Sarah&Facundo

Studying/Internships

11 posts in this topic

Hello!

My fiance is moving on his K1 in March and our wedding is set for early April. I plan on taking him to get his SS number right after we arrive. We plan for applying for his EAD/AOS, like, the next day after the wedding. :)

When he last visited me in December, we went to the local community college. Since we are getting married in April, they said he can start taking classes in mid-May for the summer semester. He would count as in-state since we would be married, which is super helpful for our pockets! As far as I know, studying is okay before receiving the EAD/Green card as long as he won't be receiving financial aid. He wouldn't, as I'll pay for his classes out of my pocket. Is this correct?

I suggested he try to apply for a summer internship while he is in school. This would be for school credit, not for pay. I had several of these in college and never received any kind of compensation. I figure this would be a great time for him to figure out what he wants to do and get some professional references over the summer. I figure he will have his EAD by the end of the summer, or early autumn and can at the very least, apply for a holiday seasonal position at a store somewhere as he continues studying with some past experience and references behind him. Is this okay to do? I don't want to accidentally mislead him.

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Are you sure that he will be counted as a in state? Most of my friends had to wait for their GC until they were counted as in state.

I also had to wait for my GC to be considered for  an in state tuition 

Just now, Bzlibem said:

I also had to wait for my GC to be considered for  an in state tuition 

Exactly! How would you prove that you qualify for in state tuition without a gc? Marriage certificate? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Exactly! How would you prove that you qualify for in state tuition without a gc? Marriage certificate? 

In Colorado you can be an illegal and get In State and a USC and not.

Crazy, but true.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I went to admissions and to the international department and blth said he could get in state/in county. A guy i know who's wife came in on the K1 is getting in state/in county at the same college as well.

Anyway, whatever it is, I'd pay for it. He needs to finish college so he can gain employment going forward. My question is more pertaining to whether he is allowed to take an unpaid internship or not.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline

In Illinois in order to get an in state tuition I had to prove that I’ve been an Illinois resident for at least a year prior to the first day of classes (bills,statements, etc). One of the requirements was not to be a non immigrant visa holder. But it was a state 4 year university. Although, from what I know same requirement was regarding a community college close by. Make sure you check it prior to enrolling in classes because initially I have been told I do qualify for an in state tuition and it wasn’t true. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Intership is a tricky situation for someone that still did not get EAD or GC. I would be very careful in that case.  Keep in mind that EAD can take between 3 to 5 or 6 months in some places to be approved. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.