GypseaWoman

How to Obtain a Police Clearance Certificate from Egypt from abroad

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hoping for some advice. 

I am an Irish citizen currently living in the Cayman Islands. I am preparing to send required docs to NVC for my I-130 F1 as my PD is getting close (eek). My US citizen father is my sponsor. We have everything ready to send but...

I used to live in the little town of Dahab, South Sinai, Egypt for a few years as a dive instructor circa 2008-2013. I imagine the NVC will need a police clearance certificate to cover my time there. I was there first as a tourist and later with a work permit. 

So the big question: how can I obtain a police clearance certificate without having to fly back to Egypt?

What I’ve tried so far: I have been emailing/calling Egyptian consulates in Houston, NYC and DC but get no answers or replies. Websites are in Arabic. I have asked my friends still in Dahab to ask at the local police station but given the most recent bombíng in the Sinai, the police have said they are unable to help (baksheesh or no baksheesh) someone from abroad. I found a Toronto-based company that suggested they are able to apply on my behalf for a minimum of $360US with a total processing time of 14 weeks but I naturally a bit suspect. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Like many of you, we’ve been waiting so long for this - 7 years at this stage - and now that the ball is in our court want to make sure we get it right!

A million thank yous for any help.

- A

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** two identical threads in other forums removed.  Please only post once on a question/ issue. ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I suggest taking your Egyptian documents (visa, work permit, etc.) and your passport, and anything else you can think of (US ID, passport pictures, etc.) and paying a visit to the consulate that serves your area. Explain your situation and see if you can get the form, do the finger printing there, and pay the fees.  I understand it may be a long trip, but customer service in some embassies is bad and you have to show up to talk to someone in person to get any kind of help, and your situation is somewhat unique because you are not a citizen of Egypt.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks, andy78. The nearest Egyptian consulate is in Washington DC. I live in the Cayman Islands. For sure we know there are often no easy answers to these things! Crazy but true but it’s looking like the most logical thing to do is to fly back to my old town in Egypt and get it done at the police station there so at least I can have a piece of paper in my hand instead of potentially wasting money flying to places I don’t know anyone and walk away with nothing and no guarantees. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.