OSO

Government Shutdown (merged)

88 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, OSO said:

My concern is::  if the Government Shutdown cause their issues it will slow or stop the visa process?

The Department of State (DOS):

Since DOS offices are usually funded for a two-year period, DOS will continue to process such applications as long as sufficient funds are available to execute consular services.  Nevertheless, past experiences with similar shutdowns suggest that any applications filed during this period will experience significant delays in processing.  If the shutdown becomes protracted, it is possible that DOS will suspend all services other than emergency support for U.S. citizens abroad. We, therefore recommend that applicants plan their travel accordingly and if they must apply for visas during the government shut-down, that they attempt to schedule the earliest appointment possible.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Key USCIS systems will be suspended or limited.  The USCIS Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS), which includes E-Verify, will not be operational.  While E-Verify is non-operational, companies will not be able to verify new employee eligibility or enroll them into the system.  They also will not be able to view or take action on any case, or add, delete or edit information.  Furthermore, since key Department of Labor (DOL) operations will be limited (see below), all USCIS applications that require DOL Labor Condition Applications (LCAs) (such as H-1B, E-3 and H-1B1 petitions) will be affected.  Though USCIS has allowed temporary exceptions and/or extensions for such applications in the past, it has not announced whether it will do so for the current shutdown.  However, we have no reason to believe that USCIS will fail to follow precedent.

Manila CRBA & Passport Experience

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/657133-usem-crba-experience/

IR-1/CR-1 Journey

USCIS

09/12/2017: I-130 package sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox

09/18/2017: NOA1 Email

09/26/2017: NOA1 Hardcopy(Texas Service Center)

10/01/2017: Expedite Request Sent

11/18/2017: NOA2 Email

11/30/2017: NOA2 Hardcopy

12/27/2017: Checked receipt number on the USCIS website and they had just forwarded the case to NVC that day *shame*

NVC

01/03/2018: Case received at NVC

01/10/2018: Expedite request sent

01/11/2018: Email received from NVC expedite that inquiry is under review

01/16/2018: IIN and Case number issued

01/18/2018: Expedite approved and immediately forwarded to US Embassy Manila. CEAC says "In Transit"

Medical & Embassy

01/23/2018: Embassy Received case file. CEAC says "Ready"

01/23/2018: DS-260 completed

01/24/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 1

01/25/2018: SLEC Medical DAY 2

02/02/1018: USEM Interview "PASSED"

02/08/2018: Picked up VISA packet at 2GO Laoag

02/09/2018: CFO sticker... went to the seminar Nov. 29 2017 for passport renewal requirement to change to husbands surname

So, in short, yes, it would affect it.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

https://www.us-immigration.com/blog/how-will-the-government-shutdown-affect-immigration-agencies/

what I found is a little different and also similar in some aspects.

uscis is funded by application fees so it is not related to the shutdowns completely, it continues the process.

nvc is a part of dos but dos is budgeted every 2 year, and their fiscal year actually is still going.

embassies will continue processing as long as they funds let them.

overall unless shutdowns go for months it's not going to affect. If it continues too long though we will probably see the affects of it.

shutdown is not a big rare situation actually, it happens quite often. 

However as mentioned above , filing a new application during shutdown may cause delays for the filer. So that's something to keep in mind.

edit: what I wrote has nothing to do with labor related visas. They may be and probably is different if another department is also has a relation to it such as dol.

Edited by Naes

Timeline

Additional info:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_agencies_affected_by_the_United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_2013

uscis lays under department of homeland security 

and rest should be checked in department of state

Uscis is completely self funded like the USPS and would not shut down. (Yes you get junk mail because thats what funds the usps.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

3 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Uscis is completely self funded like the USPS and would not shut down. (Yes you get junk mail because thats what funds the usps.)

The article I just read suggests that there'll be delays with specific working visa types due to needing to access systems run by departments that WILL be shut down... 

So I personally wonder if that might not be GOOD for K-1 & CR-1 visa applications?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I won't be complaining about those junk mails appearing and making me jump in our informed delivery anymore...

1 minute ago, dentsflogged said:

The article I just read suggests that there'll be delays with specific working visa types due to needing to access systems run by departments that WILL be shut down... 

So I personally wonder if that might not be GOOD for K-1 & CR-1 visa applications?

Labor will have delays.

because of DOL systems.

huh wait I just realized what you meant... I wish 🤣

Edited by Naes

7 minutes ago, Naes said:

I won't be complaining about those junk mails appearing and making me jump in our informed delivery anymore...

Labor will have delays.

because of DOL systems.

huh wait I just realized what you meant... I wish 🤣

As someone waiting on NOA2... I can dream, right?  If they're not spending time working on H and E class visas, then they'll hopefully power through K1 and CR1....

25 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Visas are a different story.  That is handled by the DoS. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

So, here we are, facing another likely government shutdown. I, like many of you, started to wonder how this will affect my I-129f application. SO, I sloshed through the forum archives, torch in hand, and discovered that back during the 2013 shutdown and the 2011 almost shutdown, it won't affect us on this thread. It appears that people still had applications processed and whatnot just fine, since the USCIS is fee funded and not really federally funded. 

NOW, that means our I-129f's and the NVC will keep working like normal, but since the State Department will shut down apparently after that is when things will grind to a halt, but a lot of us here aren't at that point yet. BUT, for those that are, it appears that the actually visa issuing and interview will be indefinitely delayed until the shutdown is over. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Geo_nerd82 said:

So, here we are, facing another likely government shutdown. I, like many of you, started to wonder how this will affect my I-129f application. SO, I sloshed through the forum archives, torch in hand, and discovered that back during the 2013 shutdown and the 2011 almost shutdown, it won't affect us on this thread. It appears that people still had applications processed and whatnot just fine, since the USCIS is fee funded and not really federally funded. 

NOW, that means our I-129f's and the NVC will keep working like normal, but since the State Department will shut down apparently after that is when things will grind to a halt, but a lot of us here aren't at that point yet. BUT, for those that are, it appears that the actually visa issuing and interview will be indefinitely delayed until the shutdown is over. 

huh I thought embassies continue working till their budget is up? I would like a link about the issuing and interview part if you have.

Timeline

Because this is what I saw about Visas and department of state: (does not apply to labor related visas)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_agencies_affected_by_the_United_States_federal_government_shutdown_of_2013

Department of StateEdit

The U.S. Department of State continued to process visa and passport applications, using funds from fees, and consular services also continued. The department's Office of the Inspector General shut down. The State Department instituted a hiring freeze and delayed the start dates of applicants who received job offers.[64]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.