minadent

Staying outside USA for 9 months to finish school

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello every one,

I got my green card last August . I only stayed in USA for 20 days then I travelled to Egypt to finish school and get my Masters. That was a short stay so. I did not work but I got a driving learner's permit. I will take the final exam in March. I will go back to USA in April or May at most so I will stay outside USA for 9 months. I don't have an advance parole.  I need to know if there  will be a problem with the CBP  when I get back to USA. 

I am thinking about going to USA  in January and staying there for 10 days so I will not be outside the country for more than 6 months but that will be costly,

what do you think? any advice is appreciated.

thanks 

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
32 minutes ago, minadent said:

Hello every one,

I got my green card last August . I only stayed in USA for 20 days then I travelled to Egypt to finish school and get my Masters. That was a short stay so. I did not work but I got a driving learner's permit. I will take the final exam in March. I will go back to USA in April or May at most so I will stay outside USA for 9 months. I don't have an advance parole.  I need to know if there  will be a problem with the CBP  when I get back to USA. 

I am thinking about going to USA  in January and staying there for 10 days so I will not be outside the country for more than 6 months but that will be costly,

thanks 

It would be best to go on January so you won't have any problems when you will apply for your naturalization. Plus i believe there would be more paperworks to be presented that would tell the reason for your overstay.

Filed: Other Timeline
1 hour ago, minadent said:

Hello every one,

thanks 

you should be okay with 9 months out of the country. just don't go over the limit (364 days) without having a Re-entry permit. But be ready to answer questions PoE officers might ask especially on the reason why you were out of the country for that long. 

But having a trip to the USA in between the period should make it a bit better but i know it will cost you money

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should be fine with only 9 months, but make sure you have your school documents with you when you re-enter if they question why you were gone for so long.  Personally I would forgo a short trip back since you have a very good reason for being outside the US and the overall time outside is less than a year.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

9 months won't be a problem for going back in, make sure you're coming back on a one-way ticket so they can see it's for good this time.

be aware your 5-year period for naturalization resets to your next entry date because you were out for longer than 6 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.