GSDLvr

A few questions about filing my petition

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm getting ready to send in my petition for K1 visa and I have a few clarifying questions.....

1) I do not have a passport book (I'm getting one) can i use my passport card?  

2) my fiancé lives in sweden,  I'm planning on going over there to go to his interview with him when the time comes,  should I say that when writing about our on going relationship? 

3) is it better to open a checking account with both our names before obtaining a k1? 

4)we also have a plan to start a business and other plans with our hobbies,  is it good to talk about our plans? 

5)we both breed dogs,  would it look good to have a registered kennel under both our names? 

I know some of these are probably stupid questions but I've read so many stories I'm just worried :)

Thanks! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, GSDLvr said:

I'm getting ready to send in my petition for K1 visa and I have a few clarifying questions.....

2) my fiancé lives in sweden,  I'm planning on going over there to go to his interview with him when the time comes,  should I say that when writing about our on going relationship? 

3) is it better to open a checking account with both our names before obtaining a k1? 

4)we also have a plan to start a business and other plans with our hobbies,  is it good to talk about our plans? 

5)we both breed dogs,  would it look good to have a registered kennel under both our names? 

I know some of these are probably stupid questions but I've read so many stories I'm just worried :)

Thanks! 

1)  You need to provide one or more of the identity documents as stated in the petition instructions.  If the passport card is listed then you may use it

2, 3, 4, 5  are all potential items for the visa interview at the Emabassy

YMMV

So have you met yet? I seem to recall your previous thread where you haven't net yet. 

Take it one one step at a time. Meet first. Then file for fiancé visa if the online feelings are as strong (or stronger!) in real life. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I couldnt get a checking account for both of us and we are married - so if you can do that with your fiance then good luck. Most banks require them to be there in person or have a SSN

54 minutes ago, GSDLvr said:

Yes,  we spend the last couple weeks together including the holidays with my family.... 

So pleased he could visit at such short notice. On December 12 you said you were going to see him for the first time in February 2018. But a few days later he arrived to see you? What a nice surprise for you. 

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, GSDLvr said:

Thanks! 

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about 3, 4 or 5 until after your fiancé has the visa and you are actually married. You can certainly talk about future plans, but I wouldn’t start forming business partnerships until after you are married and he is authorized to work legally in the US.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
2 hours ago, JFH said:

So pleased he could visit at such short notice. On December 12 you said you were going to see him for the first time in February 2018. But a few days later he arrived to see you? What a nice surprise for you. 

Yes it was a nice surprise for me,  I'm very lucky to have someone that can make things work like that...

Timeline
3 hours ago, EandH0904 said:

I couldnt get a checking account for both of us and we are married - so if you can do that with your fiance then good luck. Most banks require them to be there in person or have a SSN

I haven't looked into it yet, wanted to see if it was worth taking the time to do so.... but I'm sure you're right about the SSN... 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about 3, 4 or 5 until after your fiancé has the visa and you are actually married. You can certainly talk about future plans, but I wouldn’t start forming business partnerships until after you are married and he is authorized to work legally in the US.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, I didn't mean to venture into business partnerships now,  I meant to mention it as a plan, I wasn't sure if it would be helpful to say what we are planning to do in the future or not...

Happy new year!

58 minutes ago, GSDLvr said:

Thanks for the reply, I didn't mean to venture into business partnerships now,  I meant to mention it as a plan, I wasn't sure if it would be helpful to say what we are planning to do in the future or not...

Happy new year!

It's a K-1 visa, not a job interview. The visa is for couples from two different countries to be able to live in homeland of one of them - the USA. They are interested in general eligibility (health, moral character, free to marry) and that the relationship is genuine. They are not interested in plans to run businesses, etc. Given that he won't be able to work for many months after he arrives, I wouldn't get carried away with plans for years down the line when there is the pressing matter of how to pay your day to day expenses on one salary for many months. Plus the hefty AOS fees. 

I know now it's easy to get carried away with plans when you've only just met and many new couples get excited and plan out the next 20 years without their feet touching the ground. Keep it real. That's what counts in this. We even sent copies of messages between us where we had a disagreement (and, most importantly, how we talked it through and resolved it). It's real life. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
9 hours ago, GSDLvr said:

Thanks! 

It depends on why you are sending in your passport (book or card). Is it to prove citizenship or to prove you guys have met in person?

- If for the citizenship then you can send in your birth certificate( if born in US) or certificate of naturalization or citizenship( if citizenship was obtain other then by birth here)

- if its for proof of meeting in person then you can get copies from your fiances passport and entry/exit stamps.

i would send in both of those i listed to prove both citizenship and proof of meeting in person

Edited by K&N2609

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought there is now only one type of Passport?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Theres a passport card also. But thats usually to mexico and canada and only by land or sea, not air. I entered mexico about a year ago with one instead of carrying around my passport book. It will have a different id number on it then the book

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/card.html

Edited by K&N2609

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
5 minutes ago, K&N2609 said:

Theres a passport card also. But thats usually to mexico and canada and only by land not air or water. I entered mexico about a year ago with one instead of carrying around my passport book. It will have a different id number on it then the book

Thanks

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.