A_M

*Pleas Help* B2 visa holder can still enter USA if she had stroke and can't talk and on wheelchair ?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I need your help Please, My Mom has Visitor visa and she had a stroke, which left her not able to talk or move.

Can she still enter the USA and come for a visit with her visa with no issue at the port of entry ? 

Please help.

Thanks.

Filed: Timeline
2 minutes ago, A_M said:

Hello everyone.

I need your help Please, My Mom has Visitor visa and she had a stroke, which left her not able to talk or move.

Can she still enter the USA and come for a visit with her visa with no issue at the port of entry ? 

Please help.

Thanks.

She can arrive at the POE and request entry just like everyone else with a tourist visa.

Whether she will be granted entry or have issues is up to the CBP to decide when she arrives. Nobody apart from US citizens are guaranteed entry.

I’m not sure how far away your mom lives, but from a practical perspective it surely may be better to visit her rather than have her visit you give her current physical condition? Or do you have a family member traveling with her who is able to take care of her on the flight, through customs, etc?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Might want to check out Travel Insurance availability before you make any plans.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Your mother will not be denied entry based on her disability. However, she will still be required to answer a border officer's questions at port of entry. The port of entry is required to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities.

My first piece of advice is that your mother should carry an official doctor's note/certificate, in English, stating that she is unable to verbally communicate.

If your mother will be traveling and crossing port of entry with another family member, they may be able to speak on your mother's behalf. However, there will always be a chance that your mother will be brought in to secondary for further screening. This is a possibility for anyone entering the U.S., and I would not think your mother would be at an increased risk of this.

I would recommend calling U.S. Customs & Border Protection prior to your mother's trip, particularly if she will be traveling alone. Inform them of your mother's condition and ask what arrangements should be made prior to arriving at her port of entry.

Remember to also inform your mother's airline of her requirements.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’m not sure how far away your mom lives, but from a practical perspective it surely may be better to visit her rather than have her visit you give her current physical condition? Or do you have a family member traveling with her who is able to take care of her on the flight, through customs, etc?

someone will travel with her and take care of her during the travel time, She wanna see my Son here and wanna visit.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, jle2234 said:

Your mother will not be denied entry based on her disability. However, she will still be required to answer a border officer's questions at port of entry. The port of entry is required to make reasonable accommodations for disabilities.

My first piece of advice is that your mother should carry an official doctor's note/certificate, in English, stating that she is unable to verbally communicate.

If your mother will be traveling and crossing port of entry with another family member, they may be able to speak on your mother's behalf. However, there will always be a chance that your mother will be brought in to secondary for further screening. This is a possibility for anyone entering the U.S., and I would not think your mother would be at an increased risk of this.

I would recommend calling U.S. Customs & Border Protection prior to your mother's trip, particularly if she will be traveling alone. Inform them of your mother's condition and ask what arrangements should be made prior to arriving at her port of entry.

Remember to also inform your mother's airline of her requirements.

Thank you so much.

Timeline

I am intrigued about Travel Insurance, do come back and update.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Request the airline for wheel chair assistance when you buy the ticket or now if already bought / this will help especially when for any layovers

some airports have an extreme amount of walking and elevation changes/ asking for wheel chair gets an attendant who can use elevators and get you to the next plane faster

we took my mom to Ecuador to see an exchange student and we were allowed to accompany her in wheelchair and speak for her at customs in Ecuador and back in Miami at customs and immigration 

she may experience trouble on the plane with altitude because of her stroke especially if she is now on blood thinners 

blood thinners will also make her feel tired and cold so the person with her should ask for extra blanket on the plane

44 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I am intrigued about Travel Insurance, do come back and update.

This is a very important point, definitely risky to go with the usual “free insurance with credit card” for something like this. I recall that my uncle had to get special insurance for stroke patients.

from my own experience having to use travel insurance in the US before - we had to pay the hospital upfront and claim from insurance when we got home - maybe something else to consider. Don’t know if they all work like this.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

This is a very important point, definitely risky to go with the usual “free insurance with credit card” for something like this. I recall that my uncle had to get special insurance for stroke patients.

from my own experience having to use travel insurance in the US before - we had to pay the hospital upfront and claim from insurance when we got home - maybe something else to consider. Don’t know if they all work like this.

Ooops wrong thread.

Certainly nowadays Travel Insurers have US contacts, they have Help Centers etc so that should not be an issue, especially when you could be talking hundreds of thousands of dollars for a fairly small issue.

Edited by Boiler

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Ooops wrong thread.

Certainly nowadays Travel Insurers have US contacts, they have Help Centers etc so that should not be an issue, especially when you could be talking hundreds of thousands of dollars for a fairly small issue.

That’s assuming the travel insurance covers stroke victims.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

That’s assuming the travel insurance covers stroke victims.

Normally it would fall under pre existing exclusion which is why you need to both disclose it and make sure you get the rider to cover anything arising out of it.

Went through something similar with my Mum.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My father had a stroke two years ago and has speech difficulty and wheelchair bound now. I am actually a physical therapist that works with people in the Neuro field. My father has had consistent follow ups with his Neurologist and Rehab Team since the stroke. He has also had two follow up surgeries to prevent further complications and strokes. 

This would be a very risky situation because of the follow ups usually required and complications that come with stroke, especially someone that has recently had a severe stroke with lasting complications. If they are planning on coming for any period of time I would make sure they have medical plan in place (doctors and medical costs covered). Research shows chances of a second stroke within a year are fairly high which is why follow ups are so important. 

Not to mention complications with DVTs and travel with medically complex conditions and people that are movement impaired. I would have a serious conversion with a Rehab team/medical team about international travel at this stage of her recovery. I hope your mom continues to make a good recovery. It took 2 years for my father to start speaking in sentences again. Its a very difficult journey and I hope the best for your mother. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.