand.  Quitting any time prior to that is definitely subject to a degree of risk unless you an agreement with your employer. Remember, you will have several months after visa issuance before it expires.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Laë said:

Very smart answer Chris Duffy... you obvisouly have not read my post entirely for showing such a lack of sensitivity.

I was serious.

You have the rest of your life to work.  Take time and make the most of it and get your affairs in order and move back home.

I think that is a great plan, spend time with family.  Time is a commodity that no one can buy.  You will look back at your life and remember the good times with family and friends, not the time you worked.

When I decided to do a K1 for my fiances, I told her to " Quit work, move out of your apartment, and spend precious time with your family and friend.   I told  her I would support her.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.