OptimusSpice

Sydney K1 Interview questions

7 posts in this topic

Hi All,

When we emailed the consulate that we are ready to be scheduled for our interview, we specifically requested dates of 26 Sept or Oct 3rd if possible.  When they replied with an interview date, they've scheduled my fiance for Aug 29th!  He has his medical on Aug 29th in Perth.  The doctor will be out all of Sept, so that appointment can not be rescheduled.  We will be responding "cancel" and requesting to be rescheduled.  I was wondering if anyone else has had such short notice (7 days) for a scheduled appointment and what have been people's experiences getting a new interview appointment scheduled?  

The second question I have is regarding my Fiance's birth certificate.  Yes, we know he has to bring an original and a copy.  My question is do they KEEP the ORIGINAL or do they return to him?  

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, OptimusSpice said:

The second question I have is regarding my Fiance's birth certificate.  Yes, we know he has to bring an original and a copy.  My question is do they KEEP the ORIGINAL or do they return to him?  

i reckon it will vary from consulate to embassy but for the UAE - sometimes they keep it, sometimes it is returned. for me, they asked to see the original first but returned it to me and just kept the copy. but in my friend's case, the same UAE US Embassy did not return the original birth certificate.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

They will return the original birth certificate but keep the copy.

Embassy very rarely will give you your preferred dates :(  The the Packet 3 highlight that all documents + medical must be ready before scheduling an interview appointment OR to schedule an interview appointment before booking a medical date? Just curious.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

i feel like the embassy deliberately schedules you on an inconvenient day. I at some point requested to be rescheduled between dates like 7/14 and 7/28 since I wouldn't be in the country yet before then, and what do you think, they scheduled me for 7/13. Fortunately, a date then opened up in their system which I grabbed. I don't know if that works for K1 visas (my appt was for J1), but perhaps you could try to see if they have an online calendar with a gap?

thanks for the responses.  This is the email I received:

Dear K Visa Petitioner,

The U.S. Consulate General in Sydney has received your approved petition.  

Your fiancée will need to create a profile via USTravelDocs, please ensure that they complete the delivery address details in the profile to ensure that documents will be returned to the correct address. Please then email our office providing the following information:

1)      Name:

2)      Case number (begins with SYD):

3)      Email address:

4)      Online Nonimmigrant Visa application (DS-160):

o   DS-160 confirmation number

o   You MUST select SYDNEY as your place of interview

5)      MRV Fee receipt for K Visa applicants (USD265.00):

An interview will not be scheduled until we see that this fee has been paid. You may pay the fee;

o   Online payment with a credit card

Via your USTravelDocs profile 

o   Australia Payment in Person at Australia Post

You will be required to scan and email a copy of the receipt with the above documents. Note: you will also need to bring the original receipt to your interview. There is no other way to verify this payment other than the original receipt. 

Thank you,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

So NO - it did not say that the Medical needed to be complete PRIOR to responding with the DS-160 and Fee confirmation to be scheduled for an interview. 

After we replied it was 8 more business days before we heard back, and that email had the link to the cover sheet checklist of things to bring to the interview and the interview date as set for 7 days away.  I guess we'll just see how it all goes from here.  We replied to cancel the interview date of Aug 29th and requesting to be rescheduled.  We'll see what the reply is.  I've tried calling, and after a maze of menus I was connected finally to a person (operator) who told me nothing can be done or said over the phone at all, everything has to be in writing in emails.  There is no way to see the interview calendar at all. 

Just as an FYI for anyone interested, the K1 Cover Sheet link is: https://au.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/81/2017/05/K1_Cover_Sheet.pdf

Also, the "required documents" link from the Sydney Consulate is: https://au.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/81/2017/05/Required-Docs.pdf

As for the birth certificate - we went ahead an ordered another original, just in case, though it does seem more likely that they will return the original.  This whole process is so nerve wracking sometimes that it's easy to get overwhelmed over little things that are easy to fix.  Haha! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I had the same issue with the Sydney Consulate, they scheduled me for an interview with only 7 days notice, but unlike you they took exactly 7 days to reply to my requests to change the interview.
So i ended up going to Sydney, had my medical and the next day was denied entry into the consulate because they rescheduled me the day of my interview. Such a waste of money and time. Luckily it was rescheduled, but i had to wait an extra 2 months because they took so long to reply to my emails. 
As answered above, they will give you the original birth certificate back.

Goodluck with everything

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.