heartinKorea

Which Order?: Getting Married, Getting Social Security Number, Filing AOS

33 posts in this topic

I've read conflicting things about this, so I just want to clarify. I (the US petitioner) am female and my fiance is male, and we want to clarify which order we need to complete these steps once he arrives in the states. 

Can we get married first within the first 2 weeks and then file for his SS #? I read before that a lot of people had trouble when they got married and/or filed for AOS before getting their social, so I just want to clarify. We would like to get married and file as soon as possible after her arrives, but want to make sure we do everything correctly. 

You can get married first and then apply for a SSN as long as its at least 2 weeks before his I-94 expires.

The only issue is, is when you have ~14 days left and SSA office will be a pain to issue one.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Some states don’t require you to have SSN to get a marriage certificate. You can actually do both at the same day. Just do everything super fast because it takes a good two weeks to receive your SSN and file for AOS ASAP as things are taking so long to process you don’t wanna waste time. 

1 hour ago, heartinKorea said:

I've read conflicting things about this, so I just want to clarify. I (the US petitioner) am female and my fiance is male, and we want to clarify which order we need to complete these steps once he arrives in the states. 

Can we get married first within the first 2 weeks and then file for his SS #? I read before that a lot of people had trouble when they got married and/or filed for AOS before getting their social, so I just want to clarify. We would like to get married and file as soon as possible after her arrives, but want to make sure we do everything correctly. 

I've read they can get a SSN once they have come on the K1 but I would personally wait until you have your marriage certificate just so you won't have any issues then go for the AOS make sure you do the permission to work and travel with it. It's completely free with the AOS fee but they charge for it if you file it by itself.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I will be applying for SSN first before getting married. Once I get my SSN number we will get married. Each person has their own opinion which they prefer to do first. However, for me, I prefer not care about their opinion and just follow the process. :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

From what I've read, it seems like the best plan is to apply for his SSN as soon as he can after entering the US. If you wait too long, you'll have to wait until all the other petitions go through, which will seem like forever! 

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I added my fiance to my bank account and health insurance a few days after he arrived. I did both without a SSN. However, it would have been sooo much easier to do both with a SSN (the bank called me every other day wanting a SSN). If I had to do it over....I would have taken him to get the SSN first (the card arrived in less than 10 days). We were married a few days later and are currently filing AOS.

Edited by janet3

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Brittani said:

I've read they can get a SSN once they have come on the K1 but I would personally wait until you have your marriage certificate just so you won't have any issues then go for the AOS make sure you do the permission to work and travel with it. It's completely free with the AOS fee but they charge for it if you file it by itself.

What kind of AOS issues will the SSN cause?

YMMV

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What kind of AOS issues will the SSN cause?

None? I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Get the SSN as soon as you can you'll have to have it for all sorts of things here in the US especially working then apply for your adjustment of status.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brittani said:

None? I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Get the SSN as soon as you can you'll have to have it for all sorts of things here in the US especially working then apply for your adjustment of status.

OK.  there are many reports that if a name change occurs as the result of the marriage it causes problems for getting an SSN, because they will not issue the SSN in a name different than the name on your current immigration status documents. 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

OK.  there are many reports that if a name change occurs as the result of the marriage it causes problems for getting an SSN, because they will not issue the SSN in a name different than the name on your current immigration status documents. 

I have also read that that's why I would personally wait until both of y'all get married so the name is the same. I'm female and my fiance is male so his name won't change at all. We got lucky on that part. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brittani said:

I have also read that that's why I would personally wait until both of y'all get married so the name is the same. I'm female and my fiance is male so his name won't change at all. We got lucky on that part. 

You absolutely can do that.  My sequence was arrival, SSN (maiden name), marriage, AOS, Greencard (married name), Name change on SSN to match GC and removal of validity restrictions.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

You absolutely can do that.  My sequence was arrival, SSN (maiden name), marriage, AOS, Greencard (married name), Name change on SSN to match GC and removal of validity restrictions.

That’s exactly how I plan to do it :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.