wtrav

Starting K1 while in the US?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello,

I recently got my tourist visa approved and plan to start the K1 process soon. I will be the beneficiary and will visit my fiancé in February. We will start the K1 then. 

As we don't want to be separated for a long time and from what I've read the waiting time for K1 is between 6-9 months now, I am thinking if we can start the K1 while I am there on the tourist visa. I may be permitted to stay as a tourist up to 6 months. Do you think we will do something wrong if we subimt the k1 application and I stay with him in the US for a couple of months (depending on how much time I get allowed at the POE). I won't overstay, just want to spend as much time as possible with my man and go back to my home country to finish the waiting.

Thanks a lot!

Edited by wtrav
add info

wow, that would be amazing, i wish i had thought of that! although in my culture we get married before moving in with each other, if you can move in before on a tourist visa, that's def the way I'd want to go.

i personally don't see anything wrong with it since you'd be unmarried and then filing the right visa for marriage

Nothing wrong with applying whilst you are visiting. But how are you supporting yourself for 6 months in the US? Will you have travel insurance for medical coverage for that long? Don't you have a job to go back to? How will you keep making your rent and utility payments at home whilst you're gone for so long? 

Is this your first meeting? If so, I would urge against filing right away. No one wants to be apart - we've all been through that or are going through that. But you also want a strong case for your visa application. This is a step that affects every day of the rest of your life. Don't rush into it. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

Nothing wrong with applying whilst you are visiting. But how are you supporting yourself for 6 months in the US? Will you have travel insurance for medical coverage for that long? Don't you have a job to go back to? How will you keep making your rent and utility payments at home whilst you're gone for so long? 

Is this your first meeting? If so, I would urge against filing right away. No one wants to be apart - we've all been through that or are going through that. But you also want a strong case for your visa application. This is a step that affects every day of the rest of your life. Don't rush into it. 

I have around 7k USD in savings and will stay with my boyfriend so won't have a lot of expenses besides food, ect. As he said, he will be payng the rent for the place he lives at with or without me there. I have a job in my country, however can work remotely from the US. I live with my parents here, so I don't pay for rent nor have any bills coming in my name. 

As you said marriage is an important decision. I've never been married before. This is why I think it will be good if we get some time living together and believe that staying with him for some time on a tourist visa will help to see how we will do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Don’t be surprised if you get turned back at the border. It’s not happened to me but I applied for a B2 to get some more time with my now fiance and got refused and now I’m not eligible for the VWP. I’ve not seen my fiance since he came here in May.

I was self employed, was going to be working remotely and I own my own property in the UK with a healthy bank balance. They never asked for financial ties, but on paper they just saw a single female, no kids and could be away for her country for up to 6 months. Even though I had no intention of doing so, it’s seen as an intending immigrant. Be careful.

Edited by June2017UK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Being refused a B does not mean you can not use ESTA, been there done that.

File now, save 2 months at least.

Working remotely is a grey area, do not be surprised if it is an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I tried for VWP again last week - over a year since my refusal - still travel unauthorised unfortunately even though I am now ‘employed’. 

B refusal cancels out the ESTA, I read the small print on that. If you got to still use your ESTA, I wish I was ignorant to the darn small print!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Thanks. Job is not an issue. I will have to quit at some point anyways so it won't be a big deal to stop working prior of my visit as a tourist or just get a long unpaid leave. Thanks for pointing out that working remotely is a grey area. I didn't think of that. I def don't want to jeopardize the k1 process.

My concern is if staying on a tourist visa for some time while waiting for the NOA2 will be a problem.

Timeline
1 minute ago, wtrav said:

Thanks. Job is not an issue. I will have to quit at some point anyways so it won't be a big deal to stop working prior of my visit as a tourist or just get a long unpaid leave. Thanks for pointing out that working remotely is a grey area. I didn't think of that. I def don't want to jeopardize the k1 process.

My concern is if staying on a tourist visa for some time while waiting for the NOA2 will be a problem.

Staying and waiting for the NOA2 is not a problem.

Working remotely, being able to quit a job and living with your parents will be a problem for a tourist status.

As Boiler says, apply for K1 now and save yourself time.

Timeline

Basically you need to update ESTA with your changed circumstances, most people seem to get approval after 6 months or so.

Some are immediately approved some are not approved at all, varies.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

29 minutes ago, wtrav said:

I have around 7k USD in savings and will stay with my boyfriend so won't have a lot of expenses besides food, ect. As he said, he will be payng the rent for the place he lives at with or without me there. I have a job in my country, however can work remotely from the US. I live with my parents here, so I don't pay for rent nor have any bills coming in my name. 

As you said marriage is an important decision. I've never been married before. This is why I think it will be good if we get some time living together and believe that staying with him for some time on a tourist visa will help to see how we will do.

$7000 won't last long here but it's good that's he's shouldering most of the costs. 

Don't be surprised if you show up at the border claiming to be a tourist but with a laptop in your bag and other things related to your job that they send you back. 

Assume you have healthcare sorted out for 6 months? Or is that what the $7000 is for?

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Basically you need to update ESTA with your changed circumstances, most people seem to get approval after 6 months or so.

My country is not part of the ESTA so I had to apply for a visa.

I already have a B1/B2 visa that was recently approved. At the interview I told them that I need it to visit my boyfriend and they asked me questions mainly about him. I know there is a risk of getting denied at the POE.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Thanks Boiler - How do I change the circumstances on ESTA? I completed that I was denied last year and the employer details changed since my last request. I was refused overnight  - more or less immediately. Any other ideas?

I don’t want to waste another $160 on getting refused a B2 again given I am waiting on a K1 and will be able to quit my job and will be an intending immigrant in the near future. I’m really stuck between a rock and a hard place with a visitor visa now (and hence telling @wtrav  to be careful)

Edited by June2017UK

Timeline
3 minutes ago, June2017UK said:

Thanks Boiler - How do I change the circumstances on ESTA? I completed that I was denied last year and the employer details changed since my last request. I was refused overnight  - more or less immediately. Any other ideas?

I don’t want to was another $160 on getting refused a B2 again given I am waiting on a K1 and will be able to quit my job and will be an intending immigrant in the near future. I’m really stuck between a rock and a hard place with a visitor visa now (and hence telling @wtrav  to be careful)

Sounds like you did update ESTA and it has been some time, try again?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.