bonjour2017

Those who spend more time out of US than in

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I see the posts all the time on different sites about the applicant wondering if they meet residency requirements for naturalization.

I don't get it. You first get a Green Card that is difficult to obtain. Then you proceed to spend more time out of the country than in by going back and forth and staying outside the country for long periods.  You want to apply for US Citizenship but you barely meet the residency requirements or the length of time actually in the US is questionable .  If I were you, I would be prepared to answer questions on why you needed to spend so much time outside of the US.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, bonjour2017 said:

I see the posts all the time on different sites about the applicant wondering if they meet residency requirements for naturalization.

I don't get it. You first get a Green Card that is difficult to obtain. Then you proceed to spend more time out of the country than in by going back and forth and staying outside the country for long periods.  You want to apply for US Citizenship but you barely meet the residency requirements or the length of time actually in the US is questionable .  If I were you, I would be prepared to answer questions on why you needed to spend so much time outside of the US.

I figure it's chalked up to one of two things:

1)  The person isn't aware of the regulations/restrictions/laws surrounding their residency (green card) status.  Or they get bad info from friends/family without doing any research themselves.  There's still the belief from a lot of people that they only have to "visit the US for 1 day out of the year" to hold onto their status.

2)  They don't care.  Or at least, they didn't care at the time.  Now that their life circumstances have changed, they all of a sudden are applying for naturalization and now realizing they don't meet the requirements/realizing the requirements existed.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

I agree with @Going through especially with #1. Cultural differences can lead to many foreigners not knowing or understanding the requirements for maintaining permanent residency.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

Good reasons.  

Seems like some don't really want to be a citizen, they want the protection a US passport provides in traveling. Lawyers are probably advising people to apply for citizenship to make money for them.  You can go on for years with a green card and have no travel difficulties as long as you don't stay out longer than 6 months.   If you need to travel and live outside the US for longer than 6 months, how can you establish a credible residence in the US?  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think what the originally poster is getting at is, why are you going through this whole process to not even spend time in the country, you can do that on a tourist visa.

But I guess they maybe see it as a golden ticket

CR-1 Visa

Service Center: Nebraska    Consulate: Mexico

Marriage: 12/9/2016    I-130 Sent: 12/10/2016    I-130 NOA1: 12/13/2016

Notice from USCIS: 8/23/2017

USCIS Approval Date: 8/21/2017

NOA2 issued date: 8/18/2017   NOA2 hardcopy received: 8/25/2017

Notice from USCIS Sent to NVC: 9/1/2017    NVC received: 9/8/2017

Received case and invoice numbers: 9/12/2017

Choice of Agent DS-261: 9/12/2017

Welcome Letter: 9/15/2017

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Received and paid IV bill: 9/19/2017    IV bill cleared bank: 9/21/2017

Requested Expedite: 9/20/2017

AOS and IV show as paid: 9/23/2017

DS260 unlocked: 9/23/2017

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Scan Date: 10/2/2017    Case Complete: 11/15/2017 (6 weeks 2 days!)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Biometrics: Mexico City Dec 27th Medical: Mexico City Dec 28th

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Interview Day: Jan 2nd   Interview Result: APPROVED

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

USCIS Notice - Green Card mailed: 3/28/18

Timeline
35 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

I agree with @Going through especially with #1. Cultural differences can lead to many foreigners not knowing or understanding the requirements for maintaining permanent residency.

Not just maintaining it---some don't even understand that you have to APPLY for immigration benefits at all.

I can't tell you the number of people who have been shocked to discover that I didn't "automatically become a citizen" upon my marriage.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

5 hours ago, bonjour2017 said:

lot of folks like this are playing games of sitting in two chairs at the same time, without strong wills to stay in the U.S. as their real home.

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAp0TsKmPJf_9JiQxsUnfh2F9kLzbr9cpfyuGv2RjfQ/edit?usp=sharing 

My immigration journey:

• 08/2011,H-1b entry
  • 05/2012, EB-1A 140 approval
  • 02/2013AOS / I-485 approval and received green card
  • 11/2017, N-400 e-filed (5-year term)
  • 09/2018, N-400 approval 
  • 10/2018, oath day
  • 11/26/2018, minor child N-600 mailed out(USPS)
  • 04/12/2019, N-600 approval letter  

Timeline

If I were an immigration officer, I would view frequent extended absences from the US as a huge red flag; and examine the evidence closely. No doubt they are used to people trying to game the system.  

Once you get US Citizenship, you can move away if you want without time restriction. You just have to pay your taxes.

On 8/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, bonjour2017 said:

If they meet the residency requirements, then they meet the residency requirements.  If they don't, then they don't.  It isn't subjective.  So, they don't need to justify their time outside the U.S. if they meet the residency requirements.  Why do you think they should?

Edited by jayjaym

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 8/29/2017 at 0:48 AM, jayjayj said:

If they meet the residency requirements, then they meet the residency requirements.  If they don't, then they don't.  It isn't subjective.  So, they don't need to justify their time outside the U.S. if they meet the residency requirements.  Why do you think they should?

Because immigrating to the US is a benefit that should come with stricter requirements. Too many people are using and abusing the system to reap the benefits without any commitment or obligation to the US.

When immigrants abuse the system or treat this country and it's laws poorly, it affects all immigrants and all those who want to immigrate to the US. I immigrated to the US to be with my USC born husband and to build a life with him here. I'm grateful for the benefit I was granted by the US government and I intend to return that by being respectful of this country and contribute to its success. Immigrants who come here to abuse the system and take without giving anything back should absolutely be held accountable. 

US resident tax payers , and especially those who are USC by birth, have every right to question laws they don't agree with or non-citizens and non-residents who try to take advantage of them and their country. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline
13 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Because immigrating to the US is a benefit that should come with stricter requirements. Too many people are using and abusing the system to reap the benefits without any commitment or obligation to the US.

When immigrants abuse the system or treat this country and it's laws poorly, it affects all immigrants and all those who want to immigrate to the US. I immigrated to the US to be with my USC born husband and to build a life with him here. I'm grateful for the benefit I was granted by the US government and I intend to return that by being respectful of this country and contribute to its success. Immigrants who come here to abuse the system and take without giving anything back should absolutely be held accountable. 

US resident tax payers , and especially those who are USC by birth, have every right to question laws they don't agree with or non-citizens and non-residents who try to take advantage of them and their country. 

Totally agree, I see no problem with people coming to marry, but then you see people bring over their whole families and often see them talk as if it were their right, its a burden on the tax payers, not that everyone does this, but more often than not, its not a fair exchange.

That's why they're looking at changing the way immigration works.

CR-1 Visa

Received and Paid AOS: 9/15/2017    AOS payment cleared my bank: 9/19/2017 (still shows In Process on CEAC)

Partial Expedite Approved at Counselor Level: 9/25/2017 (Must still wait out NVC)

Case sent to consulate: 11/20/2017     Received by consulate: 11/21/2017 (11/20 was a holiday in Mexico)

Interview Scheduled: Jan 2nd - I managed to get someones canceled appointment the very same day my case status turned to Ready.

Case says READY but consulate says case is not in system, I jumped the gun and booked an interview but they say its invalid until I receive the letter so I might have to cancel it.

Appointment Letter: Flew to Juarez just to get this, its actually 2 letters you need.

Tracking Number Received: Via email notice and website the afternoon of Jan 4th    Visa Delivered: Friday Jan 5th Mexico City

1 hour ago, mallafri76 said:

You're neither respecting the system nor respecting the laws.

You don't get to decide that laws should be enforced differently than they are written by Congress. That's what happens in a Banana Republic. The law is the law and in this case they meet the requirements of the law.  If Congress wanted a different law then they would have written a different law.  You don't get to decide that someone following the law isn't respecting the law or our country. That's total nonsense. 

What if I decide YOU should only be allowed to drive 50 miles and hour in a 55 zone? Should you follow my opinion or follow the actual law that is decided by the government?  How are you going to react the people telling you that you shouldn't take full advantage of the law and drive 55 in a 55 zone?

Click Spoiler for signature timeline.

3/10/2013 - Married

Green Card Process Summary
3/25/2013 - Submitted I-130's
01/13/2014 - Embassy Interview - Approved!
05/28/2014 - POE (U.S. Customs and Immigration Overseas Preclearance Facility - Abu Dhabi)
08/20/2014 - Green Card received.

Naturalization Process

01/20/2015 - Submitted N-400 for immediate naturalization under INA 319b.

02/10/2015 - Check cashed.

02/14/2015 - NOA

04/07/2015 - Case shipped to local field office.

04/08/2015 - Interview scheduled for July 6, 2015.

04/08/2015 - Wifey better be studying her butt off for the citizenship test!

07/08/2015 - Wifey was studying her butt off and passed the test easily. Oath ceremony completed on same day! We are done with our journey!

Timeline
1 hour ago, mallafri76 said:

Those who don't reside in the United States as US Citizens still have to pay US taxes every year.  Being a "resident" tax payer doesn't make a difference in that aspect.

People apply for citizenship have different reasons for doing so...some want to remain and live in the US, some want to later on move back to their country part-time and have the ease of going back and forth for extended periods without any travel/work/enter restrictions.  There are some cases where divorced applicants receive their citizenship and decide to move out of the country but still have US-born children who they can visit without restriction now, and stay as long as they want in the US or visit as often as they like due to now having the right to enter the country as a USC.  Everyone becomes a citizen for different reasons.  There is no US law that states once you become a citizen you can never move out of the country or have to renounce your US citizenship if you do.

Those with dual citizenship automatically---does that mean, then, that they should no longer be able to reap any rights or benefits in the country they were born and raised in or lived and worked in for 30+ years?  No.  Does that mean that they are "less" of a citizen of their home country, or abusing or less committed to their home country, because they chose to live in the States at some point in their life?  Of course not.  So why would it mean that way in reverse?

Timeline
3 hours ago, jayjayj said:

You're neither respecting the system nor respecting the laws.

You don't get to decide that laws should be enforced differently than they are written by Congress. That's what happens in a Banana Republic. The law is the law and in this case they meet the requirements of the law.  If Congress wanted a different law then they would have written a different law.  You don't get to decide that someone following the law isn't respecting the law or our country. That's total nonsense. 

What if I decide YOU should only be allowed to drive 50 miles and hour in a 55 zone? Should you follow my opinion or follow the actual law that is decided by the government?  How are you going to react the people telling you that you shouldn't take full advantage of the law and drive 55 in a 55 zone?

Right because we know everyone obeys the rules and regulations, that's not to say you don't and its not meant to say you're doing anything wrong, but I live in a big city and its obvious those laws aren't followed, but they're also difficult to enforce with so many people, its easy to get by them, and that's why they trying to change the laws now. There are many that unfortunately ruin it for the ones doing it the right way.

CR-1 Visa

i think, the USCIS just gives too much room and freedom  for people like this. so that they can take full advantage of this.

TRUMP government should ask for more strict rule preventing people from jumping around. the residency days should be adjusted to higher number.

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAp0TsKmPJf_9JiQxsUnfh2F9kLzbr9cpfyuGv2RjfQ/edit?usp=sharing 

My immigration journey:

• 08/2011,H-1b entry
  • 05/2012, EB-1A 140 approval
  • 02/2013AOS / I-485 approval and received green card
  • 11/2017, N-400 e-filed (5-year term)
  • 09/2018, N-400 approval 
  • 10/2018, oath day
  • 11/26/2018, minor child N-600 mailed out(USPS)
  • 04/12/2019, N-600 approval letter  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.