27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

1) Does anyone have experience with applying for a K-1 visa as a gay couple?

2) We (the U.S. citizen and the foreign citizen) both live outside the U.S. for now, so is it possible to start the process from our country of residence and then move the U.S. together?

Edited by eeis77

On question 2, the US petitioner must be domiciled in the US in order to petition someone :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline

The petitioner must prove domicile to sponsor to get the green card, I know, but we have no intention of moving back to Korea after marriage. 

Can't we get him in on a K-1, get married, then prove domicile by me getting a job/house/etc. in order to apply for the green card?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I think the process you want is Direct Consular Filing, but may be for married couples only. If SSM isn't available where you live, Iceland is a good option.  My husband and I got married there as it allows you to file everything ahead of time with no waiting period once you are there and both can be noncitizens of Iceland. Other countries with SSM have the same restrictions as any marriage, often one party must be a citizen and/or both parties must present in person to file 10-30 days in advance of the ceremony.   It may not be the answer you wanted, but may be most in line with what you can do right now. 

Edited by bakphx1@aol.com
Autocorrect error noted

Timeline
3 minutes ago, bakphx1@aol.com said:

I think the process you want is Direct Consular Filing, but may be for married couples only. If SSM isn't available where you live, Iceland is a good option.  My husband and I got married there as it allows you to file everything ahead of time with no waiting period once you are there and both can be noncitizens of Iceland. Other countries with SSM have the same restrictions as any marriage, often one party must be a citizen and/or both parties must present in person to file 10-30 days in advance of the ceremony.   It may not be the answer you wanted, but may be most indulgent line with what you can do right now. 

So does that mean that you were able to enter the U.S. together and did not have to separate?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, eeis77 said:

So does that mean that you were able to enter the U.S. together and did not have to separate?

We had to separate.  My husband still has to finish up at home with things so I returned to the US.  He comes in December. 

I'm not sure how soon you plan to return.  If you are going to be living abroad for a while, he can get his visa in the meantime and hopefully have it in hand when you return.  If your plans are immediate, it won't help much. But if you're staying there for the foreseeable future, then it could be seamless. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, bakphx1@aol.com said:

We had to separate.  My husband still has to finish up at home with things so I returned to the US.  He comes in December. 

I'm not sure how soon you plan to return.  If you are going to be living abroad for a while, he can get his visa in the meantime and hopefully have it in hand when you return.  If your plans are immediate, it won't help much. But if you're staying there for the foreseeable future, then it could be seamless. 

I'm not sure what you mean. We are both living in South Korea now. We would like to apply for K-1 from within Korea and then go to the U.S. together. If getting married in Iceland is the better option, then we may do that. In any case, we don't want to separate. We are looking for a way to apply for his visa and get approved so that we can go together. Did you have to separate for legal visa purposes or just for personal business?  Was it legally possible for you guys to enter the States together?

Timeline
Just now, eeis77 said:

I'm not sure what you mean. We are both living in South Korea now. We would like to apply for K-1 from within Korea and then go to the U.S. together. If getting married in Iceland is the better option, then we may do that. In any case, we don't want to separate. We are looking for a way to apply for his visa and get approved so that we can go together. Did you have to separate for legal visa purposes or just for personal business?  Was it legally possible for you guys to enter the States together?

We would have had to separate regardless.  The marriage itself doesn't mean anything visa-wise.  It's just a basis to begin the process.  If you're not planning to return to the states right away, you can do the DCF and finish the process and return together.  If you are planning to come home very soon there's not a quick process.  You'd be better off coming here and filing a K1 if time is the most important thing. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, bakphx1@aol.com said:

We would have had to separate regardless.  The marriage itself doesn't mean anything visa-wise.  It's just a basis to begin the process.  If you're not planning to return to the states right away, you can do the DCF and finish the process and return together.  If you are planning to come home very soon there's not a quick process.  You'd be better off coming here and filing a K1 if time is the most important thing. 

You had to separate regardless?  Then how would it be different for us?  Why didn't you try to do the DCF if it's possible?  

DCF is offered for every country.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
4 hours ago, eeis77 said:

You had to separate regardless?  Then how would it be different for us?  Why didn't you try to do the DCF if it's possible?  

I was living in the US the whole time, so I couldn't. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Reestablishing domicile isn’t as difficult as it sounds, it just means you must show a connection to the US and a willingness to move back before or at the same time as your fiance. 

You must meet the financial requirements to sponsor your fiancé. So if you don’t have a salary in the US, you must find a joint sponsor in the US that meets the financial requirements for their household size. 

Considering the instability we’re currently living with in the US, I’d hurry up with the process if I were you. I would get married and file for DCF. Then you can live together in South Korea during the process. But remember, you need to have someone in the US as a joint sponsor.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

DCF is offered for every country.

No DCF is not offered for all countries. Very few actually. And not available for K1 filers.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
12 hours ago, eeis77 said:

1) Does anyone have experience with applying for a K-1 visa as a gay couple?

2) We (the U.S. citizen and the foreign citizen) both live outside the U.S. for now, so is it possible to start the process from our country of residence and then move the U.S. together?

Here's a list of things to compile to re-establish or establish Domicile. You don't have to leave your fiance'. You can stay together until Visa in hand and come back together. Just get your ducks in a row.

Domicile

Please note, if the petitioner lives with the beneficiary abroad, you'll need to provide proof of US domicile with the AOS package, as well as bring it with you to the interview. Please read the I-864 instructions (pages 3 and 4) for information about it. This is NOT needed if the petitioner is living in the US. Here is a sample cover letter to include in the package (it lists MANY possible documents, some may not be applicable, of course, to prove that you have, or will re-establish, domicile in the US):

NAME

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER

Form I-864

Part 4, Question 5: Country of Domicile

I, XXXX, am currently residing in FOREIGN COUNTRY with my spouse, SPOUSE'S NAME. Below you will find a list of attached documents to show that my principal residence is in the US and the steps that I have taken to return to the US with my family.

Steps I have taken to maintain US Domicile:

• Maintained my XXXX voter registration

• Maintained my XXXX credit card registered in the US with a US PO box

• Maintained my bank account at the XXXX Credit Union

• Maintained my bank account at XXXX Bank

• Maintained my XXXX drivers license

• Maintained my US retirement fund through XXXX

• Maintained my US investment account with XXXX

• Maintained my US PO box

• Maintained licensure by the XXXX

• Maintained membership in the XXXX

• Maintained my automobile in care of my parents

Supporting Documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Voter registration card showing permanent US address

• XXXX credit card statement showing US billing address

• XXXX Credit Union statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX Bank statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX drivers license showing permanent US address

• Retirement fund statement showing permanent US address

• Mutual fund statement showing permanent US address

• XXXX license currently up to date

• Renewal of XXXX membership

• County tax bill showing I still own a vehicle

Steps I have taken to return to the US to take up residence:

• Made arrangements for us to have a house to live in

• Contacted schools for requirements of things to bring to register my children in school

• Contacted my auto insurance company to find out about re-instating my insurance on my car

• Contacted shipping company for estimate of costs to ship belongings

Supporting documents for the above steps I have taken:

• Lease agreement for our house

• Email from schools regarding registration requirements

• Email from my former auto insurance company regarding my inquiry

• Email from XXXX with estimate and correspondence regarding shipping our belongings

I declare that I intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States no later than the date of spouse's admission into the US.

I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the statements in this letter and all accompanying evidence are true and correct.

Signature: ____________________________________________________ Date: ______________________

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.