Jonan

K-1processing times

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi VJ members!

Just a quick question, my fiance(petitioner) in the US has sent our packet to the Texas lockbox but no acknowledgment from their part yet (texts or mail). How long is the usual waiting time?   Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

It’s taking longer and longer these days at USCIS. Did you fill out the texting or emailing notification form? That was how we heard back from USCIS super fast before getting hard copy in the mail. Our NOA1 took weeks to get in the mail but a text message saying they received it with the WAC number was only a couple of days out. Same with NOA2. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jonan said:

It was a money order. So No. We have no idea if they have encashed it. Btw, my fiance sent the packet on November 9,2017

you probably didn't get tracking number from USPS?

Try waiting for one more week and I'm tagging a friend who had a similar situation.

However, these days noa1s are also slow so I can't give a definite answer.

@Swissmiss82 Maybe you can explain what you did? It looks like these cases are happening a lot lately.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

It’s taking longer and longer these days at USCIS. Did you fill out the texting or emailing notification form? That was how we heard back from USCIS super fast before getting hard copy in the mail. Our NOA1 took weeks to get in the mail but a text message saying they received it with the WAC number was only a couple of days out. Same with NOA2. 

Good for you! We opted for a text message. None received yet.  🙁

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Naes said:

Try waiting for one more week and I'm tagging a friend who had a similar situation.

@Swissmiss82 Maybe you can explain what you did? It looks like these cases are happening a lot lately.

Wait it is. Will update you guys if we hear anything this week. I've already created a VJ timeline. 

Edited by Jonan

11 minutes ago, Naes said:

@Jonan yes we had a similar situation.

We sent the entire file in March and have not heard back. We thought that's the normal process as we'll get the NOA2 (back then we had no idea about each step like that). So after not hearing back until June or July (we knew couples that got NOA2 in 2-3 months so we figured to call and find out) we called and they told us they don't have any files from us etc. so the check never got cashed and they said we need to re send the file!!!!

we lost sooo much time!

in August we re sent the entire package of course and days later they sent u a rejection as we used the old forms. of cooourse - as they changed them in june or july. we were not aware as we just re printed what we had from march.

anyways - we re did the entire new forms and submitted again and within days we got our confirmation.

So my tip: wait another 5 working days, and if you don't hear back then don't waste time, re-submit the entire file, send it with FEDEX where they have to sign for the received package! that's how we did and worked. USPS may show delivered but they deliver 1000 of packages and it may be that one file that slips away and gets lost :( 

N-400: 12/05/2023 (confirmed fingerprints are re-used)

Interview scheduled for: 05/09/2024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Omg don’t ever trust USPS for this process. Use FedEX or DHL. USPS sucks! They lose everything, and when it’s not lost it takes a million years and a day to get them, and their customer service sucks because you’re always on hold for so many hours and nothing gets resolved or calls get dropped. Don’t ever use USPS for anything in your life specially this. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Just be careful I think the address when it is FedEx is a little different than the lockbox.

Somebody Please correct me if I'm wrong! 

1 minute ago, Naes said:

Just be careful I think the address when it is FedEx is a little different than the lockbox.

Somebody Please correct me if I'm wrong! 

You are correct.  The lockbox does not have a signatory so if Fedex allows the address, they may not be able to deliver it.  Same with certified mail.  Since the lock box is basically a PO Box you need to use the street address.  We used USPS and mailed on June 1 and got the received email and text on June 6.  I had another friend here who waited a month for the NOA1.  Same situation.  They used a money order and couldn't track it.  Next time just use a personal check so you know when it is cashed!!!  WAIT...  Let's not have a next time!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Swissmiss82 said:

@Jonan yes we had a similar situation.

We sent the entire file in March and have not heard back. We thought that's the normal process as we'll get the NOA2 (back then we had no idea about each step like that). So after not hearing back until June or July (we knew couples that got NOA2 in 2-3 months so we figured to call and find out) we called and they told us they don't have any files from us etc. so the check never got cashed and they said we need to re send the file!!!!

we lost sooo much time!

in August we re sent the entire package of course and days later they sent u a rejection as we used the old forms. of cooourse - as they changed them in june or july. we were not aware as we just re printed what we had from march.

anyways - we re did the entire new forms and submitted again and within days we got our confirmation.

So my tip: wait another 5 working days, and if you don't hear back then don't waste time, re-submit the entire file, send it with FEDEX where they have to sign for the received package! that's how we did and worked. USPS may show delivered but they deliver 1000 of packages and it may be that one file that slips away and gets lost :( Sorry to hear about your delays! I just hope USCIS got our packet. We'll call this week or next!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

when you do get the case number (and only then ) send a letter to give them an email ID

you get all inforamtion so much faster

expecially the Checklist that will come later for the interview

it is too long to text it and it will have a cover sheet (can be printed out) to take to embassy for interview

otherwise you wait for the letter to come in mail

1 hour ago, TNJ17 said:

Omg don’t ever trust USPS for this process. Use FedEX or DHL. USPS sucks! They lose everything, and when it’s not lost it takes a million years and a day to get them, and their customer service sucks because you’re always on hold for so many hours and nothing gets resolved or calls get dropped. Don’t ever use USPS for anything in your life specially this. 

I've only used USPS and had no issues and never paid more than $6.95 per mailing or waited more than 2 days for delivery (and I live on the east coast). Just use Priority Mail so you have a tracking number, and a trackable payment method (check or money order issued by a service that permits tracking).

Either way, one needs to ensure they are using the right address as it varies depending on if you are using USPS or another service.

Full disclosure: I do contract work for USPS (albeit in their IT area, not anything to do with actual mail handling, delivery, or customer service).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 hours ago, Jonan said:

It was a money order. So No. We have no idea if they have encashed it. Btw, my fiance sent the packet on November 9,2017

Please tell me you had tracking on that package. Using money orders makes it harder to reclaim the money if the package is lost. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.