hm139

Clarification on police certificate if lived in multiple countries

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband is from Chile but lived in Australia for six months and in New Zealand for ten months. According to this website (https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html) he shouldn't need a police certificate from either of those countries since he lived there for less than 12 months. He just needs the one from his home country. How accurate is this? Since he did live in NZ for close to a year, is it likely that they will ask him for a police certificate from there anyway?

We're just trying to get all our ducks in a row.

Anything less than 12 months does not need a police certificate for a CR1/IR1 visa. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you! I know that is what the website says. I am just worried because for example, on the I-130 checklist it doesn't say you need the beneficiary's birth certificate but on this forum I have seen people getting RFEs for that. So it's making me mistrust everything all the government websites say. And in theory, the consular officer can ask for any evidence they please, right?

18 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

i had to provide the birth certifcate and it had to be original but that is morocco

Hard to please my embassy

Everyone has to provide an original birth certificate at embassy or consulate. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

46 minutes ago, hm139 said:

Thank you! I know that is what the website says. I am just worried because for example, on the I-130 checklist it doesn't say you need the beneficiary's birth certificate but on this forum I have seen people getting RFEs for that. So it's making me mistrust everything all the government websites say. And in theory, the consular officer can ask for any evidence they please, right?

They could if they felt he was there 12 months and you cant prove otherwise.  Your choice to spend the time and money otherwise. 

Timeline

Okay, that makes sense. New Zealand criminal records are free so we might as well pull it.

If someone else on here has lived in a country for nearly but not quite 12 months, I would like to know your experiences if you were requested to submit a police certificate for that country anyway even though they are not technically required.

7 hours ago, hm139 said:

Okay, that makes sense. New Zealand criminal records are free so we might as well pull it.

If someone else on here has lived in a country for nearly but not quite 12 months, I would like to know your experiences if you were requested to submit a police certificate for that country anyway even though they are not technically required.

I know of a case, but DV not CR1, where the person lived in a country 9 or 10 months and had to produce a PCC. The CO had said it was needed because he’d been there longer than 6 months - which was technically incorrect but he had to get it. I can’t remember which consulate it was.

If it’s free and easy to get I’d do it, for peace of mind if nothing else. Enough to stress about with these interviews than adding another possible worry.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 hours ago, NikLR said:

Everyone has to provide an original birth certificate at embassy or consulate. 

i had to provide original to NVC and i had sent one in with the applicaition

all documents i sent with application were originals

1 hour ago, adil-rafa said:

i had to provide original to NVC and i had sent one in with the applicaition

all documents i sent with application were originals

There is only one original.   The rest would be certified copies.  The the USCIS specifically request you send them an original or certified copy of the birth certificate if the beneficiary? Did the NVC? Or did they ask for a copy of it? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

nope , morocco will issue several originals in Rabat / only need the seal

and their birth certifaicate is only good for 90 days so, see, all countries are really different

and after several years i had to send to NY state for an  original as mine was weather beaten

to be origanl only needs a seal from county or state 

i have 2 for each my sons 

i keep

and other i gave to them

Edited by adil-rafa

You're mistaking an original for a certified copy which is a copy issued by the original issuer.  There can only be ONE original document regardless of country.  

Regardless, unless requested specifically it's not required before interview. 

Timeline

My question is not about birth certificates. My point was that sometimes they will say they don't require a document (in the case of birth certs, it's not required at I-130 and yet people get RFEs for it anyway; I'm not talking about NVC stage) and yet they request it anyway. That's why I am wondering if my husband should get his police certificates and it seems he should. 

Edited by hm139

Personally I say no theyre not needed nor required.  I havent yet seen it requested for this visa type in 5 years. But...  If its easy and cheap, and you want to, do it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** I know you are all trying to be helpful, but pleas stick to the OP's questions, thank you!  ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.