kiaradv

Entering USA on Tourist Visa and daughter submitting I-130

47 posts in this topic

Hello Visa Journiers, (don't know if that's a word :)

So, I have a friend who is requesting my help in the paper work for her mother. Here's the story:

My friends is Permanent Resident of USA and her mom entered the USA under a tourist visa.  My friend wants to submit I-130 for her mom and for the mom to stay and wait until her paper comes out. 

I honestly dont know how this works, the process and the consequences of this action.  She's asking for my help because I did all the paper work for my hubby myself. 

Can anyone please advice me as to this? 

Thanks in advance <3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

" Green card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, kiaradv said:

Hello Visa Journiers, (don't know if that's a word :)

So, I have a friend who is requesting my help in the paper work for her mother. Here's the story:

My friends is Permanent Resident of USA and her mom entered the USA under a tourist visa.  My friend wants to submit I-130 for her mom and for the mom to stay and wait until her paper comes out. 

I honestly dont know how this works, the process and the consequences of this action.  She's asking for my help because I did all the paper work for my hubby myself. 

Can anyone please advice me as to this? 

Thanks in advance <3

She can’t. Your friend must be a US citizen first before she can petition for parents.

if her mom continues to stay she will overstay her visitor visa and be here out of status. She should have her mother return home and wait until she naturalized before trying to bring her here. But she also should not be planning to use her mom’s visitor visa for her to come and adjust her status. 

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, missileman said:

" Green card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States."

Sorry, she’s actually a citizen. 

18 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

She can’t. Your friend must be a US citizen first before she can petition for parents.

if her mom continues to stay she will overstay her visitor visa and be here out of status. She should have her mother return home and wait until she naturalized before trying to bring her here. But she also should not be planning to use her mom’s visitor visa for her to come and adjust her status. 

Sorry she’s actually a citizen 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

she is already here right? then she should be sending the whole adjustment of status package, not just the i130

Edited by aleful

6 minutes ago, kiaradv said:

Sorry, she’s actually a citizen. 

Sorry she’s actually a citizen 

Then follow the guides...

http://www.visajourney.com/content/guides/

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

If she is a citizen, can her mother return to her country and follow the normal immigration process?   Doesn't she still have responsibilities in her home country since she came to the US just to visit temporarily?

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Eric-Pris said:

Not that she cares, but your friend (and her mother) is committing visa fraud.  Personally, I hope the mother gets denied, deported, and permanently banned from the US and her daughter goes to prison for perjury.

not true

that's if she enters the country, she is already here, if she had lied at customs to an officer maybe, but overstay is forgiven for parents of a USC who entered legally the country

Timeline
14 minutes ago, missileman said:

If she is a citizen, can her mother return to her country and follow the normal immigration process?   Doesn't she still have responsibilities in her home country since she came to the US just to visit temporarily?

they have to decide what they want to do, if she want's to return to her country, then she should leave before she overstays to not loose the tourist visa, and only file the i130 to have the interview in her country. the process will take a year

if she overstays, she will have to wait until she gets the advance parole to go back to her country for a short period of time, they will file the whole adjustment of status packet and she will have her interview, here in the US

Timeline
6 minutes ago, aleful said:

they have to decide what they want to do, if she want's to return to her country, then she should leave before she overstays to not loose the tourist visa, and only file the i130 to have the interview in her country. the process will take a year

if she overstays, she will have to wait until she gets the advance parole to go back to her country for a short period of time, they will file the whole adjustment of status packet and she will have her interview, here in the US

Thank you, but I know how the immigration system works.  My wife (here via a CR-1)and I were apart for more than a year, even though she is from a VWP country.

Edited by missileman

I cannot stand it if people use a TOURIST VISA or ESTA to adjust status here in the US knowing that they will stay here!

Makes my blood boil!

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

I cannot stand it if people use a TOURIST VISA or ESTA to adjust status here in the US knowing that they will stay here!

Makes my blood boil!

well I can not stand when people seek out USC's online and use them just for a visa bc they can not come here to visit any other way! then miraculously as soon as they get their greencard (or soon after) they leave. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.