nanodice

No joint assets

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently got married to my girlfriend of 2 years who's also a US citizen. We've started the process of applying for the CR1 visa. I will be attending the interview outside the United States.

My question is concerning the evidence that we have to provide in my case. We don't have joint assets. Not even a bank account, since we didn't have time to do that before I ended my vacation. What should we do in this case? I'm going to submit my marriage certificate, statements from witnesses to our marriage ceremony, statement from the minister who conducted the marriage, and pictures from the last two years when we visited each other and pictures of us with our families. 

Would that be enough?

3 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

If you only were on vacation in the US I am pretty sure you can't open a bank account there? Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

I guess I should also state that I used to work in the US back from 2013-2016 and thus, have a Social Security Number. So I don't think that would be a problem for me.

I met her when I was working here, but had to leave due to my visa expiring.

Edited by nanodice

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
36 minutes ago, nanodice said:

I guess I should also state that I used to work in the US back from 2013-2016 and thus, have a Social Security Number. So I don't think that would be a problem for me.

I met her when I was working here, but had to leave due to my visa expiring.

You don't need joint assets.  Most Newlyweds don't have them.  Don't send affidavits from wedding attendees either.  They are not interested in "witnesses".  They want evidence of your relationship.  Focus on the time you spent together in person.  That evidence is mostly stamped in your passport but could include joint travel receipts etc. as well.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

If you only were on vacation in the US I am pretty sure you can't open a bank account there? Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

I have managed to open a bank account in my name by converting my husband's account to a joint account first. It's with Wells Fargo, if it helps. They don't require SSN or anything at all. Just a billing address and ID.

4 minutes ago, ms_bobdog said:

I have managed to open a bank account in my name by converting my husband's account to a joint account first. It's with Wells Fargo, if it helps. They don't require SSN or anything at all. Just a billing address and ID.

And you did that while you were in USA on vacation before you married your husband?

As stated focus on time spent together and regular communicatiin vs assets, bank accounts etc... most non-military banks haven't a clue how to add a foreign spouse.  The USCIS and CO do not expect newlyweds in separate countries to have joint assets. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.