Mojordan

Which type of health insurance do I need?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm having a little trouble understanding what type of health insurance I need to be on at this point in time.

I am the Beneficiary, from the UK. I entered the US on a K1 visa on 12/03/2017 and married my USC husband / Petitioner on 12/11/2017. We're currently still waiting on the marriage certificate to begin the AOS process.

Is it best to purchase some type of travel insurance now or to wait until I begin the AOS process (Will I have more options then?)

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Mojordan

K-1 Visa

3/17/17 - I-129F Mailed from London

3/28/17Arrived at Lewisville, TX

4/03/17 - Received a letter from USCIS stating they received an empty envelope (??) attached with the envelope we sent the package in

4/07/17Check Cashed and NOA1 email (I guess the rest of the package got to them)

4/15/17 - NOA1 hard copy received (Rcv date 4/03/17, NOA1 date 4/06/17)

9/1/17 - NOA2 Approval via online tracker

9/6/17 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

9/18/17 - Called NVC and received case number

9/20/17 - Case Arrived at Embassy

10/12/17 - Medical

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mojordan said:

I'm having a little trouble understanding what type of health insurance I need to be on at this point in time.

I am the Beneficiary, from the UK. I entered the US on a K1 visa on 12/03/2017 and married my USC husband / Petitioner on 12/11/2017. We're currently still waiting on the marriage certificate to begin the AOS process.

Is it best to purchase some type of travel insurance now or to wait until I begin the AOS process (Will I have more options then?)

Thanks in advance. 

Hi,

I'm not sure if this answers your questions, but just an insight. :) 

Are you trying to get your own health insurance or being with your husband's health insurance? 

You will need submit a copy of  the marriage certificate as proof, if your husband is planning to add you as his dependent on his insurance. If this is the case, your husband has 60 days from the date you guys got married to add you on his insurance. https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

Good luck! :) 

AOS

10/10/17 – Package sent (Chicago Lockbox)

10/17/17- Package received 

10/25/17 – E-notification (Text & Email) received

10/30/17 – NOA1 Received (From MSC/NBC)

11/03/17 - Biometrics Appointment Received (Appt. 11/14/17)

11/14/15 - Biometrics for I-485 & I-765 done

01/08/2018 - Received NOA2 (Request for applicant to appear for initial interview) 

01/17/2018 - EAD/AP approved (Took 92 days)

01/18/2018 - Received Text & Email regarding EAD/AP approval

01/22/2018 - Approval Notice received in the mail

01/22/2018 - EAD/AP card processed and mailed out via USPS. (Estimated delivery date 01/24/2018) 

01/24/2017 - EAD/AP card on hand

02/06/2018 - AOS interview appointment 

02/06/2018 - Interview - Recommended for approval

02/07/2018 - GC being produced

02/15/2018 - GC on hand:dance::dancing:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have the ability to jump on your spouses policy then I would recommend.  Usually a heckuva a lot cheaper than an individual policy

YMMV

32 minutes ago, Mojordan said:

Thanks in advance. 

Hi OP here are your options in the majority of them you'll likely need your marriage certificate to proceed:

All persons residing in the US must purchase insurance or pay a penalty in taxes - immigrants are no exception. Things you do not qualify for is Medicare and Medicaid.

1) Sign up for Obamacare - unfortunately you will likely miss the open enrollment window for this one, as it literally closes in a few days. However, based upon marriage, you will qualify for special enrollment. The problem is you haven't filed for AOS yet, and as dealing with Ocare is within government boundaries, they will need documentation from you - the earliest document would be your AOS NOA1, EAD, and or green card in that order. Since you would reside in California, you can also try the state exchange - which is something like California Care. Immigrants certainly qualify. Qualifying for a subsidy is not typical and based on the situation of the person.

2) Purchase any insurance privately that is available in your state. You certainly will also qualify. Majority of plans found privately can also be found on Ocare. The bonus is you can deal with the insurer directly and not have to wait around for documents.

3) Be added to your husband's insurance plan if he has one through work, or purchase a joint plan privately.

4) Wait until you are able to work and obtain a plan via your workplace. The penalty is far cheaper than a years worth of premiums. You can always pay out of pocket for any care you need if you can afford it, and there are cheaper options when you don't have insurance for basic care, like minute clinics.

Travel insurance, temporary insurance, and insurance marketed towards immigrants do not count -- the penalty will still apply as they are considered not federally compliant and coverage is subpar at best. You will not qualify for travel insurance - you are residing in the US, not visiting.

You do not need an SSN to obtain insurance, however you will find it a lot easier if you have it. Call around, speak to agents, and healthcare navigators. If you reach anyone that gives you conflicting info, says you need an SSN, or claims an immigrant cannot receive health insurance - demand a supervisor. It's all about what's the best plan for you and your family and what you can afford. There is very little that's affordable in health insurance these days. Expect to cough up the money.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, Mojordan said:

Thanks in advance. 

Do not travel until you have AP in hand.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 3 months later...
On 13/12/2017 at 11:48 PM, Mojordan said:

Thanks in advance. 

Hey can I ask what you did? I travel in the morning... won't be marines for another week so unsure what to do with insurance. Once I marry I will be added to my husbands insurance but what do I do until then? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.