KCMO

Attesting or apostille of Foreign marriage certificate for USA

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi i have  a question.

I am an indian citizen ,married my husband who is a US citizen , in india at the registrar's office in civil ceremony. Ours is interracial marriage.  and our marriage certificate is government issued marriage certificate under special marriage act of indian legislation.

I applied for CR1 and got through interview fine , i came to US in dec 2014. Now my application I751 for REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS on my 2 year green card is being processed by CSC .

I am a september filer.  Like every one else who applied for removal of conditions at CSC i am also waiting for my 10 year green card while i am now eligible to apply for citizenship.

My husband recorded our marriage under official public records at jackson county recorder of deeds , missouri office when he came back to USA , a month after we were married in india. Its accessible online under official public records with the title International marriage license in jackson county recorder of deeds website.

Now that we have established our life here , i was wondering is there any requirement for me to have our indian marriage certificate attested or apostilled by Indian Ministry of external affairs for any legal purposes here? such as inheritances, wills , life insurance, property transfers, Spousal IRAs etc. ? We live in Missouri and missouri considers any lawful foreign marriage valid here as well.

I was wondering , may be we should attest or apostille our marriage certificate from ministry of external affairs, but its issued by the government anyways under special marriage act, so is it really needed? Especially for legal purposes here?

and IF it is needed , then what is the process of attesting it from here in USA as we cant go to india right now, Or should i contact family there in India and have them start the process?

Any feedback regarding this is appreciated. Thanks!

No need. 

I only got the international version of our marriage certificate. I think military wanted a copy as husband was in the army but other than that no one has ever needed to see our marriage certificate. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
7 minutes ago, milimelo said:

No need. 

I only got the international version of our marriage certificate. I think military wanted a copy as husband was in the army but other than that no one has ever needed to see our marriage certificate. 

Thank you for your reply. Good to know that it is enough. So there are no issues when it comes to transfer of property , Spousal IRAs etc using our international marriage certificate , correct?  The courts here recognize it without creating problems for us?

Timeline
1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Nobody will ask to see your marriage certificate

Thank you. I love this forum and all the help i have received from members :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.