LincolnOwasso

Divorced before Removal of Conditions

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a New Zealand citizen and I have lived in the U.S. for nearly three years. I applied for permanent residence based on marriage to my ex husband and we were approved with no problems. Two years later, we are now divorced. Our marriage was 100% entered into in good faith. We loved each other very much. A year after we were married I got pregnant with our son and shortly before he was born our relationship started to disintegrate. In January of this year we decided to separate and we were divorced in July. We obviously still have regular contact regarding our son. In March my green card will be up for renewal and my lawyer doesn't think I will have any problems proving that our marriage was bonafide. But I wanted to check in and see what other peoples experiences were and if I am forgetting anything I should submit as supporting supporting evidence.

I am submitting

• Our sons birth certificate
  • Joint bank statements
  • Three different credit cards and their statements that were joint
  • Phone records
  • Loans for our vehicle and two car titles
  • Joint insurance
  • Two joint tax returns
  • Affidavits from our friends
  • Photos
  • Christmas/Birthday cards
  • Joint lease agreement

Am I forgetting anything?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

From what I understand your 2 year greencard is attached to your marriage to the original petitioner. If you divorce before getting you 10 year greencard you you are no longer attached to the reason why you came to the US and will have to leave. I’d check with you lawyer because this is the information our lawyer has given us. 

No, if you can provide that the marriage was legitimate then you will not have to leave. You have to provide evidence that it was 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

From what I understand your 2 year greencard is attached to your marriage to the original petitioner. If you divorce before getting you 10 year greencard you you are no longer attached to the reason why you came to the US and will have to leave. I’d check with you lawyer because this is the information our lawyer has given us. 

if you don't know .. don't reply.... you clearly don't have much knowledge of immigration law.

you can file the removal of conditions with the divorce waiver. as long as you can provide enough proof that the marriage was entered into good faith you will have no problems. ( from what you are saying, you deff have enough evidence) it usually just takes a bit longer then usual but you should be fine

***CURRENT STATUS: US CITIZEN***

N-400 Naturalization Filed in the Texas LockBox (GC Date of 08/05/13)

00 Days- 05/09/16 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/10/16 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/10/16***

10 Days- 05/19/16 Received NOA

17 Days- 05/26/16 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/06/16

18 Days- 05/27/16 Biometrics Walk-in

***TRAVEL ABROAD FROM 06/15-06/30***

57 Days- 07/05/16 In Line For Interview :)

64 Days- 07/11/16 Interview Letter Mailed with a Scheduled date of 08/18/16

102 Days- 08/18/16 Interview (L) "Recommended For Approval"

106 Days- 08/22/16 In-Line for Oath :dancing:

117 Days- 09/02/16 Oath Ceremony (L) Officially a US CITIZEN.

121 Days- 09/06/16 Sent EXPEDITE passport application :dancing:

129 Days- 09/14/16 Received Passport :)

I-751 REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS FILED IN THE CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER (GC EXPIRATION DATE OF 08/05/15)

00 Days- 05/07/15 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/08/15 Package Delivered

***PRIORITY DATE OF 05/07/15 Even Tho Package Was Delivered On 05/08/15***

19 Days- 05/26/15 Received NOA

40 Days- 06/16/15 Biometrics Done

42 Days- 06/18/15 Stamp On Passport I-551 (evidence of permanent residency for 1 year with expiration date of 06/17/16)

181 Days- 11/04/15 Approved VIA Text Message 8:30 PM Eastern Time!

186 Days- 11/09/15 Approval letter came in from Charleston, SC office!

189 Days- 11/13/15 Greencard Arrived (L)

AOS, I-765, I-130 ADJUSTING THROUGH MARRIAGE (CURRENT IMMIGRATION STATUS: DACA, But came legally with Turist Visa)
00 Days- 05/14/13 Package Sent

01 Days- 05/15/13 Priority Date
08 Days- 05/22/13 Received NOA
14 Days- 05/28/13 Received Biometrics Letter For 06/12/13
16 Days- 05/30/13 Biometrics Walk-in:

36 Days- 06/19/13 Interview & Scheduling

49 Days- 07/02/13 USCIS Online Notification (interview Scheduled For 08/05/13)

63 Days- 07/16/13 EAD APPROVED good.gif

71 Days- 07/24/13 EAD Received

84 Days- 08/05/13 INTERVIEW!!!!!dancin5hr.gif

84 Days- 08/05/13 APPROVED ON THE SPOT BABY!

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take from start to finish? And if I will definitely need an interview?

1 hour ago, LincolnOwasso said:

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take from start to finish? And if I will definitely need an interview?

In my case it took about a year and a half, and I got an RFE (request for evidence), and an interview.

*~*~*moved from "IMBRA" to "effects of major family changes" - not an IMBRA-related question*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.