JonJulia

Why Are People Getting RFEs for Websites (IMBRA) with I-129F Submissions?

96 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Why are people getting RFE's for HOW they met?  There is NOT one single question on the I-129F that pertains to circumstances of how people have met initially.  The only required information is how you met IN PERSON.  

Is the RFE just a result of front-loading? Did somebody tell their story (which isn't required) and mention meeting on a website....but didn't name it?

Help me out here.  If it doesn't ask for it, I'm not going to put it in there.  It seems to me that with so many applications.....someone could use it as a good excuse to kick it to the side.

Why wouldn't it be a better practice to wait until you need to send the I-134, beneficiaries' information, etc, to send your story in?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

it is best to write a letter of introduction of your application

how you were introduced

website or by a person

how you correspond

where you meet in person and when

how long where you togethe

at what point did you decide to be engaged

what are your future plans

just a summary of meeting and timespan

or get an RFE to say all and delay the process

and none of want any delays

Timeline
5 minutes ago, kris&me said:

it is best to write a letter of introduction of your application

how you were introduced

website or by a person

how you correspond

where you meet in person and when

how long where you togethe

at what point did you decide to be engaged

what are your future plans

just a summary of meeting and timespan

or get an RFE to say all and delay the process

and none of want any delays

Who says?  If you check 'no' on question 55, why would you need to?  Tell me one person who got a RFE for NOT writing what you suggested.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

just got a ding saying i was mentioned

i got a huge RFE about how we met including if dating site how did i pay for it

who contacted who first how long before we met in person

Timeline
5 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

just got a ding saying i was mentioned

i got a huge RFE about how we met including if dating site how did i pay for it

who contacted who first how long before we met in person

Did you include anything in the initial filing to provoke the RFE? Was that the latest I-129F (2017) form? Did you check 'yes' on question 55?

Thanks

Timeline
10 minutes ago, kris&me said:

adil-rafa

if you don't want to believe our answers, why ask and insult us?

It's not that I don't believe your answer, but I want to know the situation that prompted the RFE.  Does everybody who files a I-129F that doesn't tell the story of how they met (and checks 'no' on question 55) get a RFE for something not asked for on the form? 

I'm not blindly following your suggestion without underlying support for it. Thanks

It seems that not everyone who met on a dating website gets an RFE (I did not), but why risk it.  Here's what I included in my application.

I-129F Supplement: Part 2, Question 34.a, explanation of meeting in person

I saw Francisco’s profile on a dating website in July, 2011.  I initiated contact, and over the course of several months the relationship developed.  He invited me to visit him in Brazil, and I have visited him in Brazil 4 times on the dates noted below. 

December 29, 2011 –January 12, 2012

August 10, 2012 – August 21, 2012

September 24, 2013 – October 9, 2013

October 15, 2014 – October 24, 2014

I had a copy of the terms and conditions from the website, as well as an email from the webmaster saying that they were not an IMBRA site, but I was never asked for any additional information.

If I may offer a word of advice...You can chose to do whatever you wish, but those of us who have been through the process know that USCIS considers misrepresentation to be grounds for denial at any step along the way.  To them an omission of facts is no different than lying.  You may not like their rules, but they set them and we have no alternative but to follow them or deal with the consequences.

Timeline

After i sent in my application i get the RFE not knowing i should have enclosed a letter about the packet and us

you don't have to follow blindly but this question of a letter of introduction has been discussed many times on  VJ  

just google 

do i need a letter of introduction (or similar question) when i apply for my finance (or spouse)

and we do not blindly advise

we ask

we listen to all advise 

and we come to realize much is country dependent

you don't list a country nor do you have a timeline and that restricts your answers here to the broad (for all) answers

please to help people best advise you by country let us know where your significant other is from and fill out a timeline (this is also many others will write if you google it)

we are all in this together and sincerely want the best possible advise and try not to mislead anyone

it is a hard heartbreaking process at times

Timeline
17 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

After i sent in my application i get the RFE not knowing i should have enclosed a letter about the packet and us

you don't have to follow blindly but this question of a letter of introduction has been discussed many times on  VJ  

just google 

do i need a letter of introduction (or similar question) when i apply for my finance (or spouse)

and we do not blindly advise

we ask

we listen to all advise 

and we come to realize much is country dependent

you don't list a country nor do you have a timeline and that restricts your answers here to the broad (for all) answers

please to help people best advise you by country let us know where your significant other is from and fill out a timeline (this is also many others will write if you google it)

we are all in this together and sincerely want the best possible advise and try not to mislead anyone

it is a hard heartbreaking process at times

With due respect, and from what I gather of your situation, it was around the time that IMBRA was passed, meaning a LONG time ago.  Your situation is completely different than a recent RFE for IMBRA.

9 minutes ago, JonJulia said:

With due respect, and from what I gather of your situation, it was around the time that IMBRA was passed, meaning a LONG time ago.  Your situation is completely different than a recent RFE for IMBRA.

I think their point was that all situations are different depending on country. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, ddtenor2 said:

It seems that not everyone who met on a dating website gets an RFE (I did not), but why risk it.  Here's what I included in my application.

I-129F Supplement: Part 2, Question 34.a, explanation of meeting in person

I saw Francisco’s profile on a dating website in July, 2011.  I initiated contact, and over the course of several months the relationship developed.  He invited me to visit him in Brazil, and I have visited him in Brazil 4 times on the dates noted below. 

December 29, 2011 –January 12, 2012

August 10, 2012 – August 21, 2012

September 24, 2013 – October 9, 2013

October 15, 2014 – October 24, 2014

I had a copy of the terms and conditions from the website, as well as an email from the webmaster saying that they were not an IMBRA site, but I was never asked for any additional information.

If I may offer a word of advice...You can chose to do whatever you wish, but those of us who have been through the process know that USCIS considers misrepresentation to be grounds for denial at any step along the way.  To them an omission of facts is no different than lying.  You may not like their rules, but they set them and we have no alternative but to follow them or deal with the consequences.

You see, this goes to my question.  I have read the instructions...very carefully.  I have a lot of legal experience, just not in this.  A careful reading of Question 34a plainly states they want to know the circumstances of your in person meeting, not how you initially met.  These are two different things.  Your specific example could have drawn a RFE....because you didn't name the dating website...or maybe you did and are just not stating it here and maybe you submitted their terms and conditions along with your i129F, but once more, you didn't state whether you submitted them or not.

Did you name the website? And did you include their terms and conditions? What year was this? Thanks

It is not a misrepresentation to not include something the form and instructions don't ask for.  They don't ask, why tell?

Lots of people have advice but I'm looking for situations whereby someone didn't 'tell their story' and got a RFE for IMBRA...recently...like in the last couple of years.  Thanks 

You are correct in that it isn't required information at the point of i129f. We included the "story" to give a timeline that tied into the in-person meeting only. Not cause it was required.

If one DID meet through an IMB however and did not mention it,  it would be concealing a material fact, which is grounds for denial and/or revocation of any immigration benefit, current or future. 

It will also be asked at the interview, at that point it would suck to get a 221g for it. Basically, I think the instructions are misunderstood a lot and that's why people do include it. It has been discussed many times on VJ - but it does make sense to include it, even though not specifically asked for.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i did not meet on a dating website / that was a question in my RFE

we met in person in Paris at Charles De Gaule airport when i was stranded in an ice storm with all ATM's down

he and his brother bought me a sandwich

just to let you know it was not as you think / i just did not know i had to write a letter saying how we originally was introduced and began our relationship

i told you did't write that letter and got an RFE just the question you asked 

just the same as adil-rafa for not writing the letter

Edited by kris&me
to add info

Timeline

and we did not meet on dating site

i was in Morocco to volunteer my time working with handicapped adults and worked with his aunt

she intorduced me

no dating site 

i just did not know i should have enclosed a letter as it was not stated in instructions so i had to explain

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.