gazgazain

I-864 or I-864EZ for Step Child

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello All,

I have been searching the VJ forums for hours but have not really found an answer to my question. I filed I-130 for my step son and it was approved. Now I am trying to prepare some documents and the confusion is starting. I do not want to get a checklist just because I did not file the correct I-864. I am pretty sure that I should not do the I-864W as it relates to natural and adopted children. I am also sure that it is not the I-864A as I am not using someone else to support my application. That leaves I-864 and I-864EZ.

I am using only my salary to qualify and I am a USC. His mother is GC holder. The I-130 is only for my step son. So these are two of the three statements for the I-864EZ. I am not sure if my step son qualifies as a relative.

In short can I file a I-864EZ or should I do the I-864.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

you can use either

the difference is that for the i864ez, you must qualify on your own income, you have to make enough to cover your whole family, you can't use a joint sponsor or household member

with the i864, if you don't make enough, your wife can be your household member and can combine income using the i864A

or if you need a joint sponsor, another person, then you will need the i864

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/6/2018 at 9:52 AM, gazgazain said:

Thank you for the quick response. I make over $100K per year so I should be ok, right.

How many number of household? 

If only for #3 then you be fine. Check poverty guideline for reference to be sure.

Timeline

Hello,

household will be 4 with the stepson. I checked the poverty guidelines in USCIS Form I-864P, and family for 4 the poverty guideline is 30,750 dollars. I am pretty sure I qualify.

Thanks for the info.

Timeline

Hello Again,

1 more question.

Under the section of the household.

I previously sponsored my spouse and I have entered her in area 1b. She has green card and we are legally married.

In section 1d, they want me to enter the number of lawful permanent residents whom you are currently obligated to support based on your previous submissions of Form I-864 or Form I-864EZ. Should I enter my spouse again or is she already covered under 1b?

Thanks,

Jonny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.