Terri/Ed

Visa approval but not in time to fly out

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

What happens if I get my visa approval at embassy but I don't get the actual visa in hand  to fly out on time .

I have a set cut off date to fly out for my now cancelled wedding ,  we are having dinner now but there could be a small chance I can still make it if my file is sent to Sydney soon .

can I still fly out on a esta if I don't get it in time? 

I know I only have one chance to fly out on k1-visa but if I don't actually have it in time will it become void if I fly out without using that visa ?

very confusing question I know but hoping someone can help 🙏

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well as always, it is strongly advised never make plans, spend money, buy plane tickets, ect.. until you have visa in hand just for this type of reason. 

If you leave, even with ESTA, (not sure how that works myself) wouldn't you have to have your passport still? Meaning they couldn't even give you the K-1 visa since you took the passport back.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

I don't get it, how are you going to fly on an Esta if the embassy will have your passport?
Is your interview for your K1? Are you going to travel on an Esta to make it on time for a rehearsal dinner or your actual wedding? 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Rule #1.  Do not plan anything before you have visa in hand.  It can be a week or more after approval before you get the passport back.

Doesn't the Embassy take your passport?  How can you fly anywhere without it?

Yes I forgot about embassy taking passport, that changes everything!

thankyou ! 

As for not planning anything before visa in hand I know I know haha 

we filed may 5th, didn't find this forum until after , immigration lawyer told us 5 months tops for approval !! 

So yep , huge and very expensive and upsetting lesson learnt !! 

Timeline
44 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Well as always, it is strongly advised never make plans, spend money, buy plane tickets, ect.. until you have visa in hand just for this type of reason. 

If you leave, even with ESTA, (not sure how that works myself) wouldn't you have to have your passport still? Meaning they couldn't even give you the K-1 visa since you took the passport back.

Yes you are correct ! 

Ive only just found out they keep visa so that changes everything! 

Just now, Terri/Ed said:

thankyou ! 

we filed may 5th, didn't find this forum until after , immigration lawyer told us 5 months tops for approval !! 

I hear you.  June 6 filer.  Original VJ timeline said approval by September 6.  I was planning POE in December and a wedding between Christmas and New Years.  Luckily, someone gave me rule #1.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

If you travel for a short trip BEFORE your interview is conducted, you will travel on your ESTA....

if you travel after your interview has happened, and the visa approved... the next time you see your passport will be with the K1 visa in it... and when you enter the US after that it will trigger the K1....

you could consider requesting a later interview date,  once you know when it is... travel on  VWP, enjoy the dinner, return for the interview and then finalise all your things and head off to trigger the K1... it will be months after entering on the K1 before you are able to leave the US and legally reenter... so don't rush things for the sake of  few weeks... 

This is what I'm going to do now.

Im booked to fly out on March 7th,  will go for dinner , have holiday with family who are flying out too,  stay for few weeks then hopefully by that time our case will have moved ahead to consulate , Ill request a later appointment and hopefully things work out for us ! 

I just need to take a breath and slow down .

I have all these what ifs that are just confusing me more !

Its such an emotional roller coaster , just can't wait to it's over ! 😀

Timeline
5 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I hear you.  June 6 filer.  Original VJ timeline said approval by September 6.  I was planning POE in December and a wedding between Christmas and New Years.  Luckily, someone gave me rule #1.

Lucky you !! 

I quit my job of 18 years in nov after we got our Noa2 on oct 6th all ready for the final easy stages that everyone was quoting for NVC stage !! boy was I wrong ! haha 

13 minutes ago, Terri/Ed said:

thankyou ! 

Argh another immigration lawyer messing things up for people, sorry you were given bad advice. 

5 minutes ago, Terri/Ed said:

This is what I'm going to do now.

Im booked to fly out on March 7th,  will go for dinner , have holiday with family who are flying out too,  stay for few weeks then hopefully by that time our case will have moved ahead to consulate , Ill request a later appointment and hopefully things work out for us ! 

I just need to take a breath and slow down .

I have all these what ifs that are just confusing me more !

Its such an emotional roller coaster , just can't wait to it's over ! 😀

Make sure you  have a return ticket, this is a condition of the esta. 

Also bring with you evidence of needing to return home as they may ask for this.

Remember that the validity of the visa will be dependent on the validity of the medical which is six months. Have you already done your medical? 

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

I don't get it, how are you going to fly on an Esta if the embassy will have your passport?
Is your interview for your K1? Are you going to travel on an Esta to make it on time for a rehearsal dinner or your actual wedding? 

I didn't realise embassy took passport so that takes that idea off table !  

I was just going to travel on esta for dinner and fly back for interview, but there will be a big chance that I could have an interview time before I fly out but that's just not going to work ! 

I'm just accepting the fact that's it's too late , go over for dinner, come back for interview and be done with it then fly out with k1-visa and get married at the courthouse ! 

Easy peasy !! Or maybe elvis in Vegas haha 

The whole process for us has been  a nightmare so I just have to laugh about it now and be thankful for what I have 🙏

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Yes I understand. We plan gently but then find that even that may not work... think bigger picture... you want to arrive here on the K1 feeling well, prepared and ready to tackle the new challenges.  In order to do that, you may need to take a few slower  steps and pace things out. ... but 12 months from now an extra 3 weeks won’t even be remembered. 

I wouldn't even be going for the dinner if 11 of my family members weren't flying out too from Australia! 

I've let everyone down, I'm sad not only for myself and the wedding but for my family that have spent thousands to now just come for dinner.

They all excited for their holiday and will make the most of it though.

thankyou for your kind words 😀

Timeline
On 1/31/2018 at 6:59 PM, Illiria said:

Argh another immigration lawyer messing things up for people, sorry you were given bad advice. 

Make sure you  have a return ticket, this is a condition of the esta. 

Also bring with you evidence of needing to return home as they may ask for this.

Remember that the validity of the visa will be dependent on the validity of the medical which is six months. Have you already done your medical? 

Yes I have return ticket and proof of renting ect , hoping for a interview date too which would help .. 

and to add to this show I did medical in oct after I got Noa2 and case number from NVC..

it expires soon so have to do that again maybe next week.

another $600 !!

nvc lost our case after being under AP for 6 weeks for a clerical error . 

Edited by TBoneTX
unnecessary word removed

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

Yes. Enjoy everything that is to celebrate about the trip even if it’s not as you wish it could be. Don’t lose the good because of things out of your control  

It's actually been a huge relief now to know it's just dinner ! 

We are all so excited for our holiday , that's all that matters now! And I get to spend 5 weeks with my amazing fiancé 🙏

10 hours ago, Terri/Ed said:

thankyou ! 

Yes you are correct ! 

Ive only just found out they keep visa so that changes everything

Lucky you !! 

I quit my job of 18 years in nov after we got our Noa2 on oct 6th all ready for the final easy stages that everyone was quoting for NVC stage !! boy was I wrong ! haha 

Yes I have return ticket and proof of renting ect , hoping for a interview date too which would help .. 

and to add to this s**t show I did medical in oct after I got Noa2 and case number from NVC..

it expires soon so have to do that again maybe next week.

another $600 !!

nvc lost our case after being under AP for 6 weeks for a clerical error . 

Ouch!!!!

If i could have the money spent on lawyers who gave bad immigration advice I would be able to buy you and everyone here a drink.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.