Martika

Elderly parent - health insurance

25 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am considering bringing my mom to the US but I am wondering how the health insurance will work for her. She is 65 years old and will not work in the US - I will take care of her financial needs (she gets pension in Poland). Since I can't add her to my group health insurance though my employer what options does she have? 

Thank you in advance.

Martika

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From my understanding you can always purchase health insurance however many health Insurance companies will not cover "preexisting" medical issues. So if she has any type of illness and they can track back a future illness to that original illness, there may be some issues. If she is healthy now than great. It shouldn't be a problem just a tad expensive.

On the other hand some insurance carriers make you pay upfront for all expenses until you reach a certain amount for example once you've paid 3000 dollars than the insurance kicks in. And others have high deductibles.    

I'm new to the USA but this is what I've been told so far (if you do not have coverage through work)

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

First option is always paying out of pocket.

You will have to do a lot of research to find an insurance company and plan that will not break the bank. Ask for some quotes. Don't be surprised to see monthly quotes from healthcare coverage $800 to $1,500 per month as was reported by some members here who are paying for their parents.

Healthcare in the US is not for the frugal.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

From my understanding you can always purchase health insurance however many health Insurance companies will not cover "preexisting" medical issues. So if she has any type of illness and they can track back a future illness to that original illness, there may be some issues. If she is healthy now than great. It shouldn't be a problem just a tad expensive.

On the other hand some insurance carriers make you pay upfront for all expenses until you reach a certain amount for example once you've paid 3000 dollars than the insurance kicks in. And others have high deductibles.    

I'm new to the USA but this is what I've been told so far (if you do not have coverage through work)

Covering pre-existing medical conditions is one of the cornerstones of federal law (ACA). By law, pre-existing conditions must be covered in order to have an insurance that is federally compliant. All major insurers comply with this.

OP: It can be difficult when it comes to getting coverage for the elderly... but it can be done. There's a thread in particular iirc discussing the subject. Have a read through this entire thread.

This person went through using Obamacare, however other options for you could also include paying out of pocket for private insurance - that is provided the insurer has no issues in covering the elderly. Typically elderly individuals switch over to Medicare + supplement plans, however new immigrants aren't eligible for that, so that often leaves their sponsors to seek out other methods of coverage. Either way - whatever you choose expect to pay a lot, and it's just one of those additional expenses and responsibilities you'll face in take care of your mom if you really want to bring her here. Temporary insurances, travel insurances, and insurances marketed toward immigrants are not compliant and that means the penalty in taxes will kick in. Remember all persons residing in the US must have insurance or pay the penalty.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Short version she would need to buy from the Exchange for 5 years after becoming a LPR and then can buy into Medicare.

If she has the funds doable.

Assuming nothing changes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is your mother just on a tourist visa (B-2) or will she gain permanent resident status at some point?

The options for someone who is on a tourist visa and those who have legal immigration status have different options available to them.

13 hours ago, acidrain said:

Is your mother just on a tourist visa (B-2) or will she gain permanent resident status at some point?

The options for someone who is on a tourist visa and those who have legal immigration status have different options available to them.

Currently on a B2 but she is going to return to Poland and I would like to start her petition through the consular processing. I am afraid that AOS while in the US will be risky. 

17 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

First option is always paying out of pocket.

You will have to do a lot of research to find an insurance company and plan that will not break the bank. Ask for some quotes. Don't be surprised to see monthly quotes from healthcare coverage $800 to $1,500 per month as was reported by some members here who are paying for their parents.

Healthcare in the US is not for the frugal.

I was expecting ~ $900 per month. Crazy! 

Timeline

So you are looking at 2019 and I doubt anybody knows what OCare will look like by then, assuming nothing changes much she will need to buy outside Medicare for 5 years before she can buy into Medicare.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Martika said:

I was expecting ~ $900 per month. Crazy! 

You need to consider total costs, Medicare, various add ons and also what is not covered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Martika said:

Currently on a B2 but she is going to return to Poland and I would like to start her petition through the consular processing. I am afraid that AOS while in the US will be risky. 

We had to enlist my father in law on Obamacare before we were able to enroll him on Medicare because of how open enrollment works (he is a US citizen who had never lived in the US over 65). His monthly insurance was $880/month for a silver plan. But my spouse's Obamacare premiums went up quite a bit next year so I am sure if he was still enrolled the cost would be much higher.

One of the rules Obamacare has in place is they cannot charge more than 3x that of a younger person. However, Trump and the GOP wants to change that to 5x. We were fortunate Obamcare in it's present form does not discriminate against pre-existing conditions or age. Otherwise I can't even imagine what my father in law would've paid.

It also depends what state you would be applying for on the exchange as some have struggled to find insurers. In Nevada there was only a few options for my father in law as I am sure none of them wanted lose money. Keep in mind a silver plan pays 80% for most things but 20% is out of pocket. Things like x-rays he had to pay until Medicare kicked in. The biggest surprise moving from Canada was the cost of medications. We were absolutely floored to see how much the pharmaceutical companies make. For one of his eye drops in Canada it cost him about $35. In the US they charge him $180.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So you are looking at 2019 and I doubt anybody knows what OCare will look like by then, assuming nothing changes much she will need to buy outside Medicare for 5 years before she can buy into Medicare.

I've been looking at some of the literature my mother has regarding medicare (she's about to retire) and what stood out to me was that you were expected to pay 20% of nearly everything.  That could get pricey fast for the kind of care an older person requires.

In any case, she mentioned something about the medicare plan costing around $700ish a month + the 20%.   Elder insurance sounds ridiculously confusing.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

I seem to remember buying into the basic  (A?) was $400 plus and then there are the add ons.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Regardless she is not eligible for medicare for five years and then she will have to buy into if she wishes that insurance which is more than someone who signs up at 65.

The future of the ACA is in question right now. Although it is still the law Trump is defunding all the subsidies for it to make it collapse. No one knows what health insurance will look like in 2 years. In general I think the estimates you are getting are in the right ballpark. It is important you school yourself on the different types of coverage such as HMO versus PPO, deductibles, annual out of pocket expenses, in and out of network providers. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.