Yaztalksalot

New York State: Driving License Expiry Date Question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi There, 

Hopefully this is the right forum to post this in. Hoping someone can shed some light on this situation for me. 

I entered the USA on a K1 visa, and got married in September. AOS/EAD/AP was filed on 28th September 2017 and they received on the 1st of October. I have since received my EAD/AP and recently passed my NYS permit test and received the card in the mail. 

I noticed my driver's permit is only valid for a year, which I am assuming is because my  EAD is only valid for a year. I am sitting my road test soon and I'm assuming my actual license will also have the same expiry date.

My question is , once I've got my green card , do I just need to go back to the DMV to get them to change the expiry date to a normal time period , rather than the 12 months .. hope that makes sense... just looking to get some clarity on what to do. 

Thank you

Yaz XOXO.

Edited by Yaztalksalot
added dates

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

I'm from Boston, but my experience might be useful. 

So your driver's license expiration date will reflect the expiration date on your green card. It sounds like you'll be receiving a 2 year conditional green card, so once you get that, you go back to the DMV, and you will get a driver's license with the same expiration date on your green card. And once you remove your condition and receive a 10 year green card, you can go back to DMV to get a new license. This is what they do in Massachusetts, some states will issue you a standard (8 years or something) driver's license, but put a restriction on the back of the card, and specify the date of your green card expires.

Now, you only have a driver's permit, so that could be the reason why it's valid only for one year. A permit is usually valid for 1-2 years since technically it's for "learners". Anyway, once you pass your road test, you'll get your drivers license, and if it's only valid for one year, you go back to update it when you receive your green card. 

Edited by MiraW

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
2 minutes ago, MiraW said:

I'm from Boston, but my experience might be useful. 

So your driver's license expiration date will reflect the expiration date on your green card. It sounds like you'll be receiving a 2 year conditional green card, so once you get that, you go back to the DMV, and you will get a driver's license with the same expiration date on your green card. And once you remove your condition and receive a 10 year green card, you can go back to DMV to get a new license. This is what they do in Massachusetts, some states will issue you a standard (8 years or something) driver's license, but put a restriction on the back of the card, and specify the date of your green card expires.

Now, you only have a driver's permit, so that could be the reason why it's valid only for one year. A permit is usually valid for 1-2 years since technically it's for "learners". Anyway, once you pass your road test, you'll get your drivers license, and if it's only valid for one year, you go back to update it when you receive your green card. 

Thank you so much , that makes sense! It says on the front of my permit (Temporary visitor and the one year expiry date). So yup, I will just put it on the back burner then until I receive my green card!! Just wasn't sure if I'd done something wrong when giving her my paperwork or if it was normal for everyone to go through the same sort of expiry process! At least I know what to do for the next couple of years now, really appreciate your detailed response, thank you again! Have a good weekend! :)

:wub: Immigration & Expat Blog Links :wub:

My Full K1 Fiance Visa Journey

January 2017 Filer

K1 Approved on the 30th of June 2017 (6.5 months in total, no RFEs).

AOS Journey 

October 2017 filer

EAD/AP Approved December 2017 (75 days, no RFEs)

AOS Approved 8/15 (no RFEs) 

Living in the US

Info on getting set up

wedding planning

homesickness & everyday life

2 minutes ago, Yaztalksalot said:

Thank you so much , that makes sense! It says on the front of my permit (Temporary visitor and the one year expiry date). So yup, I will just put it on the back burner then until I receive my green card!! Just wasn't sure if I'd done something wrong when giving her my paperwork or if it was normal for everyone to go through the same sort of expiry process! At least I know what to do for the next couple of years now, really appreciate your detailed response, thank you again! Have a good weekend! :)

Yep! I got that "temporary visitor" statement on my license too (funny I got my permit in NYC actually). It's totally normal. Good luck on your road test. 

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So, whoever I talked to at DMV can't answer my question (!!!)... so I thought I'd ask here...

I got my NYS license in May/17 based off my AOS paperwork and I just remembered that my TEMP VISITOR expires in May/18!

I got EAD/AP in Oct/17. If I go back to DMV and show them my EAD, will my renewed/changed license expire Oct/18?

And then once I get my GC, I'll have to go back AGAIN and get it renewed/changed to a new date that's dependent on my GC date (which will be a 2 year conditional), correct?

Is it really that important to get the TEMP VISITOR date updated since the actual license doesn't expire until Mar/22?

Why oh whyyyyy is this so complicated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.