wadeanderson

Spouse now US citizen, now we want to bring her mother over on tourist visa

13 posts in this topic

I started here on visajourney in 2012 and found a wealth of information and great discussions with others going through the K1 visa when I was going through it with my now wife.  We made it through that stressful process and she is now a US Citizen!

Now we want to bring her mother over to visit us.  I was unable to find any sample forms or information on tourist visas like I did for the K1 visa.  We are just starting out the process now and looking for some guidance.

Thank you!

Wade

Your mother files on her own. You do nothing.

She must provide proof of strong ties to Ecuador.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

4 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Your mother files on her own. You do nothing.

She must provide proof of strong ties to Ecuador.

I was hoping to help her through the process by assisting with filling out forms and guiding her through the process.

I know before there were sample forms on here for the k1 visa and lots of information about the questions asked during the interview.  That was very helpful to have an understanding of the types of questions being asked.

Just now, wadeanderson said:

I was hoping to help her through the process by assisting with filling out forms and guiding her through the process.

I know before there were sample forms on here for the k1 visa and lots of information about the questions asked during the interview.  That was very helpful to have an understanding of the types of questions being asked.

Ah, I see. No problem with that. @H&T provided the correct link to the process. You can check interview reviews to get an idea of what to expect.

Good luck.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You bring a citizen doesn't help her chances. If anything it ruins it as they will be scared she won't return. If she doesn't have a strong job, a house and income it will almost be denied. 

48 minutes ago, caliliving said:

You bring a citizen doesn't help her chances. If anything it ruins it as they will be scared she won't return. If she doesn't have a strong job, a house and income it will almost be denied. 

OK thanks, She has a good job, owns a house, has a bank account, and all of the family is there in Ecuador. a LOT of family with her other children, and many grandchildren.  My wife is the only one of the family not there.  Our goal is to eventually move to Ecuador and all of us live there not here.  But we just need to make sure we can do what we can now so my wife's mother can come visit us on a tourist visa.

I thought about filling out the forms for her to make sure they are accurate, also would consider sending more money to her bank account if the amount of money makes a difference in the account.

I don't know how she will prove all those ties to Ecuador but want to try to do everything we can to get it right the first time.

3 hours ago, wadeanderson said:

I thought about filling out the forms for her to make sure they are accurate, also would consider sending more money to her bank account if the amount of money makes a difference in the account.

You can help her with the DS-160....she's still the one who submits it and is responsible for the accuracy of its contents.

Showing that you are able to support yourself in the US so you aren't inclined to work or become a public charge is good, hence why bringing copies of bank statements over a period of time can be helpful. However, sending money into somebody's account to try to make it appear better than it their current situation is a very common tactic and something all COs are aware of.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading that tourists visas can be anywhere from 1 month to 10 years.  I can't find anything specific for Ecuadorians who get tourist visas.  Is there a standard or is it decided at the interview?

She goes for an interview on the 11th and wondering what to anticipate, she thinks she might have to use it within 1 month and that would be too soon.  I thought she might  have 6 months to use it.  Also is it good for multiple entries, if she is here can we go back and forth to Mexico or Canada?

thanks!

17 minutes ago, wadeanderson said:

I have been reading that tourists visas can be anywhere from 1 month to 10 years.  I can't find anything specific for Ecuadorians who get tourist visas.  Is there a standard or is it decided at the interview?

She goes for an interview on the 11th and wondering what to anticipate, she thinks she might have to use it within 1 month and that would be too soon.  I thought she might  have 6 months to use it.  Also is it good for multiple entries, if she is here can we go back and forth to Mexico or Canada?

A US tourist visa can be single use or multi-use (multi-use is much more common). The visa's validity is typically a maximum of 1, 3, 5, or 10 years. I think some countries have a shorter maximum validity than others, but don't hold me to that piece. The CO will determine the actual validity period (and single/multi use) of the visa during/after the interview.

The maximum duration of stay on any single trip is determined by CBP...it can be anywhere from 1 day (yes this has happened!) to 6 months. Unless the individual is planning an extended stay of a few months, this is likely not an issue.

A validity period of only 1 month would seem on the unusual side of things, IMO. Not impossible, but typically they issue a visa for longer than that.

You can visit Canada and/or Mexico during a trip. Just note that doing so does not reset the I-94's expiration. The I-94 is issued at POE with the last day of legal stay. Don't stay past that date.

Those 2 countries are unique in this aspect...typically if you leave the US and re-enter, you get a new I-94 issued.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

49 minutes ago, geowrian said:

A US tourist visa can be single use or multi-use (multi-use is much more common). The visa's validity is typically a maximum of 1, 3, 5, or 10 years. I think some countries have a shorter maximum validity than others, but don't hold me to that piece. The CO will determine the actual validity period (and single/multi use) of the visa during/after the interview.

The maximum duration of stay on any single trip is determined by CBP...it can be anywhere from 1 day (yes this has happened!) to 6 months. Unless the individual is planning an extended stay of a few months, this is likely not an issue.

A validity period of only 1 month would seem on the unusual side of things, IMO. Not impossible, but typically they issue a visa for longer than that.

You can visit Canada and/or Mexico during a trip. Just note that doing so does not reset the I-94's expiration. The I-94 is issued at POE with the last day of legal stay. Don't stay past that date.

Those 2 countries are unique in this aspect...typically if you leave the US and re-enter, you get a new I-94 issued.

Thank you very much, that is very helpful information!!!

12 hours ago, geowrian said:

I’ve personally had both 1- and 10-year visas, at different stages of my life - I think it’s partly dependent on your personal circumstances.

i don’t know for sure but I’d think the thing about one month is confusing what the CBP officer may allow at entry, with the maximum validity of the visa. 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’ve personally had both 1- and 10-year visas, at different stages of my life - I think it’s partly dependent on your personal circumstances.

i don’t know for sure but I’d think the thing about one month is confusing what the CBP officer may allow at entry, with the maximum validity of the visa. 

thank you. Hopefully she gets approved after her appointment on the 11th and then we can make plans for the visit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.