shakes2017

Type of ticket either one way or round trip for K visa

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, shakes2017 said:

Hi VJ members.

Kindly advise which type of ticket I require for a K visa. One way or a  round trip to the U.S 

Thanks.

Either is fine...book the one that is the cheapest;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chris2870 said:

Either is fine...book the one that is the cheapest;)

Thanks.

But some people are telling me since the K visa is an NIV, some airline won't allow people with an NIV to use one way ticket.  I Don't know how far this is true.

But for me it's much cheaper to purchase one way ticket here in Nairobi.

Timeline
1 minute ago, shakes2017 said:

Thanks.

But some people are telling me since the K visa is an NIV, some airline won't allow people with an NIV to use one way ticket.  I Don't know how far this is true.

But for me it's much cheaper to purchase one way ticket here in Nairobi.

check your preferred airline...If you do purchase a round trip because it's cheaper or required, just remember to cancel the return leg after arriving

Timeline
Just now, Chris2870 said:

check your preferred airline...If you do purchase a round trip because it's cheaper or required, just remember to cancel the return leg after arriving

Most major US carriers don't care, but I'm not familiar with your choices from Nairobi. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 minute ago, Chris2870 said:

Most major US carriers don't care, but I'm not familiar with your choices from Nairobi. 

Thanks.

Since the are no direct flights from Nairobi to the US, hence no US airlines available. i will just have to go for the round trip which is almost double the price. And remember to cancel the back ticket as you suggested once I arrive in the US.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, shakes2017 said:

Thanks.

Since the are no direct flights from Nairobi to the US, hence no US airlines available. i will just have to go for the round trip which is almost double the price. And remember to cancel the back ticket as you suggested once I arrive in the US.

cancelling the return leg isn't a requirement, it's just a courtesy to prevent airlines from over-booking;) plus if you schedule the return 3 months later, it gives you a safety net just in case. But if you survived this ordeal..I see nothing but happiness in your future...Good Luck, God Bless.....and welcome home!

Edited by Chris2870

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A K-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa, WITH immigrant intent. A one-way ticket is fine.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

22 minutes ago, missileman said:

Tell "those people" to stop giving immigration advice.....they are 100% wrong......you can fly into US with a one-way ticket and K-1.

Technically, you only need a one-way ticket for a K-1 as the intent is to marry and remain in the U.S. either as a permanent resident or by acquiring citizenship. 

However, some airline officials are not aware of immigration law.  My fiance was not permitted to board the flight from his hometown to Sao Paulo en route to the U.S. without having a return ticket.  This was with a United Airlines partner which should have known better!  He called me in tears from the airport in Brazil, and I had less than an hour to go online and find and book a return flight before his flight took off.  He barely had time to board the plane before they closed the door.  I don't want to frighten you.  I just want to make you aware of the possibility so you won't be surprised at the last minute.

Good luck on your journey!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Chris2870 said:

cancelling the return leg isn't a requirement, it's just a courtesy to prevent airlines from over-booking;) plus if you schedule the return 3 months later, it gives you a safety net just in case. But if you survived this ordeal..I see nothing but happiness in your future...Good Luck, God Bless.....and welcome home!

In thin case it is not just a curtosey to the airline. Not cancelling can cause some serious headaches when you try to go through adjustment of status and they think that you actually took that return flight and left the country. It shouldn't happen, but it has on several occasions.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, EG&XY said:

In thin case it is not just a curtosey to the airline. Not cancelling can cause some serious headaches when you try to go through adjustment of status and they think that you actually took that return flight and left the country. It shouldn't happen, but it has on several occasions.

Ok... So you left the country on the return ticket before AP or issued a waiver, and somehow got back in without them knowing it? Not saying it couldn't be an issue for a complete moron processing the AOS, but seriously?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Chris2870 said:

Ok... So you left the country on the return ticket before AP or issued a waiver, and somehow got back in without them knowing it? Not saying it couldn't be an issue for a complete moron processing the AOS, but seriously?

The need to cancel comes from the fact that, if the airline makes a mistake and notify the authorities you are in that flight through the flight manifest, then immigration might think you were actually leaving the country before getting AP and, therefore, abandoning AOS.

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Estibaliz said:

The need to cancel comes from the fact that, if the airline makes a mistake and notify the authorities you are in that flight through the flight manifest, then immigration might think you were actually leaving the country before getting AP and, therefore, abandoning AOS.

I94 tracks all movements by foreign nationals to and from the US though. So point still stands. Flight manifests are generated by check ins not reservations, and are the last thing to enter the aircraft prior to departure. I think we are over thinking this :) corporations often purchase numerous flights to and from the US for their execs and then they take the earliest one they can make and cancel the others. There are also " throw away " legs in tickets. 

Edited by Chris2870

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chris2870 said:

I94 tracks all movements by foreign nationals to and from the US though. So point still stands. Flight mani

I agree... But since people says it happened in the past, sure enough I wouldn't risk it.

And anyway, depending on when it's the return trip or if they let you move the dates, you can always use that for a visit home :)

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.