gel1991

Has anyone ever had the I-601 waiver approved?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello

I am a US citizen and my husband had his I-601A waiver approved January 2017 and then had his interview in Mexico September 2017 however they gave him the 221G documents then requested the I-601 waiver for the crime he committed 8 years ago. He is now 26 years old, when he was 18 years old he went to jail for receiving stolen goods as a felony then came down to a misdemeanor. The lawyer said we don't need the I-601 waiver however I keep seeing online that he does. Has anyone gone through something like this and what are the chances of a I-601 waiver to be approved?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

at this point it doesn't matter what the lawyer said

the embassy told you that you need the waiver

you have to do what immigration says / simple as that

i hope you kept a copy of the waiver as looks like immigration lost it

Edited by adil-rafa

1 hour ago, gel1991 said:

Hello

I am a US citizen and my husband had his I-601A waiver approved January 2017 and then had his interview in Mexico September 2017 however they gave him the 221G documents then requested the I-601 waiver for the crime he committed 8 years ago. He is now 26 years old, when he was 18 years old he went to jail for receiving stolen goods as a felony then came down to a misdemeanor. The lawyer said we don't need the I-601 waiver however I keep seeing online that he does. Has anyone gone through something like this and what are the chances of a I-601 waiver to be approved?

The average approval rate is about 80%.

https://www.mmhpc.com/2015/05/a-look-at-the-numbers-i-601-i-601a-waivers/ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If the Lawyer knew about his Criminal History, sack them and find one that knows what they are doing.

A well prepared waiver has a very high success rate, the overall numbers include those written on the back of the proverbial ** packet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

** = ciggy, hopefully that is not blocked

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Thank you everone for the responses! We are just so confused becasuse we have had other lawyers second opinion and they all seem to be on the same page about my husband not needing the I-601 waiver however we decided to just go through with it. We are just worried it could be denied. What are the chances of it being denied after the I-601A waiver has been approved?

Crime- Felony for receiving stolen property then reduced to a misdemeanor 3 years later after completing 3 year probation. My husband did a total of 29 days in jail.

Edited by gel1991

Timeline
Just now, gel1991 said:

Thank you everone for the responses! We are just so confused becasuse we have had other lawyers second opinion and they all seem to be on the same page about my husband not needing the I-601 waiver however we decided to just go through with it. We are just worried it could be denied. What are the chances of it being denied after the I-601A waiver has been approved?

Crime- Felony for receiving stolen property then reduced to a misdemeanor 3 years later after completing 3 year probation.

Certainly sounds like a CIMT and requiring a waiver, why do they think that it was not the case.

I 601A was for illegal presence.

Timeline

both lawyers said because he was in jail under 1 year and because its a petty theft. They said the I-601 waivers are for more severe crimes and because my husbands crime was a small one they said he shouldn't have to do one. We said we will go ahead and just do it since now the department of state has gotten back to us saying the Mexico is right and we should do it however now our lawyer is saying the department of state in Washington DC is wrong. I dont understand why our lawyer is saying the department of state is wrong if before they replied our lawyer said whatever the department of state says is whats has to happen.

Timeline

It is not how long you serve it is how long you could have served. Basic stuff.

You need a new Lawyer, you will find recommended ones mentioned on here and I2US.

Timeline

yes thats what its looking like i feel like just subbmitting the waiver with them since they are not charging me to submit the waitver only the waiver fee. I feel like they owe me that since we have already paid them $6k.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, gel1991 said:

yes thats what its looking like i feel like just subbmitting the waiver with them since they are not charging me to submit the waitver only the waiver fee. I feel like they owe me that since we have already paid them $6k.

Lawyers do not not do anything for nothing so sounds like they know they screwed up.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, gel1991 said:

oh man if they screwed up and cant admit it i am worried the second waiver may not get approved since my husband did do a crime

All down to the quality of the waiver, if they have done these before then a lot of it is cut and paste, especially Mexico.

Make sure you see it before it goes in, lots of good examples on Immigrate2US, so you can have a read and see what is expected.

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline

If the lawyer knew about the criminal history and did not recommend an I601, should look for a different lawyer. Approval rates are high for waivers right now. Best wishes 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.