chaoticlogic

Evidence that we do and don't have

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

My wife came to the states from Spain in October 2015. Until April 2016, we lived with my parents while we were trying to save money. We have no real evidence of bills or anything there, as we didn't pay rent or utilities (my parents were a huge help to us). Overall, we have an underwhelming amount of evidence of us living together. Here is what we do have, and what we don't have. After reading, if you have kindly taken the time, please list what you may think we could possibly use. Again, we can't use what we don't have, sadly.

Do have:

- Jointly filed tax return transcripts from 2015 and 2016

- W2 forms for both us at our address that we moved to in April 2016

- Pay stubs from my wife's job

- Monthly bank transactions with both our names on the account (my mother's name is also on the account, our bank made it easier to do it this way)

- Several scans of checks of rent payment at the new place with both my wife's name and mine on the check with our new address

- Written and signed agreement between my parents, me and my wife stating we would pay back any living expenses for living with them after becoming more financially stable

- Lease agreements for the place we moved to in April 2016, and another for the one we just moved to

- Utility bill for many months with both our names on it (I have others, but they only show my name)

- Scans of blank check with that address and both our names

- Scans of our debit cards

- Scans of our driver's license with our even newer address (we moved around 60 days ago)

- Car insurance that shows me as the policy holder for both cars, but her name listed as one of the drivers on the policy

- Screenshot from Verizon's app showing my wife as part of my family plan

- Itinerary and boarding passes and passport stamps to our trip to Spain last year for Christmas

- Hotel reservation (only my name is on this) for trip to DC earlier this year

- Lots and lots of pictures of us together and with family and friends (which are the "best" ones to include?)

- We can easily get affidavits, but from who? Are relatives allowed? Also, the example I found on the site for the affidavit seemed to be in super legal jargon and didn't seem "heartfelt" at all. Is there another way to write this?

Don't have:

- Health insurance together. I am on ACA and she doesn't have health insurance (this is more a personal choice than any complication that arose)

- Joint car titles (both are in my name, we worried this may raise our insurance cost here in NC to put two names)

- Joint credit cards

- Many other things I can't think of right now.

Honestly, I'm not super worried (very odd of me given how meticulous I was with our other petitions) I front loaded our I-485 like crazy, and we actually got the interview waived. She directly got her green card before she even received her Employment Authorization or Advance Parole, which was wonderful. I'm not sure if this will really help us at all though, as a different officer will be looking at this one.

Any tips on how to milk the evidence we do have would be great. I'm sorry for the long post, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by chaoticlogic

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

2 hours ago, chaoticlogic said:

My wife came to the states from Spain in October 2015. Until April 2016, we lived with my parents while we were trying to save money. We have no real evidence of bills or anything there, as we didn't pay rent or utilities (my parents were a huge help to us). Overall, we have an underwhelming amount of evidence of us living together. Here is what we do have, and what we don't have. After reading, if you have kindly taken the time, please list what you may think we could possibly use. Again, we can't use what we don't have, sadly.

Do have:

- Jointly filed tax return transcripts from 2015 and 2016

- W2 forms for both us at our address that we moved to in April 2016

- Pay stubs from my wife's job

- Monthly bank transactions with both our names on the account (my mother's name is also on the account, our bank made it easier to do it this way)

- Several scans of checks of rent payment at the new place with both my wife's name and mine on the check with our new address

- Written and signed agreement between my parents, me and my wife stating we would pay back any living expenses for living with them after becoming more financially stable

- Lease agreements for the place we moved to in April 2016, and another for the one we just moved to

- Utility bill for many months with both our names on it (I have others, but they only show my name)

- Scans of blank check with that address and both our names

- Scans of our debit cards

- Scans of our driver's license with our even newer address (we moved around 60 days ago)

- Car insurance that shows me as the policy holder for both cars, but her name listed as one of the drivers on the policy

- Screenshot from Verizon's app showing my wife as part of my family plan

- Itinerary and boarding passes and passport stamps to our trip to Spain last year for Christmas

- Hotel reservation (only my name is on this) for trip to DC earlier this year

- Lots and lots of pictures of us together and with family and friends (which are the "best" ones to include?)

- We can easily get affidavits, but from who? Are relatives allowed? Also, the example I found on the site for the affidavit seemed to be in super legal jargon and didn't seem "heartfelt" at all. Is there another way to write this?

Don't have:

- Health insurance together. I am on ACA and she doesn't have health insurance (this is more a personal choice than any complication that arose)

- Joint car titles (both are in my name, we worried this may raise our insurance cost here in NC to put two names)

- Joint credit cards

- Many other things I can't think of right now.

Honestly, I'm not super worried (very odd of me given how meticulous I was with our other petitions) I front loaded our I-485 like crazy, and we actually got the interview waived. She directly got her green card before she even received her Employment Authorization or Advance Parole, which was wonderful. I'm not sure if this will really help us at all though, as a different officer will be looking at this one.

Any tips on how to milk the evidence we do have would be great. I'm sorry for the long post, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I honestly don't think you have a thin amount of evidences. You have some pretty strong ones. With IRS tax transcripts, you do not need to include your W2s. And you have joint bank statements that shows both of your names and have your lease as well. It's all a matter of how you present your evidences that shows that you both were together the past two years. Not having both names on the car title is I think understandable. My wife and I neither have one under both of us but we do have a joint auto policy authorizing each other to drive both cars. 

If I had the evidences that you have I would present them this way:

A. Proofs of Joint Residence:

-Joint lease (first address)

-Joint lease or notarized rental agreement (second address)

-Joint lease or notarized rental agreement (third address)

-Joint Utility Bills (first address)

-Joint Utility Bills (second address)

-Joint Utility Bills (third address)

-both driver's licenses showing same address of residence

B. Joint Finances and Liabilities:

-IRS Tax Transcript  (2015 and 2016)

-scans of couple's debit cards showing same account

-Joint Bank Account Statements (from date of marriage till latest before ROC filing; every statement would be best)

-Joint Auto Insurance Policy (attaching proof of premium payments such as receipts would be good as well)

-Screenshot of Verizon Phone Bill showing family plan with spouse (this can serve as supplementary evidence)

C. Other Evidences of Continuous Marriage

-Pictures! (It's good that you have a lot. Timeline your pictures from date of marriage till latest one. It would be best to only include pictures during special events and with friends & family such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Anniversaries etc. Specify dates and what the occasions are.)

-Two Sworn Affidavits (this is only a supplemental evidence as well. no need to get notarized as long as affixed is their original signature and includes the statement "I swear under the penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true to the best of my knowledge." And of course include the affidavit information required by USCIS.

-Out Of Town Trips Together (So do include that hotel receipt you have and attach pictures of you together with identifiable landmarks of the place you went to; this should be proof enough)

I think these should be enough to show that your marriage is real, on going, and you both are taking care of each other.

Just present them in an organized manner that shows your evidences span the two years you have been together so far.

Other evidences you can also add if you want that are inexpensive but would also help and not just for ROC sake but to help you both as a couple:

-Gather greeting cards sent to both of you

-Get Home Renters Insurance, dental insurance, and/or vision insurance (inexpensive and you can have both of your names on the policy)

-Life Insurance (My wife and I didn't get this one yet but are looking into this ourselves)

-Magazine Subscription (for only $12 a month, they can mail monthly an edition with both your names on the mailing address)

Anyway, I hope everything goes well. Wish you and your spouse the best! God Bless!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I know you are a new couple, but it NEVER hurts to have Wills and Advanced Directives.  You are showing past and present "togetherness" with your list of evidence.  Wills and Advanced Directives show that you are planning to take care of each other in the future as well.

It's fine to have only one of you on the car title as long as both names are listed as "covered driver's" on your insurance.  And the idea of getting renter's insurance is a good one!

I think your list is OK.  Don't sweat the medical insurance stuff.  Lots of people have separate policies due to employer rules.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Thanks so much guys! Hoping to get this in the mail the first week or so of January. This really helps!

K1 until Green Card

01/13/15 - I-129F package sent

01/15/15 - Arrived at Texas Service Center (sigh...)

01/27/15 - NOA1 in hand

07/16/15 - Case was approved!

07/21/15 - NOA2 in hand

07/24/15 - Case sent to NVC

08/03/15 - NVC Case # Assigned / Case sent to embassy (estimate)

08/05/15 - Arrived at embassy

08/12/15 - Packet 3 received

08/17/15 - Packet 3 sent

08/28/15 - Packet 4 received

09/28/15 - Medical

09/30/15 - Interview - approved

10/07/15 - K1 Visa in hand

10/22/15 - POE

11/06/15 - Married!

12/15/15 - I-485 package sent
02/29/16 - I-485 approved (interview waived)

03/08/16 - Green Card in hand

On 12/29/2017 at 9:26 AM, chaoticlogic said:

Thanks so much guys! Hoping to get this in the mail the first week or so of January. This really helps!

You're welcome!! Happy new year to you and your spouse! :))

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.