44 posts in this topic

Hello there fellow VJers. A friend of mine just received a notice for Stokes/fraud interview yesterday waiting nine months after his initial AOS interview. He's married to a girl from his cultural background i.e same race, same religion ect. But the officer somehow wasn't convinced that it is a bona fide marriage. So now he has been scheduled for the Stokes interview next month. I would want to know what should he expect at the interview? He is pretty nervous about it. Has anyone been in such situation recently? How many questions do they ask, do they separate the couple? What should they bring to the interview? How long does it normally last? Please shed some light on this matter. Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Google on the forum stokes interview and lots of good advice comes up. Basically be prepared for EVERYTHING. And don't take this lightly!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like he needs a lawyer.

Most importantly really not something he should rely on a friend to make enquiries about.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I was going to suggest and share with you what 2 of my friends went through and I think I will go through the same, but I am not in the same country as my wife.

But I know they ask all kind of questions and it depends on the officer. But I know one of my friend's interview lasted 1.5 hours according to what he told me and they asked him questions like "How many rooms in her home" and the one that made me laugh is "How many windows in their home's bathroom" and if they had intercourse.....I find it funny because his wife is pregnant actually hahahaha.  But he said they aske dhim almost all the questions on his I-130 form from the beginning to the end, then he said they were asking the same questions with a twist.  He said they showed him her signature and said if it is his signature.  Most of the questions he told me thye asked him were just to get him to say the wrong thing, but most questions he told me even the USCIS wouldnt know the answers to so I am not sure why they asked him.  Like for example, what is her siblings names?  How would the USCIS know the answers or how many windows in the bathroom.  They do that to anyone marrying a Yemeni citizens

Thanks for your reply, yes I do know that they ask your tricky/twisted questions just to see where you make a mistake or become overtly nervous because this Stokes interview is basically to deny you unless they are 100% convinced that it's a bona fide marriage.

I've heard of them splitting up the couple and asking each the exact same questions and comparing answers.  Things like, what side of the bed do each of you sleep on, who takes longer showers, ridiculous questions like that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

and they tape the interview........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Stokes interview... there is no limit to how personal the questions asked or how they are asked. More along the lines of interrogation than interview. No one can give an answer on what questions will be asked. Best to advise him to be prepared for the worse.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

2 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Stokes interview... there is no limit to how personal the questions asked or how they are asked. More along the lines of interrogation than interview. No one can give an answer on what questions will be asked. Best to advise him to be prepared for the worse.

Yes,it's more of an interrogation I've heard and to what extent they can go, no one knows. True that!

We had one. Completely ridiculous interview. Simple though. I forgot to mention one of my jobs (my husband didn't forget) and i forgot one of his scars. Other questions were like "Did you start living together before or after the wedding?" (how dumb, excuse me, is that. Everything is on g-325a form). We answered correctly, obviously.

Other questions that i remember: what did you do last night, how many locks do you have on the door (ugh! it makes me angry to think that they could have doubts about our marriage and asked us all these stupid questions!). Are you planning to have children. How many floors are in your building. How did you get to the interview. Where are the mail boxes located. Something about each other's siblings.

Anyway, there was no reason for us to go through this interview either, i don't know why they scheduled us for one. After that we got a notice to intend to deny that was full of mistakes (no actual reason to deny either) and had nothing to do with the interview (job and scar were not on the notice), lol. Why did we go to the interview then? No one knows.
Your friend will be fine.
I don't remember how long, but it was pretty quick.

Citizenship:

09/15/2020 - Filed online. Estimated completion given - July 2021 (10 months).

January 2021 - biometric reuse letter

April 2021 - interview scheduled

24/05/2021 - Interview (approved)

Passport:

July 23 - applied, expedited service

August 11 - received the passport

Aug. 16 (approximately) - received passport card

August 20 - received citizenship certificate back

Story of my almost 3 years long pending AOS - click below for details

Spoiler

• March 10 2015 - USCIS received i-130/i-485
  • March 30 2015 - got a RFE saying that my husband cannot be my sponsor because of his income, which is not true, but we didn't know what to do so we hired a lawyer.
  • August 10 2015 - interview (went great, by the way). Were told to wait 120 days.
  • December 10 2015, April 10 2016, May 10 2016 - sent SR, responses: "your case is pending"

• May 25 2016 - Went to Info Pass, the case is taken to the supervisor, were told we will get something in 30 days (of course, after 30 days we got nothing....).
  • June 27 2016 - Went to Info Pass again, they told us to wait for 2 more weeks and if we still get nothing send a service request letter by mail. Did it on the same day.
  • June 27 2016 - After Infopass, went to senator Durbin office in Chicago.
  • July 8 2016 - Went to Mike Quigley office.
  • July 8 2016 - Received useless response from Durbin. All they know is that the case is pending and it's in Chicago, can't do anything else.
  • July 12 2016: Infopass, spoke to the supervisor, promises promises.... more wait.
  • July 17 2016: Filed Ombudsman.
  • July 26 2016: Another info pass, same story. We talked to 3 supervisors already! I don't get it!
  • July 29 2016: Sent another useless SR just because.
  • Aug 9 2016: Talked to the officer we had interview with! She was supposed to mail us RFE a year ago but she forgot (!!!) ! They admitted it. Gave us RFE.
  • October 11 2016: Response to RFE is received by uscis (the RFE was ridiculous. Basically all same papers we ALREADY GAVE HER at the interview: bank statements, lease, etc).
  • October 20 2016: Infopass, useless, did not have time to wait for the supervisor.
  • November 9 2016: Infopass, talked to the supervisor, he said there are no problems with our case and he will make sure the officer will make a decision within a few days. Gave us his email and phone number, told us to contact him directly instead of going to info pass.
  • November 15 2016: emailed the supervisor, since a few days have passed and still no decision. No response.
  • November 17 2016: called the supervisor, no answer.
  • November 17 2016: sent Service Request about i-130 (Lol, like that will help..)
  • November 19 2016: sent a letter to the director of Chicago Field Office.
  • November 22 2016: sent Service Request about i-485 (Lol[2])
  • November 23 2016: talked to the supervisor again to learn that..........my medical and fingerprints have expired and i need to wait for a notice to do it all again.
  • November 25 2016: The response from the Field Office Director Martha Medina-Maltes: your case is pending and every effort is being made blah blah blah
  • December 5 2016: Received a response to i-485 SR that my case is "pending supervisor review"... absolutely random since the supervisor said i'll need redo my medical and fingerprints again.
  • December 19 2016: Went to USCIS, the officer came out and told me we need to come back for a 2nd interview!!! I'm shocked because our marriage is 100% real and i can't believe they have doubts about it! But i'm glad that it's at least something.
  • December 27: 2nd interview (Strokes). Reason: i-130 petition. We did fine but the officer said we will receive a NOID! Our lawyer said it must be something else, not our answers... but what?!

• Jan 23 - infopass, asked if anything was mailed regarding i-130. Were told that nothing was.
  • Jan 27 - sent a service request regarding I-130.
  • March 1 2017 - went to uscis (no info pass), our officer's supervisor finally gave us the noid full of nitpicking and lies, that shows that they do not pay attention to anything. 
  • March 10 2017 - 2 years AOS anniversary...wow. 
  • March 31 - The response to the noid is received by uscis!
  • June 1st - went to the office, the supervisor promised we will get the decision in 4-6 weeks.
  • July 19 - 7 weeks passed, went back to uscis. The supervisor said he will give the case to the officer tomorrow, we asked when we will get the decision, he said he doesn't know. 
  • September 6: My husband talked to the supervisor again, he said he gave the case to the other officer, and the case is huge so the officer has a lot to do, and we will get a decision in 2 weeks. 
  • September 25: Went back since no decision was received (as expected). The supervisor said the same thing: we will get a decision in 2 weeks
  • September 29: USCIS asked for medical! Eureka! First time in 2 and a half years they sent something by themselves! :wacko: i-130 still not approved.
  • October 2: Notice that i-130 is approved (notice date September 26, still no online update). Also went to get medical done (should be ready by the end of the week)
  • October 3:  biometrics
  • October 10: medical delivered to uscis! The waiting games begins again :wacko:
  • December 11: 2 months after medical was delivered talked to the supervisor again, he said the decision will be made BY tomorrow and we will find out from the website on Wednesday. 
  • December 14: Called uscis, tier 2 officer told me that the case is approved.
  • December 18: Received Approval notice (Dated December 12)

Long story short:
After the initial interview we received:

1) a RFE asking for the same papers again,

2) then were asked to come to the 2nd interview that went fine of course, 

3) then a NOID that was full of mistakes.

All that was given to us in person, only when we made our way straight to our officer. And still waiting. Lots of fun (not).

4) 6 months after receiving our response to the noid i-130 is approved. 2 years 6 months and 16 days of waiting for i-130. Supposed to take 5 months. No words.

5) After 2 years 9 months and 2 days (or 1008 days) of waiting i-485 is approved.

1 minute ago, banana_princess said:

We had one. Completely ridiculous interview. Simple though. I forgot to mention one of my jobs (my husband didn't forget) and i forgot one of his scars. Other questions were like "Did you start living together before or after the wedding?" (how dumb, excuse me, is that. Everything is on g-325a form). We answered correctly, obviously.

Other questions that i remember: what did you do last night, how many locks do you have on the door (ugh! it makes me angry to think that they could have doubts about our marriage and asked us all these stupid questions!). Are you planning to have children. How many floors are in your building. How did you get to the interview. Where are the mail boxes located. Something about each other's siblings.

Anyway, there was no reason for us to go through this interview either, i don't know why they scheduled us for one. After that we got a notice to intend to deny that was full of mistakes (no actual reason to deny either) and had nothing to do with the interview (job and scar were not on the notice), lol. Why did we go to the interview then? No one knows.
I don't remember how long, but it was pretty quick.

Thanks for your response. So they sent you an NOID even after the Stokes interview? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Just now, banana_princess said:

Really????  On what do base this statement??

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.