Durant200

Did my tax preparer goofed up ?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hello everybody ;) 

I went to H&R Block earlier to get our Tax done and get the refound. I have my conditional GC, I worked 3 months ( Sept-Nov 2017) last year and I had a big doubt about what our tax preparer did <_<  My wife and myself filled jointly but my question was about the Healthcare part :huh: If I remember the lady checked this '' US citizen abroad and non citizen'' and if I understand correctly this part is about citizen or non citizen abroad right ? Which is not my case for me because I haven't been abroad since I moved here :reading:And furthermore she checked all the months from January to December with that exemption thing :mellow:

I'm so lost , completely lost , what does that mean ? Please tell me that the lady was right all along and I'm just worried for nothing ? If she made us fill something wrong then what are the consequences ? 

Thanks for reading :help:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

did you provide the H&R Block person with your 1095 C showing you had health care insurance for the months you were here?

If so,  she did wrong

if you do not have this,  she must have assumed you just came to US

if you need to correct mistakes, H&R Block  needs to use 1040 X to correct the mistakes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Durant200 said:

I'm so lost , completely lost , what does that mean ? Please tell me that the lady was right all along and I'm just worried for nothing ? If she made us fill something wrong then what are the consequences ? 

She was trying to get you an exemption from having heath coverage and avoiding the penalty for not being covered. Immigration folks will not be examining the details of how you filed. They aren't tax auditors and probably know little about tax specifics themselves. As far as the IRS, if they decide to examine your return and find something wrong, they will let you know and tell you a dollar amount of your error, and ask you to pay. I'm not saying H&R was correct, but the likelihood of it ever being questioned is pretty slim.  Go back to H&R and discuss your exemption from health coverage in detail if you are worried about it. 

Timeline

So here is a little update , H&R Block sent us a text stating that IRS accepted our forms. 

Yes it had to be about health coverage , I didn't have the benefits of health insurance where I worked ( i had to work full time for a whole year ).

so my only question is , is there going to be any consequences in the future that can affect me due to that negligence ? I want to do things right and not get in trouble 😨 If you say they won't review all we submitted then it's all good I guess right ? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Durant200 said:

So here is a little update , H&R Block sent us a text stating that IRS accepted our forms. 

Yes it had to be about health coverage , I didn't have the benefits of health insurance where I worked ( i had to work full time for a whole year ).

so my only question is , is there going to be any consequences in the future that can affect me due to that negligence ? I want to do things right and not get in trouble 😨 If you say they won't review all we submitted then it's all good I guess right ? 

There is always a chance the IRS will review any tax return and ask you for more money if due. Usually that manpower is saved for big dollar filers. They aren't going to send you to tax jail over it.  Just because it was accepted on efile does not mean it was accurate.  It means all the proper boxes were filled out to let the computer accept it. It doesn't mean each box had accurate info.  If H&R made a mistake, they can prepare a corrected return for you and assess what your failure to be insured penalty cost would be. Or maybe figure out a different angle like it was unaffordable. You could have bought your own insurance if your employer didn't provide it. Seems like a re-do should be at no extra preparation fee to you,  but I am not familiar with H&R policies. 

Timeline

Right ^_^ see we didn't earn much either last year and I have worked 3 months only but I was more afraid of the fact that next year I have my ROC and they tell me that I didn't filled the tax properly and it could have a bad impact :unsure: 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Durant200 said:

but I was more afraid of the fact that next year I have my ROC and they tell me that I didn't filled the tax properly and it could have a bad impact :unsure: 

Do you think an immigration guy is expert on all the different tax forms and how to fill them out? Is it his job to find errors or is that the job of the IRS? Or do you think the immigration guy might be only interested that you filed jointly with your spouse, which shows you commingle your finances?  

12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Go back to H&R and discuss your exemption from health coverage in detail if you are worried about it.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, Durant200 said:

No worries.

If you get audited and they make an assessment, you'll just pay up, no trouble.

But IRS is SEVERELY understaffed, so I wouldn't worry at all

Btw, acceptance doesn't mean anything. Only that your e-filing went through.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Best to avoid HR Block and get a real CPA who is worth his/her weight in gold.

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Timeline

H&R Block is really expensive anyway so I wouldn't mind changing honestly 😯

It is hard to know if she made something wrong , I'm aware of that I didn't have health coverage because from January- September I wasn't able to work and then at work I didn't have the benefits , but still I don't know if I have that exemption :(

Who had a similar experience with te taxes ? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.