Documents required for n400 for married but separated status

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi All

Brief Background about my case:

- Got i751 approved as waiver for extreme cruelty and battery

- Eligible for n400 as based on 3 years marriage with USC and extreme cruelty
- Current marital status : Separated and dealing with contested divorce in India

- Available supporting documents:

1. GC copy

2. Marriage certificate

3. IT return for past 3 years

4. Tax transcripts for past 3 years

5. Spouse naturalization certificate copy

Questions:

1. Are the above documents sufficient for n400 online application?

2. Do I have any dependency on my spouse for naturalization process?

3. Any additional suggestions are welcome

Thank you!

47 minutes ago, destinychild1 said:

Hi All

- Current marital status : Separated and dealing with contested divorce in India

1. GC copy

2. Marriage certificate

Questions:

Thank you!

Edited by Lenchick

13 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

1 hour ago, destinychild1 said:

Hi All

1. GC copy

2. Marriage certificate

Questions:

Thank you!

You have all the same requirements as other spouses except that the one that requires to live in a marital union is waived. Follow the instruction. Here is also the manual. Maybe you will find some additional info

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter3.html

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/19/2017 at 4:48 PM, Lenchick said:

You have all the same requirements as other spouses except that the one that requires to live in a marital union is waived. Follow the instruction. Here is also the manual. Maybe you will find some additional info

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter3.html

Thank you Lenchick!

This implies that I need not submit all documents submitted to USCIS for ROC (including proof of bonafide marriage & extreme cruelty) ?

11 hours ago, destinychild1 said:

Thank you Lenchick!

This implies that I need not submit all documents submitted to USCIS for ROC (including proof of bonafide marriage & extreme cruelty) ?

You certainly need to submit documents that prove extreme cruelty otherwise how they would know that the requirement to live in a marital union for you is waived. Only these exceptions apply to you, the rest is the same documents like for others 

2. Exception to Marital Union and U.S. Citizenship Requirements for Spouses

A person who was a spouse subjected to battering or extreme cruelty by their citizen spouse is exempt from the following naturalization requirements:

Living in marital union with the citizen spouse for at least three years at the time of filing the naturalization application; and

U.S. citizenship status of applicant’s spouse from the time of filing until the time the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance. [18]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.