pm5k

Visitor visa - enough ties to home country?

7 posts in this topic

We wanted to invite my MIL to visit us in the US for a few weeks. My wife has not filed an I-130 for her yet.

My MIL is a widow and and she has six children in Pakistan (a few of which are still in school) as well as elderly parents she cares for (basically she is the sole caretaker for all of these people)

Would these be enough ties to her home country to reduce the probability of rejection?

If my wife does decide to file an I-130 for her, would a visit visa rejection have a negative impact on the I-130?

Also, would a letter of invitation help?  The visitor visa page says they are not taken into consideration but many people swear by such letters. 

Edited by pm5k

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Filed: Timeline

visitor visa denial has no impact on 130.

Be careful to not play both sides. If she can come on a 130 what happens to the elderly parents and adult children staying behind? On one side you say she is oh so tied to there and on the other you say she can immigrate. 

Letters of invitations are immigrate folklore. Worthless. (Do you need a letter of invitation if you want to go to Paris to see the Eiffel Tower?)

A denied visitor visa will not impact an I-130 later.

But one thing stands out. You claim she has strong ties to her country but has a daughter in the US that is ready to file a petition for her. Just something to ponder about.

Doesn't hurt to have her try and see.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

CO will ask if MIL is the sole caretaker, then how her children and elderly parents going to take care when ur MIL go visit US?  When ur wife file I130 for her mother, how can she leave her children and elderly parents behind?  u can not have both way.  

deny visitor visa no matter for I130.

invitation not need.  okay if u send.  

Single (widowed) woman from Pakistan with a US son able to petition for her...I think it's pretty unlikely from Pakistan, sorry. The family to take care of can be a tie, but is probably not enough in itself here.

A letter of invitation won't help. People that provide one and the person gets the visa may swear it works, but it's just as effective as a rain dance causing rain (sorry to anybody who believes in this...I still respect you, just not the lack of science). Oooh...maybe I can make a visa dance...

The only thing to lose (so long as she is 100% honest) is the $160 application fee.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

15 minutes ago, pm5k said:

We wanted to invite my MIL to visit us in the US for a few weeks. My wife has not filed an I-130 for her yet.

My MIL is a widow and and she has six children in Pakistan (a few of which are still in school) as well as elderly parents she cares for (basically she is the sole caretaker for all of these people)

Would these be enough ties to her home country to reduce the probability of rejection?

If my wife does decide to file an I-130 for her, would a visit visa rejection have a negative impact on the I-130?

Also, would a letter of invitation help?  The visitor visa page says they are not taken into consideration but many people swear by such letters. 

Strong tie really depends on how the CO will view her ties. I know 1 person who's the only tie in the country she lives at is her job but got a 3 year multi- entry. One other person I personally know doesn't have a penny in her name but have 6 grand kids and also got a visa. All she can do is apply and give every proof she has regarding her strong tie. The worst that can happen is she lose $160 and not getting a visitors visa.

You all make valid points regarding the I-130, which is why one was not filed yet. We were just wondering in case we were to file one in the future (situation can change). 

Thanks for the feedback

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.