Nat26

Problems with Extension Letter. Not accepted at SSA for last name change. Advice needed.

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I searched all topics here but couldn't find the answer to my situation.

Hope that someone here had a similar situation because I'm desperate for advise.

My local SSA won't process last name change ( marriage) because I have Extension Letter. They told me I have to wait & come back with permanent GC to do it.

Now I'm receiving a letter from RMV saying that my MAss DL won't be renewed at the end of this month because of mismatch with SSA. I'm calling RMV explaining the situation, but of course there is nothing they can do, the last name has to match in order for their system to allow renewal... I'm calling USCIS next explaining situation again, but as expected getting the answer that Extension letter is a valid form to confirm my residency but as SSA is a separate institute I have to follow their rules.

Now I'm stuck and screwed. Feels like everyone just pointing fingers to each other. If I do nothing my DL will expire in 2 weeks and I won't be able to drive/go to work till I get my permanent GC comes, which can take 4-5 months. The idea of loosing my job is so frustrating and so unfair, considering I have all necessary documents to submit ;/ 

Anybody experienced same problem?

Any ideas or advises on what can I do in this situation?

1 hour ago, Nat26 said:

Any ideas or advises on what can I do in this situation?

If you have not changed your name in the 2ish years since you have been married, just keep using your maiden name - keep your licence, ability to drive and save yourself the trouble.  When you do get your green card, go back and change your documents then, if you still care to do it.

Edited by Lemonslice

16 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

If you have not changed your name in the 2ish years since you have been married, just keep using your maiden name - keep your licence, ability to drive and save yourself the trouble.  When you do get your green card, go back and change your documents then, if you still care to do it.

Its been 3 years.. . I did change my name everywhere but taxes. My husband always did them for me, so I never had a visual reminder... I know its my fault on this, but still

Thats a good thought!  I have my new last name everywhere: DL, insurance, car title etc... Do you think if I just come to RMV and ask them to give me DL on my maiden name they'll just change it back?

23 minutes ago, Nat26 said:

Its been 3 years.. . I did change my name everywhere but taxes. My husband always did them for me, so I never had a visual reminder... I know its my fault on this, but still

Thats a good thought!  I have my new last name everywhere: DL, insurance, car title etc... Do you think if I just come to RMV and ask them to give me DL on my maiden name they'll just change it back?

No idea... I hope it will go smoothly.

This is indeed an unusual and awkward situation... how did you get the DL in your married name to begin with, if you didn't have it on your SSN? 

I'd go to the RMV and try to talk to a manager.... bring DL, Green Card + extension, SSN, Passport, Marriage Certificate - anything you can think of that can prove that you're the same person.

I'd also go back to the SSA and talk to a manager there... some people still don't understand that the extension letter should be considered exactly the same as a valid green card. See if they'll allow the change if you talk to someone else.

Does your passport have your married name in it?  If so, you could make an Infopass at USCIS and try to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. They usually wouldn't do it until your extension letter is almost expired, but you may be able to explain your situation and get the stamp - which has the same document number as a green card and should be accepted anywhere the green card is accepted. Then you can go back to RMV and SSA and see if they'll listen to you then.

Sorry this is so convoluted for you... you're in a bit of a catch 22 situation, and there doesn't seem to be a clear way out.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

53 minutes ago, nightingalejules said:

This is indeed an unusual and awkward situation... how did you get the DL in your married name to begin with, if you didn't have it on your SSN? 

I'd go to the RMV and try to talk to a manager.... bring DL, Green Card + extension, SSN, Passport, Marriage Certificate - anything you can think of that can prove that you're the same person.

I'd also go back to the SSA and talk to a manager there... some people still don't understand that the extension letter should be considered exactly the same as a valid green card. See if they'll allow the change if you talk to someone else.

Does your passport have your married name in it?  If so, you could make an Infopass at USCIS and try to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. They usually wouldn't do it until your extension letter is almost expired, but you may be able to explain your situation and get the stamp - which has the same document number as a green card and should be accepted anywhere the green card is accepted. Then you can go back to RMV and SSA and see if they'll listen to you then.

Sorry this is so convoluted for you... you're in a bit of a catch 22 situation, and there doesn't seem to be a clear way out.

Thank you for your reply. 

I honestly just went to the website and submitted a form for name change, attached my certificate of marriage and thats it.. got a new license within a week. Maybe I got caught between changes, since now they have to match last names with SSA . I though it was weird too that I was able to change my last name on DL without it being compared to SSN  but can't renew it without it. 

Yes, my passport has my new last name, in fact every document I have already has updated name. I scheduled appointment for info pass in 2 weeks, my extension expired May,1st, so hopefully they'll stamp it. 

Filed: Timeline

SSA has their own policy. They don't even accept the Passport Card.

09/03/15 - AOS mailed to Chicago

10/05/15 - RFE recvd

10/07/15 - Biometrics done, RFE sent

10/13/15 - Online status changed RFE under review

10/15/15 - 2nd RFE issued and mailed

11/18/15 - RFE response sent

12/03/15 - i765 Approved

12/10/15 - EAD recvd

12/17/15 - Interview is scheduled on Jan 21

01/21/16 - Approved/Card in production

01/28/16 - GC recvd

Researched all day and fond SSA manual where it says they have to accept my Extension Letter and even explain how to put it in their system...

Went back to SSA office, of course had to pull out my manual. got a stinky eye from the worker, but they accepted it! BUT.. just because they can't process it through their computers , it has to be done manually... which might take up to 4 weeks.. still better not driving for 1 month then for half a year....

But now with gov shutdown nothing is moving, and I'm stuck again....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

i also dealed with the troubles between maiden name and married name in 2016.

When we did file jointly tax return with married name, the transmitter system refused our return many times just because my name in SSN was maiden name

We came back SSN office and requested for change the married name with marriage licence and GC 2 (in maiden name)

SSN helped us to send an email to DHS to confirm my maiden name and married name being the one, and we must wait a week for confirmation from DHS approved with my maiden name. After confirmed by DHS, they issued a new SSN card with married name. Before that, we did mail return by paperwork.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.