Abdeslam

Engagement party

19 posts in this topic

It doesn't matter if you have a party or not. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Abdeslam said:

Me and my fiance didn't have an engagement party , is it something that can deny our K1 visa , i am from algeria , in the other hand , we are afraid to make en engagement party because (EL FATHA) is considered as a religious marriage 

Thank's for your feedback

Be careful with religious engagement parties....this can make you "too married" in USCIS's eyes when applying for the K1 visa.

If you did *not* have an engagement party, no that is not a reason for denial.  

Having one, it can be, especially if it's considered a religious marriage by doing it.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

33 minutes ago, Going through said:

Be careful with religious engagement parties....this can make you "too married" in USCIS's eyes when applying for the K1 visa.

If you did *not* have an engagement party, no that is not a reason for denial.  

Having one, it can be, especially if it's considered a religious marriage by doing it.

Thanks for your advise , the thing is i have seen some couple getting denied in Mena country because they had no engagement party , and in the other hand i have seen some couple getting denied because they had an engagement party some i am a bit confused

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We did not have an engagement party (Morocco). The consular officer did ask my fiancé if we had one, he just said 'no' and then they moved on to the next question. We were still approved. :)

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

9 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

We did not have an engagement party (Morocco). The consular officer did ask my fiancé if we had one, he just said 'no' and then they moved on to the next question. We were still approved. :)

Morroco embassy is similaire to the algerian one , i will try to avoid making a engagement party , we already submited our i-129 and we are waiting for the NOA2

3 hours ago, Abdeslam said:

Thanks for your advise , the thing is i have seen some couple getting denied in Mena country because they had no engagement party , and in the other hand i have seen some couple getting denied because they had an engagement party some i am a bit confused

Where have you seen where people have been getting denied for NOT doing an engagement party? 

Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

Where have you seen where people have been getting denied for NOT doing an engagement party? 

i know some one from tunisia , at the end of his interview the CO told him , "there's something wrong with your relationship , i can't understand why you didn't made an engagement party" , then he put him on an administrative processing and then he got rejected shortly after 

Just now, Abdeslam said:

i know some one from tunisia , at the end of his interview the CO told him , "there's something wrong with your relationship , i can't understand why you didn't made an engagement party" , then he put him on an administrative processing and then he got rejected shortly after 

I can understand why you are worried about this but the vast majority of people from the MENA region on here get approved with no problem without an engagement party at all. The only people that really have problems are people that do a engagement party and according to local culture they are "traditionally married" at this point in time. So the CO sees these pictures in either the interview or your FB page(yes they do look at your Fb) sees this and says "Ok, looks like you guys already got married so I am going to deny you and you have to refile under CR1 visa". 

I have seen that scenario play more times on here than I can count on honestly. We have had people on here ask about doing one then they don't like the responses here we give them, they go ahead and do it anyway, then at the interview get denied for being married. Then that person came back to VJ mad because they now have to go with the CR1 visa. I believe this person was from Pakistan if I remember correctly. So the safe bet would be not to have one. 

1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I can understand why you are worried about this but the vast majority of people from the MENA region on here get approved with no problem without an engagement party at all. The only people that really have problems are people that do a engagement party and according to local culture they are "traditionally married" at this point in time. So the CO sees these pictures in either the interview or your FB page(yes they do look at your Fb) sees this and says "Ok, looks like you guys already got married so I am going to deny you and you have to refile under CR1 visa". 

I have seen that scenario play more times on here than I can count on honestly. We have had people on here ask about doing one then they don't like the responses here we give them, they go ahead and do it anyway, then at the interview get denied for being married. Then that person came back to VJ mad because they now have to go with the CR1 visa. I believe this person was from Pakistan if I remember correctly. So the safe bet would be not to have one. 

yes , even @RJandHamid  advised me to avoid an engagement party , i will go with your advise Thanks for the answer and the feed back

3 minutes ago, Abdeslam said:

yes , even @RJandHamid  advised me to avoid an engagement party , i will go with your advise Thanks for the answer and the feed back

That's not a problem and I am happy to help honestly. We are here to help each no matter what country and spread some wisdom around that we have seen on here. You will more than likely get asked why you didn't have one but just tell them the truth and there shouldn't be a problem at all, but make sure you have your answer already thought up. Best of luck to you. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
9 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I can understand why you are worried about this but the vast majority of people from the MENA region on here get approved with no problem without an engagement party at all. 

If you look at USCIS statistics for k1 approvals, the vast majority of people from MENA countries do NOT get approved unless they are same age with 4+ visits. If you are on any country specific groups you will see an overwhelming number who dont.  

They may get their visa approved on the US side and get their NOA2 but I'd say a majority k1 don't get approved at consulate. I can link you to the numbers if you don't believe me. 

4 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

If you look at USCIS statistics for k1 approvals, the vast majority of people from MENA countries do NOT get approved unless they are same age with 4+ visits. If you are on any country specific groups you will see an overwhelming number who dont.  

They may get their visa approved on the US side and get their NOA2 but I'd say a majority k1 don't get approved at consulate. I can link you to the numbers if you don't believe me. 

I was talking about getting approved without an engagement party. Of course I know the issues that MENA embassies have if being hard embassies overall. But not having a engagement party is not going be the reasin that you will get denied.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You specifically said the "vast majority of people from the MENA region on here get approved with no problem" 

but you're saying you meant was, of the small amount of people who actually do get appeoved, an engagement party was irrelevant? 

cause the first statement sounds quite different. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.