Robert&Yang

Does your Fiance(e) have English language issues ???

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If your Fiance(e) does not have an adequate command of English... he or she can expect to be grilled in an interview at a US Consulate or Embassy.

My Fiancee is fluent in English... and has a US College kid accent... and she opened the interview by stating that she is fluent and quite comfortable speaking English... which is a good idea if she or he is fluent.

If your Fiance(e)'s English is NOT adequate, I suggest that you stress the following:

• Your Fiance(e)'s English will develop over her or his first year in the US
  • The use of TECHNOLOGY will be sufficient until then... especially Smartphone Apps for REAL TIME translation

Google Translate can translate REAL TIME while someone is speaking... and can also translate a menu in REAL TIME as you hold a Smartphone over a menu.  It's like a magnifying glass that changes the words as you go down the menu.  No photos are required.  Just install Google Translate on your Smartphone... open the app... change the "FROM" and "TO" Languages (e.g., ENGLISH > CHINESE)... and tap the MICROPHONE icon to translate REAL TIME voice from one language to another... or use the camera icon to translate text from one language to another.

The photos below show a photo of a Russian girl who is Boris Nemtsov's daughter.  Nemtsov... an opponent of Putin... was the former opposition leader in Russia.  He was murdered on a bridge near St. Basil's just south of the Kremlin.  I wondered what was written on the T-Shirt of the rebel leader's daughter... so I help up my smartphone with Google Translate... and without even taking a photo... Google translated the words... and also kept the original font and color (two tones of blue).  Pretty cool.

Similarly... a menu from Macaroni Grill can be translated in real time from English to Chinese (simplified).  Note that Italian words do not necessarily translate well as the selected language is English to Chinese... not Italian to Chinese.  Your Fiancee should be aware of this.

Your Finace(e) should be very familiar with this technology... so that she or he can speak intelligently... and downplay the importance of not know English well before entering the USA... while stressing the fact that language skills are just not that important upon entering the USA.  Couples can communicate with technology... easily.

Good luck to all.

daughter-of-boris-nemtsov-the-former-leader-of-liberal-sps-faction-BPB79M.jpg

105_0287 iii.jpg

Macaroni Grill Menu - English.JPG

Macaroni Grill Menu - English - Chinese.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I had no idea Google translate could do this! Thank you for the info! 

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

~~topic is not about the K1 process.  Moved to moving here and your new lkfe as the information could be handy for a new immigrant~~ 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
35 minutes ago, NikLR said:

~~topic is not about the K1 process.  Moved to moving here and your new lkfe as the information could be handy for a new immigrant~~ 

Are you CRAZY?

I have 2 masters degrees.  How many do you have NikLR?

I have 2 decades of global business consulting.  How many do you have?

This information is about the INTERVIEW... and would be valid for most visa types.

People looking for interview help would not be looking under "Moving to the USA..."

USE YOUR HEAD !!!

Put if back where I had it... and copy it to other via types.

6 hours ago, Robert&Yang said:

Are you CRAZY?

This information is about the INTERVIEW... and would be valid for most visa types.

People looking for interview help would not be looking under "Moving to the USA..."

USE YOUR HEAD !!!

Gee, I'm not Niki, but I also have 2 masters degrees. May I comment?

And you're not required to speak English to get a visa, even an immigrant visa- all embassies/consulates have local language speakers available for interviews - but this information sure is of great help to non-English speakers who have moved here. The moving of the thread makes perfect sense to me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The thread will stay where it is.

Robert, assaulting people within threads (or via PM) violates the Terms of Service to which you agreed when you signed up for the site.  If you have problems with a decision made by an Organizer or Moderator, either hit the "report" button to express your reasoning, or send the individual a polite PM of inquiry.

That said, thank you for an enlightening original post.  Everyone will now please return to discussion of it.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 hours ago, Robert&Yang said:

Are you CRAZY?

USE YOUR HEAD !!!

Wow.  No need for that.  Moderators run the forum and decide the appropriate destination for threads.

Visa applicants aren't judged on their ability to fluently speak English, only that they can properly and sufficiently communicate with their benficiary/SO.  

Your google translate info, while it may be helpful, does not only pertain to interviewing.  

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline
53 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Phones are not allowed within the embassies or consulates.  So while this information is handy for REAL life, it does NOT help people within their visa interviews. 

Again, thank you for the information for new immigrants for whom English may be a 2nd, 3rd, etc language.  I'm sure they will find it helpful to help them learn if they have issues, both before the interview and after moving to the USA. 

Have a nice day! 

I disagree.  This technology is extremely helpful in an interview.

I am a Project Manager and Program Manager... so I have managed to get resources on projects here in the US and in other countries... including China... for many years using work visas.  The level of English required for a work visa is variable... so I make sure that the person addresses this is the interview.  For example... if a new consultant or engineer on a project needs to sit with an employee of a global corporation or a public sector employee... to explain new procedures or policies for new job tasks... then the consultant has to have an advanced level of English. If the new consultant is a Chinese developer who will report to a Chinese developer team lead... the the level of English is not as important.  In all cases... I have already assessed the English skills of the person relative to the position requirements.

Language is ALWAYS a topic in an interview.  That's why language is a primary question on all interview practice exercises that I have seen.  I assembled several practice exercises for my fiance... and you should too.

Smartphones are NOT permitted in an interview... and that's why I stated the following:

"Similarly... a menu from Macaroni Grill can be translated in real time from English to Chinese (simplified).  Note that Italian words do not necessarily translate well as the selected language is English to Chinese... not Italian to Chinese.  Your Fiancee should be aware of this.

Your Finace(e) should be very familiar with this technology... so that she or he can speak intelligently... and downplay the importance of not know English well before entering the USA... while stressing the fact that language skills are just not that important upon entering the USA.  Couples can communicate with technology... easily."

So... if your Fiance(e) has language issues... your FIANCE(E) should be aware of this technology... learn it well... and be able to speak intelligently about the technology... in English or her or his native language... during the interview.

Apparently... it's the immigration officer's job to grill all visa applicants on language... just to see how the applicant responds.  

I offered a good response.  You should use it.

I posted this topic again under K1 visa... but it is relevant to all visa types in an interview... and it's also helpful for new immigrants to any country.

Edited by Robert&Yang

~~removed duplicate topic in K1 process and procedures.  Posting more than once on a subject is considered spamming and against the TOS.  If you have an issue with your thread or post, you may report your post and speak to a moderator.~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To state the obvious most people in the US speak Murican, I have had to correct a number of people today.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Google translate is a handy tool in your arsenal no doubt.  However when it comes to truly understanding a foreign language and having an in depth conversation with someone, it requires much more than a phone app.  On top of that, machine translations are not very good.  My co-worker who is bilingual English/Spanish points out all the time, how poor the translation is.  And English/Spanish is much easier than English/Chinese.  Machine translation still has a long ways to go.  If I were the CO, I would be much more impressed by someone who put forth the effort and took a few English classes.  Because in the end that is what it's going to take, time and effort.  Interesting idea but I think your argument is weak and further highlights the fact that someone can't speak English well.  

Edited by Zzyzx

AOS

01-10-2018 -  AOS packet sent (I-485/I-131/I-765)

01-12-2018 - NOA1 receipt date (I-485/I-131/I-765)

01-16-2018 - 3 Texts/Emails Received (AOS)

01-27-2018 - NOA1 & Biometrics Appt letters received

02-09-2018 - Bio-metrics Appointment

02-09-2018 - Bio-metrics Appointment

05-25-2018 - I-797 for I-131/I-765 EAD and AP Approved

06-02-2018 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received by Mail 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.