Kristi&Luigi

USCIS changed my address without my knowledge?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi guys, 

About 4 weeks ago I sent in a service expedite request for my petition. Since I'm overseas the tier 1 representative asked me to offer a US Address instead where they can mail the reply. I gave them my friends address and they said it was fine that way. The expedite was denied however bc they claimed my friend didn't have permission to receive any details about my case. 

Last Tuesday I sent in another expedite, this time with MY US address. I waited and nothing came, however the tier 1 told me they have mailed me requesting more information. 

Today I called  uscis to ask for a tracking number for this letter and they transfered me to tier 2. They asked me to verify name, birthday, and address, but said they couldn't help bc the address I told didn't match the one on file. I panicked and asked him if he needs my US address or my overseas. He said the address that I originally filed with my petition. I told him i filed with an overseas address amd he insisted that the address in his file is a US address. I repeated my u.s. address, he said no, but managed to varify my identity with my Social Security Number. He told me the reason I didn't receive my expedite request response is bc I had the wrong address and the letter has gone to this other address. I told him if I cqn guess one more address and he let me. I gave him my friends address from the previous expedite request, and he said this was the address he has in file... as MY CURRENT address and that's where the letter went. He also advised me to change my address online. 

I'm so confused. What should I do? I received my NOA1 perfectly overseas with no problems at all. And now for some reason my address has changed without my knowledge?  

Also, a little unrelated but, should I fax in my additional expedite information from overseas or have someone from the u.s fax it to them? 

Thank you for reading. I feel so frustrated and panicked and was hoping someone here may help me. 

Edited by Kristi&Luigi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

anyone have any idea what I should do about  the address? I went online to make an address change but it won't let me put down an overseas address. And I am currently overseas.

21 minutes ago, Kristi&Luigi said:

anyone have any idea what I should do about  the address? I went online to make an address change but it won't let me put down an overseas address. And I am currently overseas.

If it won't let you put a foreign address, you may need to call again for clarification on whether or not you can do that. If not, you may need to stick with your US address that you said you have. Downside if that you will NOT physically receive any of the mail addressed to you and would have to call constantly for updates. This can delay things greatly and you stand the risk of missing information.

Call them again. Likely they can make a manual change in the system whether they told you this the first time or not. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.