garebear397

Living Apart - AOS Interview

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hey all -- question for you. So in a bit of a different situation. My wife came here on a k-1 visa back in August, and we got legally married (essentially courthouse marriage, non-religious) right away so that we could submit the application for the green card, AP, and EAD. But we still aren't living together (actually she lives with my parents) because we are planning for a larger religious ceremony in January back in her home country, once she receives her AP or Green Card. This was the best route we found for us to be able to live in the same country the soonest, and still have the religious ceremony in her home country (really important to her family). 

Us and our families are pretty religiously strict when it comes to marriage, so we don't feel comfortable living together until we are married under our religion (in January). But now we have an interview for our AOS and I figure they will ask about living arrangements, in which we will explain everything as we just did. We do have lots of evidence of our marriage: joint bank accounts, car insurance, life insurance, lots of pictures, we can get letters from our minister about the religious aspect of our marriage, contracts and evidence of our wedding and honeymoon upcoming in January, our families have met and we have pictures, really anything you would need. 

I think it will be fine, they may get suspicious at first but we are 100% legit so they can dig deep and find everything is real. So just wondering if anyone has any advice or similar experiences. Thanks! 

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I'm sure you can explain your living situation at the interview when it comes to it!

I've seen cases with people living apart for different reasons (work,school) so I don't really see it as a huge issue.

Also, by the time your interview takes place, you'll probably already be living together.

Good luck!

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.